Gear review from "the trip"

jayL

jayL

I feel I owe a review or two on some of the gear I took on my trip.

I'll start with a short rundown of what I took two years ago...

For my first trip out west, I took an 8.5' 5wt orvis TLS power matrix mid flex and a loomis gl3 9'5wt. The orvis was paired with an okuma sierra, and the gl3 with a cabela's prestige plus.

I was vastly, vastly underprepared.

For starters, the orvis was a wonderful rod for most PA applications. To date, I've caught my largest trout with this rod, and I was using the cheap okuma with it. Said trout came from spring creek, and I was able to easily handle him.

The loomis was my first and only self-built rod, and performed *very* well out there. The name of the game on the bighorn is water hauling two flies, shot, and a large indicator with at least 30 feet of line out, and it did that well. The prestige plus performed subpar, but got the job done. That reel was later fried by my second largest PA trout (fly-caught, anyway) at the jamboree a few years back, when a fantastic specimen of a brown trout ate my GD nymph on penns.

I determined that I would not let myself return to Montana without proper gear. I accomplished that, and I didn't necessarily have top of the line stuff. Well, I had SOME top of the line stuff, but I also had some stuff that cost me pennies, at least relatively speaking.

I took three setups.

1. 9'5wt Orvis hydros tip flex with hydros reel. Just to feel special, I have a sharkskin on this rig, and openly and lamely refer to it as my maserati. I think it goes without saying that this rig was fine. I'd like two more of them, thanks. :)

2. 9'5wt Scott A2 paired with a TFO MKII reel. Gary and I colluded at one point, and this reel fell into my hands. This reel is beautiful. Is it functional? Adequately so. It's got a rudimentary drag, but it works. I landed a few very large trout on this reel, and never felt as though I needed more. The rod was won in a raffle at the catskill jam last year. Yes, you should go to the jams, and you should contribute money to the raffle. Look how it worked for me! I ended up in Montana!!! :lol:

Anyway, the rod has a touch less to it than the loomis, but executed the afore-mentioned water hauls well. I made this setup my nymph rig, and it performed well. I'd take it out there again. In fact, I WILL take it out there again.

3. 9'6wt loomis gl3 paired with an allen alpha 5/6.

First of all, thank you Mariner. This rod came with Alaska and Colorado baggage tags on it, like you mentioned, so was obviously used on trips before. I made it my streamer rod, and probably put it through more stress than the other two combined. It performed absolutely flawlessly. If you aren't aware, Mariner and I struck a deal at the jamboree for this rod. This is yet another friendly reminder to participate in this community, because good things happen, even to marginally less than good people such as myself. I scored an excellent deal with this rod, and used the hell out of it.

The belle of the ball on this trip was the allen alpha that was paired with the streamer rod.

I've aired my criticisms of this reel. It flat out didn't work when I got it, due to a manufacturing problem. Justin explained the nature of the problem, offered to fix it, and the freaking thing flat out balls. The drag adjustment is not as smooth as the expensive hydros, and it doesn't feel quite as sturdy, but one could buy like four of them for the price of one hydros, and Allen stands behind the product.

I landed multiple 20+" fish on this rig. I locked the reel down and forgot about touching the spool while damn near busting the rod on large fish. I let off a bit on the drag and let the fish run. It worked just fine in either situation. I am absolutely happy with its performance. It exceeded expectations.

I still am anxious to see how one of these reels stacks up against a king salmon, because there are plenty of great reels out there that just can't handle it. Given my experience with taking this reel to montana, I think it would do just fine, and I am considering buying one for my salmon stick, just because my old loomis venture is probably nearing the end of its run.

Very nice, informative report. Sounds like you prefer tip-flex vs. mid-flex Orvis rods at least for Western applications. Which rod did you use for the smaller stream fishing?

Jay,

I bought an allen reel for steelhead last year and the reel itsef worked flawlessly. The drag was very smooth as well. The only problem i had was the two screws that holds the reel to the connection piece to the reel seat kept coming loose. I'm sure some locktite would fix the problem. In my opinoin they are very nice reels especially for the price.

