Gonna be a buzzkill here for a moment….

Nymph-wristed

Nymph-wristed

Let me preface by saying I am not a teetotaler by any means, and to be honest I have one failed college attempt in my late teens and a DUI in my early 30s to offer as my bona fides. Perhaps my age and experience and history make me more attuned to this, and I am sorry if I ruin anyone’s reading pleasure or make them get too self-reflective about their own habits.

Alcoholism runs in the far-from-glamorous, seasonally-depressing, and anxiety-ridden guiding business for sure (and on the Irish side of my family—three of my four sides are Irish, too). I have avoided that issue myself (arguably, says the aforementioned DUI).

All this preamble is to ask, is anyone else getting a bit suspicious and/or tired of the alcohol “product placement” in every bit of fly fishing media??

I am the father of a 16-year-old, and I was probably a 16-year-old boy who ravenously read fishing magazines around the time when beer and alcohol ads were getting banned for good reasons from publications. Now The Drake, Fly Fisherman, and others have to get creative and slip beer ads into the book and website review sections or something. I have seen fishing-themed beer reviews in several places: “Best Beers After a Long Day of Fishing” or some **** like that…

And there is mention of alcohol in over half of the articles, sometimes more than half! In a recent Drake there was a story that was more about sipping beer than catching largemouth, as if the beer was necessary even though it made dude miss fish because he was paying more attention to the beer than the fishing. A cheap laugh, basically, one my 16-year-old self might have found funny. Not five pages later, a story about a fishing-themed watering hole….

Don’t even get me started on the beer companies who put fish on the label and then give some pittance of profits to the environment. That is the equivalent of check-out line donations and receipt roundups: “Target gave 1 million dollars of its customers’ money to a charity because we care…” Just donate from your record profits if you care so much. But I digress….

Lastly, is it a chicken or the egg thing? Did every writer turn to this lazy-*** trope about having a drink before, after, and/or during a fishing experience to make the experience complete? Or is there backdoor influence by the industry that has seeped into our brains and now makes its way onto the page whenever a writer needs a quick way to ingratiate himself to a reader—hmmm…we all drink, so I need to work in a drinking reference here!

Has Dave Kile ever been asked to publish more about beer and scotch by the alcohol lobby? Kidding, Dave. But have you? Anyone in the publishing industry, do tell!

Weed is next, of course, and I am bringing edibles that look like thingamabobbers to the warmwater jam this summer.

Cheers, everyone!

Don’t even get me started on the beer companies who put fish on the label and then give some pittance of profits to the environment. That is the equivalent of check-out line donations and receipt roundups: “Target gave 1 million dollars of its customers’ money to a charity because we care…” Just donate from your record profits if you care so much. But I digress….
A whole other topic... As if I don't love anything or anyone because I don't buy a Subaru.

For the original topic, I guess I'm old and calloused enough to ignore the plying of alcohol in nearly every contextual application in media - not just fishing stories. I consider its presence as nothing more than decoration - as long as the drinker isn't immediately driving a vehicle or wading through dangerous water.
(For the record, I haven't consumed alcohol since before our first child was born and I wasn't an alcoholic before that.)

Me reading waiting for message board posts referencing booze to get mentioned...

Worst offenders are the blue line posters that show a 4" gemmie, a flower bloom, some fancy sandwiches they brought and a micro brew that has a hint of leather followed by rose water notes at the tail end. That's weaker than the 4" fish you caught 🤣😂

Not about alcohol per se, but.......

About 10-15 years ago I started losing interest in mainstream movies and TV shows. It got to the point that I could just see right through the plot, the acting had become so put on, and the product placement became so obvious it felt insulting to my intelligence. I couldn't care less at this point about any of it.

I relied heavily on reading articles and short stories and youtube content to take up the downtime that a good movie used to for me. And in the last year or two I have started noticing the same crap that took the enjoyment from traditional movies have now bled into the articles and videos on the internet. It all just seems put on and insincere to me.

Maybe it is too easy for anyone to have a platform these days, and it's way too easy for them to be bought. Or maybe I am just getting a head start on being a grumpy old man.

Everyone has a price and that's the problem. It's a pretty safe bet that most people in TV and film are without morals or conscience.

Yeah I agree with original post. In full disclosure I know I drank more between the ages of 18 and 25 than I did in years 25 to 65. A glass of wine with a fine dinner, a cordial around the holidays, or a beer after cutting the grass on a hot summer's evening is about the extent of my current drinking.

I have no issues with folks that partake, however, when their lives revolve around it.....well, I have my opinions which are worth the price you paid for them.

Dear Nymph-wristed,

Perhaps I shouldn't be commenting because I rarely, if ever, view fly fishing media today. I do watch the occasional tying video, or destination trip story, but I consumed far more fishing literature back in the days when print was King. I literally can't be bothered with the self-promotional aspect of the YouTube/Go-Pro crowds.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I can selectively ignore a great deal of things meant as distractions if I have an end game in sight. Being that way perhaps I just don't see the product placement as my concentration is elsewhere.

