Gettysburg and Cumberland Valley - Mini Jam - 8 June 2013

Welcome aboard. Remember one thing, we were ALL newbies at one time. Lot of talent and patience on this board. Asking is the best step to moving forward. Although I wouldn't wait until June. Get out with some of these guys and gals. It's ashame you didn't get on the board last week as we had our newbie event in Allentown this past Saturday, a bit of a drive but it would have been well worth it. We will be having a "brush-up" event there in April or May and you should consider joining us.

Good luck!

Jkrout wrote:
Would I be out of place coming to this, I have the gear and a little experience but haven't had the nerve to put myself in a creek amongst experienced anglers.
Thanks for any advice
J

J,
Welcome to our online community.
We talk fly fishing and related stuff here every day and frequently have get togethers - we call 'em jamborees or "mini jams" etc) - to fish or tie flies. There are many beginners in our community and they attend and enjoy the jams too. You're certainly welcome to link up with us in Boiling Springs and tag along and fish as little or as much as you want. Many of the fellows are hard core anglers, but we don't mind newbies. Just watching experienced fishermen do their thing is a great way to learn. Evening will probably see the most fishing focus as this is when the hatches, if any, will probably occur.
In the meantime, continue to watch this thread for further info and if you have questions about the event, ask them here. We have a Beginner's Forum with a lot of enthusiastic newbies and that's where to ask any basic questions you may have about the sport. Take some time to check out that forum.

I would be willing to help out with the new, and out of towners if I am not guiding that day. I am open and will try to keep the day as such.
I work as a guide and instructor in Boilingsprings and would be willing to do whatever you want. Perhaps a one hour beginers sesion then some fishing etc.
Dave let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for the responses! I just saw the post about TU holding a ladies FF event at the allenberry on the breeches. I'll check into that and see what it offers although I do have a little experience so I'm not sure if that would be time wasted.
I'll check out the newbie board too, thanks!

Jkrout wrote:
I just saw the post about TU holding a ladies FF event at the allenberry on the breeches. I'll check into that and see what it offers !

The ladies FF event is a very good choice too. It is a program offered by Cumberland Valley TU and will offer formal instruction. It includes a fee basically to cover lunch and is headed up by a friend of mine named Bob. I will PM you his contact information (Check the "Inbox" on the right when you are logged in).

addictedangler wrote:
I would be willing to help out with the new, and out of towners if I am not guiding that day. I am open and will try to keep the day as such.

Please check your PM Tony.

Dave nice little excursion you got planned here . Unless something comes up I will be there but I don't think I will take the tour . The fishing in that area is just to hard to pass on . Depending on the fishing conditions I might stop at the susky in the morning than make my way to the run.

Bump. This event is just around the corner. Several folks inquired to me at the jam over the weekend whether this was still on. It is indeed and, I'd like to add that, in addition to touring Gettysburg in the am, when we link up at Boiling Springs we will make a visit to the new PA FFing Museum before fishing. Keep in mind, this event is informal and you can participate in the battlefield tour, the FFing museum tour, the fishing in the afternoon.....or any combination.

If you are coming up to Boiling Springs in the am while we're in Gettysburg, feel free to comment here and folks can link up and fish in the am or early afternoon.

Dave W

I've wanted to check out some of these streams for a while but never knew where to start. Would anyone want to fish in the morning, meet the group for the ff museum and lunch, and then maybe fish a different stream for the evening? I've done the Gettysburg thing recent enough that I'm gonna pass on the tour.

I am planning on going.

I'd like to meet you guys at the Breeches, if I can get a reprieve. I'll be at Allenberry the 10th through the 12th for the Reel Recovery Retreat.

Matt

Dave,

My son and I are in if there is still room.

Dave,

Matt and I are planning on being there tomorrow morning. The fishing is shaping up to being a bust, but the Battlefield tour, lunch and the Flyfishing museum all sound cool. Looking forward to it.

Fshnbob and me will be there for the tour. Looking forward to it.

I will see you guys tomorrow. My daughter is pretty excited about this.

See you guys tomorrow morning at 8:15 at the Visitor Center. We didn't get much rain, so local water levels probably should be fine.

A good time today!
We got around the park before the crowds and weather was perfect. After lunch, we drove up to Boiling Springs and checked out the new FF museum. Nobody joined us at The Run - I got a few there but mainly we fished main stem Breeches. Conditions were good and, surprisingly, not crowded. There was a steady pick of sippers under the trees and we stuck a fair share. I did a long line release on a brown over 20 inches. The fish were selective (as usual) but small terrestrials did the trick. When I left, a couple guys were still fishing. Pics below show DC 410 and Gfoldec.

Attachments

• 6-8.jpg
    6-8.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 6-8a.jpg
    6-8a.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 3
Great day Dave's tour was very informative. We were given a real insight into what happened in the battle at Gettysburg. Beautiful day great company. Fishing was a little slow but all in all a great day. Thanks Dave.

Thanks for organizing the whole day, Dave. I enjoyed every aspect of it. The tour was well done and very informative. The PA fly fishing museum has some great memorabilia about many of PA's greatest fly fishing personalities and was well worth the visit. Finished up the day fishing over some very picky fish at the Breeches but we did manage to fool a few of them and that was cool! My son and I enjoyed the time on the battlefield and the stream. Great day!

Back