Gonna be a buzzkill here for a moment….

Dear Board,

For the ultimate buzzkill I present the latest advertisement from the shilliest fly shop on the planet Earth.

I haven't darkened their doorway since 1989 when they were a stand alone shop in Reading. They'll never see me again and that's the easiest promise I've ever made in my lifetime.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I heard that if you spray the outside of the flask with SwimWell Oxygenated Fish Recovery Spray®️™️© it's safe to store it in the creek and the wine will stay cold for even more than 24 hours.

I try to keep it legit with pepperoni bread and Busch Latte or Banquets when I can. But, largely, guilty as charged.

Next time, 2 slices of turntable pizza from the uni-mart and a Utica club cream ale. Class it up a bit 🤣

Wait. What

Here ya go! Only knew about it because I collected cans as a youngster.

Screenshot 20240528 2042522

Dear Board,

For the ultimate buzzkill I present the latest advertisement from the shilliest fly shop on the planet Earth.

I haven't darkened their doorway since 1989 when they were a stand alone shop in Reading. They'll never see me again and that's the easiest promise I've ever made in my lifetime.

Regards,

Oh goodie!! Another reason to hate TCO!!!

I've always said if they were the only fly shop in America I would quit fly fishing rather than spend a nickle in their stores...

FWIW - I always throw the the finger at their fly shop in West Lawn when I'm on 422. ;)

Here ya go! Only knew about it because I collected cans as a youngster.

View attachment 1641236264
Damn. I'm having trouble determining if this is still around. I see some recent looking cans when I do a search. Regular Utica Club is easy to find up here, but Genny is the only really common Cream Ale in this market. Want to try the Utica Club bad.

I've been known to drink a Natty Boh or twenty. They're still common around Philly area.

Damn. I'm having trouble determining if this is still around. I see some recent looking cans when I do a search. Regular Utica Club is easy to find up here, but Genny is the only really common Cream Ale in this market. Want to try the Utica Club bad.

I've been known to drink a Natty Boh or twenty. They're still common around Philly area.
Liebotshaner cream ale was one my friend brought from home to the dorms. We got busted and I swear it was because it smelled so bad. Natty Boh in 16 ounce returnables was our go-to one year in college.

Dear hooker-of-men,

FX Matt is still around but I think Utica Club, or the Saranac beers are all they brew anymore, except for some real fruh-fruh stuff. When I lived in the Southern Tier and Saranac was first getting started, I used to really like their variety packs. It was a change of pace from Genessee beer for me. I think I can still get the original Trail Mix variety pack in Harrisburg. I'm going to look for it.

Natty-Bo is the hometown beer of Bodymore, Murderland. ;)

Regards,

Dear hooker-of-men,

FX Matt is still around but I think Utica Club, or the Saranac beers are all they brew anymore, except for some real fruh-fruh stuff. When I lived in the Southern Tier and Saranac was first getting started, I used to really like their variety packs. It was a change of pace from Genessee beer for me. I think I can still get the original Trail Mix variety pack in Harrisburg. I'm going to look for it.

Natty-Bo is the hometown beer of Bodymore, Murderland. ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy,

I used to drink copious amounts of Genesee Cream Ale. I drank a lot of stuff and spent way too much time and health on alcohol, but for well over a decade, if I needed a cheap beer fix, Genesee Cream Ale had my back.

I always drank nonstop, but if I was drinking nothing but cream ale, I would easily drink through four or five 30 packs a week. Boy, that stuff went down so good and tasted great whether it was 7:00 in the morning or 7:00 at night.

Regards,

Jifigz

Tim Murphy,

I used to drink copious amounts of Genesee Cream Ale. I drank a lot of stuff and spent way too much time and health on alcohol, but for well over a decade, if I needed a cheap beer fix, Genesee Cream Ale had my back.

I always drank nonstop, but if I was drinking nothing but cream ale, I would easily drink through four or five 30 packs a week. Boy, that stuff went down so good and tasted great whether it was 7:00 in the morning or 7:00 at night.

Regards,

Jifigz
Dear jifigz,

Back in the day my brother Terry Murphy used to come visit me in NY our buddy Junie. They'd come up Friday night, we'd hammer the Gennies and then hit the river bright and early the next morning with a cooler full of Gennies.

Terry came up with the bright idea that no one could have a beer before we all caught our "beer" fish, or the first fish of the day. In the water at 6:00 AM Terry and I would have our beer fish done with by 6:15 AM on a lousy day, but Junie always struggled. Junie got better over time, but it got to the point where Terry declared, "I'm tired of waiting half the morning, this beer fish thing ain't working out." 7:30 AM became Beer Thirty.

We never drank more than a couple of beers each morning and most mornings we were off the river and back home by 12 Noon. Where I cooked on the grill, and we resumed pounding beers. We'd repeat the process on Sunday and be home by Noon again so they could nap a couple of hours before they drove home.

The goal was to cover the cost of the PA Turnpike tolls with the 5 cent can deposits. The tolls were a lot cheaper then, and we never failed to cover the tolls and they saved me hassle of dragging the cans back too. ;)

Regards,

Dear jifigz,

Back in the day my brother Terry Murphy used to come visit me in NY our buddy Junie. They'd come up Friday night, we'd hammer the Gennies and then hit the river bright and early the next morning with a cooler full of Gennies.

Terry came up with the bright idea that no one could have a beer before we all caught our "beer" fish, or the first fish of the day. In the water at 6:00 AM Terry and I would have our beer fish done with by 6:15 AM on a lousy day, but Junie always struggled. Junie got better over time, but it got to the point where Terry declared, "I'm tired of waiting half the morning, this beer fish thing ain't working out." 7:30 AM became Beer Thirty.

We never drank more than a couple of beers each morning and most mornings we were off the river and back home by 12 Noon. Where I cooked on the grill, and we resumed pounding beers. We'd repeat the process on Sunday and be home by Noon again so they could nap a couple of hours before they drove home.

The goal was to cover the cost of the PA Turnpike tolls with the 5 cent can deposits. The tolls were a lot cheaper then, and we never failed to cover the tolls and they saved me hassle of dragging the cans back too. ;)

Regards,

Tim,

These are the kind of memories that make life a wonderful thing..

...I wouldn’t want any of us refined fly fishing types to be confused with the spincaster guys who hang half a sixer of High Life cans from their hip wader loops...

Back in the late 1980's/early 1990's if you bought a case of Straub 12oz NR "greenies," the 4 six-packs in the case box were in a drawstring plastic bag...

Just perfect for filling with ice and hanging from a tree branch while you were fishing... ;)

Back then you didn't need no stinkin' TCO High Camp Flask.

Love the complete 180 that this thread has taken!
it is clear why there is alcohol product placement in fishing related stuff. Personally, I don’t understand the need for a buzz before, during or after fishing or any other activity but I am completely unaware and ignorant of any type of product add placements.

Regarding the OP suggesting such adds being harmful to impressionable children I will say it has little effect. Kids learn more by watching their parents then product adds. If you drink around your kids or glorify drinking around your kids, or come up with every reason or excuse to crack open a cold one during every possible event with your kids then chances are your kids are going to do the same. Same with smoking, cussing, vaping, bait fishing, exercising, going to church, fishing dry flies only , etc….

I believe there was a Tavern up on Pine Creek off Route 6 near Ansonia that was called the Twin Pines (now the "Burnin Barrel." Used to go there for a bucket of Rocks. A wash tub filled with ice and 8 oz. Rolling Rock Ponies. Came with a bottle opener. At the end of the night the waitress would count up what was left still capped and charge you for the rest.

Back