With that thought in mind I wonder if the people who pursue other hobbies make the same observations about alcohol product placement in their media? Many people who golf, bowl, boat, cook outside, etc etc partake of alcohol while pursuing their chosen activities. Any cross hobbyists care to chime in?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Nymph-wristed,

Perhaps I shouldn't be commenting because I rarely, if ever, view fly fishing media today. I do watch the occasional tying video, or destination trip story, but I consumed far more fishing literature back in the days when print was King. I literally can't be bothered with the self-promotional aspect of the YouTube/Go-Pro crowds.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I can selectively ignore a great deal of things meant as distractions if I have an end game in sight. Being that way perhaps I just don't see the product placement as my concentration is elsewhere.

With that thought in mind I wonder if the people who pursue other hobbies make the same observations about alcohol product placement in their media? Many people who golf, bowl, boat, cook outside, etc etc partake of alcohol while pursuing their chosen activities. Any cross hobbyists care to chime in?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

That is a good question, Tim, and I am sure with sports the answer is a resounding yes. My original comments were directed much more at the publications, not the YouTubers who may be taking their cues from some of these publications and their other media content. Now they just feed each other.

I am trained as a writer, so I definitely identify with the comments of @dudemanspecial

Part of the issue I take is just with the cliche of it all. The Drake, for example, is otherwise pretty literary compared to the usual environmental doom and gloom, product reviews from the same three major corporations, and some how-to articles found in other mags.

My wife hates watching movies with me because I know exactly what's going to happen 90% of the time because so many writing tricks in the mainstream are old hat, and much of the audience may even want that level of obvious. I once found evil pleasure in being the spoiler, but now I just don't consume that much film or TV. I watch a lot of first-person single camera fishing videos, instead, what I think the Nordic countries call "slow TV." People watch a train move through the landscape for hours....

Full disclosure, I first posted this on my own blog with slightly different wording here and there, and one of the readers mentioned how gambling ads have taken over professional sports. So there's that too...

My assessment- you’re free to make this sport whatever you want it to be. Whether it’s multi day hikes out to blue lines where you won’t see another person or holding hands with 10 other fisherman fishing a big hatch on a blue ribbon trout river. It’s easy to get addicted to sh*t- whether it’s alcohol, drugs, classic cane fly rods, click and pawl reels, but moderation is key. If media (whether social or otherwise) is making you feel some kind of way; just unplug and get out there! Don’t let anyone else dictate the way you feel about a sport that you love. For me personally- a beer is a nice way to close out a day of fishing or a nice relief from rowing the boat but if I earned a chip or two I’m sure I could enjoy just as well without it too. Everything in moderation, and don’t let the masses dictate how you enjoy your time on the water

I noticed quite a few years ago articles were almost formulaic in fishing magazines. What beer or bourbon etc they were drinking as they smoked their special cigars. I stopped reading certain contributors because it was such rehash of every other story they had written. I really couldn’t care less about what they were drinking. After a few paragraphs of that, I lost interest in reading the rest of the article. Eventually I just stopped subscribing altogether. Too bad they are now considered “influencers”.

That is a good question, Tim, and I am sure with sports the answer is a resounding yes. My original comments were directed much more at the publications, not the YouTubers who may be taking their cues from some of these publications and their other media content. Now they just feed each other.

I am trained as a writer, so I definitely identify with the comments of @dudemanspecial

Part of the issue I take is just with the cliche of it all. The Drake, for example, is otherwise pretty literary compared to the usual environmental doom and gloom, product reviews from the same three major corporations, and some how-to articles found in other mags.

My wife hates watching movies with me because I know exactly what's going to happen 90% of the time because so many writing tricks in the mainstream are old hat, and much of the audience may even want that level of obvious. I once found evil pleasure in being the spoiler, but now I just don't consume that much film or TV. I watch a lot of first-person single camera fishing videos, instead, what I think the Nordic countries call "slow TV." People watch a train move through the landscape for hours....

Full disclosure, I first posted this on my own blog with slightly different wording here and there, and one of the readers mentioned how gambling ads have taken over professional sports. So there's that too...
The gambling stuff during Phillies games has almost ruined watching the games for me despite their tremendous start. Growing up and learning about the Black Sox scandal from my dad instilled a real distaste for sports betting. The Pete Rose scandal also. I always associated it with organized crime. For a time, I did get involved in a partnership that owned racehorses at Penn National. It was fun for a while, but you really got an inside look at the industry and it was not pretty. I have to admit I associate fishing with kicking back and relaxing with a few drinks. There was always an association between drinking and sports that I think encourages not just drinking, but excessive drinking. I went to Penn State! I read mainly older books on fly fishing, so I don't really see the alcohol placement in the sport, but sympathize with thosetrying to raise kids today. Addictive enticements are everywhere, right in the palm of your hand.

I don't buy or read any fly fishing magazines and haven't for decades. I don't watch fly fishing videos, read blogs, listen to podcasts or visit fly fishing websites other than PAFF & Fiberglass Flyrodders so I guess I'm oblivious...

However I've been carrying a carry small flask since the days of only two kinds of Jack Daniels, I used to stop at the Antrim Lodge back in the day and I had a beer after fishing yesterday that had a trout on the can.

I don't know what has influenced me but I guess I better seek help...

Back