Goose Biots for Cased Caddis

gochs

gochs

I have some brown goose biots that I've been itching to use, but I can never settle on what to use them for.

When I was flipping rocks today, I saw a lot of "Stick" caddis cases. You know, the longer, slimmer ones. Am I onto a good idea to use the biots for that, and then do a peeking caddis type fly?

I'm one to just follow recipes, so my "thinking out of the box" may seem a bit funny to some.

It's a (good) idea, right?

right go for it.. sounds like a good idea will have to try it myself.

Love to see what you come up with Gochs

Most of my flies are my own design, I just use the color biots or dubbing to imitate whatever, but if you looked at all the paterns you would find something close to it. Just because it's publshed in a book, dosn't make it work.

Pheasant tail or turkey works good for me. Olive, Gold, or Green rib helps, but may not be needed. We fish a lot of the same waters and I've had awesome luck with mine over the last few weeks. Let me know how the biots work.

Below are two cased caddis patterns. The first is a Breadcrust nymph using stripped grouse tail quill to represent the case. The second pic is Sandy's (Sandfly @ Big Meadows) cased caddis using pheasant tail for the case. Both of these patterns have worked for me. Biots are dyed a single color and may not work as well, but the fish are always the final judge.

Attachments

• Breadcrust.jpg
    Breadcrust.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4
  • Sandy's Cased Caddis.jpg
    Sandy's Cased Caddis.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 5
Back