Gettysburg and Cumberland Valley - Mini Jam - 8 June 2013

Here are a few photos from the Gettysburg and Cumberland Valley -Mini Jam.

(1) Dave explaining to the group about one of the Confederate cannons located near the Peace Memorial on the northern end of the Battlefield.
(2) The view looking east from Seminary Ridge. This was the Confederate position at the start of "Picketts's charge".
(3) The view looking west off of Little Round Top. Devil's Den is located near the center of the photo.
(4) Dave is pointing out some of the landscape features visible looking west off of Little Round Top.
(5) The view looking south down Cemetery Ridge. Many Union regiment monuments are located where the Union forces were positioned.
(6) A water snake takes advantage of a warm piece of rebar on a stream improvement structure on the Yellow Breeches Creek near Allenberry.
(7) FI tutoring Matt (my son) on the value of a good upstream mend on your fly line. If you didn't have a good natural drift you weren't catching many fish on Saturday! That's gfoledc in the background.

Thanks again Dave, for a great outing!

Attachments

• Gettysburg-CV Mini Jam (1).jpg
    Gettysburg-CV Mini Jam (1).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Gettysburg-CV Mini Jam (2).jpg
    Gettysburg-CV Mini Jam (2).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Gettysburg-CV Mini Jam (3).jpg
    Gettysburg-CV Mini Jam (3).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Gettysburg-CV Mini Jam (4).jpg
    Gettysburg-CV Mini Jam (4).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Gettysburg-CV Mini Jam (5).jpg
    Gettysburg-CV Mini Jam (5).jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Gettysburg-CV Mini Jam (6).jpg
    Gettysburg-CV Mini Jam (6).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Gettysburg-CV Mini Jam (7).jpg
    Gettysburg-CV Mini Jam (7).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 4
Dave looks like a a nice day. Need to get some larger versions of the photographs from you.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the tour and putting this together. We had a great time. My son caught six different species. His best was a 16" holdover brown.

gfoledc,

Thanks for allowing us to ride with you during the tour.

> surprisingly, not crowded

I would hate to see what crowded looks like.

shortrod wrote:
> surprisingly, not crowded
I would hate to see what crowded looks like.

:lol:
Yeah, "crowded" is a relative term. It did seem to me that there weren't many fishermen around......based on what I'd expect to see on Breeches in June. Down at Allenberry, at mid day, the ladies FFing seminar was underway so there were a lot of fishermen down by the pavilion for awhile (glad to see a good turnout for the ladies event). It did seem like more anglers were coming in when I left at about 7:30 PM.

Unfortuantly, I was oncall and it was too late to arrange someone else.

Fishing is fishing, but I imagine the personal battlefield tour was far more interesting. Can you convince my kids to like history? :)

I wanted to thank Dave for putting this event together and for sharing his vast knowledge on not only the Cival War but military history in general. My daughter and I had a great time. Here are a few pics from the event.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 5
Bummer I missed out on this. I love the Civil War and I love fly fishing AND I love the CV!

But I was in God's Country, which I confess, I love even more ;-) Do this again next year!

Dave, just got back from our week long fishing vacation which started by this awesome tour of the Gettysburg Battlefields. Thank you so much. The time you took with us was incredibly informative and enjoyed!

Fox and Fshbob

Just a heads up for anyone interested in Gettysburg. PCN is covering the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg now thru Thursday.

Back