Gotta love those 65 foot single handed snap "T" casts!!!

B

brookiesRfun

I just spent the day on a creek fishing for smb with new line for my 8wt. It is the Whulff Ambush. It shoot like a dream...No fish caught but It will shoot a #8 streamer 65 feet using a Snap T single handed.!!!! It even casts a cray fish fly with heavy lead eyes in a size 6! Great line once ya get her figured out. No false casting needed with this line! It will work great for steelhead this fall when wade fishing smaller streams where there is no back cast room.
I would reccomd this line to anyone. It does take a day to get used to using it though.
Tight lines
Greg

I used a an 8wt Wulff Ambush last season (this calender year) for Steelhead on my 7wt. The only trouble I had with it was when it would ice up (think bull whip) or I tried using some sort of sink tip or sinking poly leader. It would just overload a little. I think 'm going to "spare spool" a 7wt Ambush for this year and keep them both handy.

The thing that impressed me the most was overhead casting from shore (stillwater) with heavier flies like big Clousers. It doesnt lay out a ton of line but it will "shoot" a bit. Its not the prettiest cast but it gets them out there.

I would recommend the Ambush as well.

turkey wrote:
I used a an 8wt Wulff Ambush last season (this calender year) for Steelhead on my 7wt. The only trouble I had with it was when it would ice up (think bull whip) or I tried using some sort of sink tip or sinking poly leader. It would just overload a little. I think 'm going to "spare spool" a 7wt Ambush for this year and keep them both handy.

The thing that impressed me the most was overhead casting from shore (stillwater) with heavier flies like big Clousers. It doesnt lay out a ton of line but it will "shoot" a bit. Its not the prettiest cast but it gets them out there.

I would recommend the Ambush as well.
Yes, it doesn't cast pretty it hits the water a little hard but it does turn over those heavy flys and it does shoot well. For it to be the "perfect" line if the head was just about 8 foot longer it would be great i think. But it gets the heavier flys out there which is what I need for smallies from my canoe or for steel head. i must admit that most of the fish I catch are at 35 feet or less.

brookiesRfun wrote:
i must admit that most of the fish I catch are at 35 feet or less.

Agreed. Even if I have a sinking versi/poly leader on, I can roll out a cast to 35'. It just might take me 1 "false roll" cast to get the line up. I'm sure though that this line wasn't intended for tips.

If you use an indicator and split shot though on a regular leader its great.

If you are of this ilk you should look at Airflo Speydicator too. Its made for "nymphing".

turkey,

even if you can't snap t because of position, utilize spey technique to get your line higher in the water column and you will not have false roll cast anymore.

putnams's video on youtube explains it all quite well.

stevehalupka wrote:
turkey,

even if you can't snap t because of position, utilize spey technique to get your line higher in the water column and you will not have false roll cast anymore.

putnams's video on youtube explains it all quite well.

I don't like using Snap T's. I feel like its too easy for a huge fly to crack my top section and break my rod. I normally will use a Circle Spey as there is a lot more clearance from the rod tip.

What do you mean by "utilize spey technique"? Thats a little vague. If I have enough line out, meaning the entire head and some running line, I can strip line in, and subsequently lift my tip in the water column before the next cast. I usually only employ the false roll in really deep holes when I have a full sinker on the front end.

I will definitely check out the video that you recommended. Thanks.

the only time i will use a snapT is with a dry line... so very rarely
but if i do, i always do a set-up roll cast... without it, any dug fly (from tip or fly weight) will make short work of your rod
i'm a much bigger fan of Circle-speys, since they set you up for a much more effective and fuller sweep, and they are more powerful for lifting and much more rod friendly... but i usually only use circles for a reverse
river left i'm much more inclined to do a downstream poke (which will pull up most tips and flies i fish...even against the wind) or a circle into a poke (if i can't beat the wind)

Exactly. With a big fly the snap t can be trouble.

Im still fairly "green" when it comes to spey/skagit/scandi casts and I don't think the Ambush line is the best tool for them.

I like using the Poke too as its much more forgiving timing wise than a single and even a double.

I cast one time on my upwind shoulder side and felt the size 3 hook brush my ear. I'll not forget that lesson soon.

Back