Kilwell wrote:
Very nice, informative report. Sounds like you prefer tip-flex vs. mid-flex Orvis rods at least for Western applications. Which rod did you use for the smaller stream fishing?

The hydros. It was windy most days, otherwise I may have used the scott on some of them.

I'm finding that I like tip flex rods for all around use. The soft tip allows me to fish short and long distances, and the ability to toss accurate, tight loops into cover was critical with so many of the fish still nosed up in flooded willows.

They must have stepped up the reel when they rebadged it as Hydros. My Allen 9/10 is much better made than my 2nd series BLA III.

Great review of real world application.

My only question is the Hydros really the Maserati, or would that be saved for the Helios? If that's the case, would we make Hydros the Alfa Romeo? Although, Maserati is applicable, with their logo being the trident, symbol of Neptune.

This is what I pondered most of all as I read the review.

I thought the TFO mk2 looked great, but I have an unfounded distaste in offset drags. It is a pretty reel, though. I freely admit I am very superficial.

Can anyone confirm who makes Cabela's lines? Is it SA or Cortland?

Cabela's lines have been cortland, in my experience. They may have some SA made lines in their lineup too. I am pretty sure I own a prestige plus line. Maybe it's just a prestige. It's the one that has different colored running line. Maybe they both have that.

Anyway, it's a 444.

I make every attempt to keep perspective. I can't justifiably afford a helios, and if I am living right, I will never be able to. I cast them both, and didn't feel a difference. Blank scrim and hardware seem to be the differences, and I'm far too unrefined to detect them. It's my maserati because I'll probably never need anything better (for the next few years, of course. :-D)

Works for me, if I were more motivated, I'd go compare tapers and what makes the Prestige Plus different. Perhaps I will.

I think Helios/Hydros is exactly what you say, undetectable by most people. I've never touched either. I'd be interested to, though.

post script: so, maser is the hydros, and helios is the ferrari?

The only experience I have with any of the equipment you mentioned is the G. Loomis GL3 9' 6 weight. I bought it for bigger water and streamers. I really like mine and it works great!

Sage is......The One. Everything else casts like #2. :lol:

Still think you should buy Chimmy's Helios. It has mojo. Very good deal, IMO.

Heritage-Angler wrote:

You can't possibly mean me. What would I do with it?

Tangent: Did you know you could resize the editing window? Seriously, right down there in the lower right corner. Who the hell knows why, but lookie lou!

I thought that was a chrome-ism, but nope... works on FF too.

jayL wrote:

2. 9'5wt Scott A2 paired with a TFO MKII reel. Gary and I colluded at one point, and this reel fell into my hands. This reel is beautiful. Is it functional? Adequately so. It's got a rudimentary drag, but it works. I landed a few very large trout on this reel, and never felt as though I needed more. The rod was won in a raffle at the catskill jam last year. Yes, you should go to the jams, and you should contribute money to the raffle. Look how it worked for me! I ended up in Montana!!! :lol:

Anyway, the rod has a touch less to it than the loomis, but executed the afore-mentioned water hauls well. I made this setup my nymph rig, and it performed well. I'd take it out there again. In fact, I WILL take it out there again.

HMPF!!! Glad you enjoyed using MY rod! (not that i'm bitter or anything....)

:)

gfen wrote:
Heritage-Angler wrote:

You can't possibly mean me. What would I do with it?

Attachments

• wookie.jpg
    wookie.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 5

Yes, but what would I do with it? Its the fundamental question.

I've got a fast, tippy 5wt. You sold it to me. I think I'm supposed to straight line nymph with it, but that's for suckers. I can cast that mother like she's goin' out of style.

Jeff,

Does the BLA have a sealed drag? They say it's "improved". I don't know how they improved it.

I do know that the drag on the hydros is definitely sealed, and is bullet proof. I accidentally dunked it in mud a few times, and it never missed a beat.

jayL wrote:
Jeff,

Does the BLA have a sealed drag? They say it's "improved". I don't know how they improved it.

I do know that the drag on the hydros is definitely sealed, and is bullet proof. I accidentally dunked it in mud a few times, and it never missed a beat.

First and second gen BLA did not have sealed drag. New ones have sealed drags. Mines broke. Need new one.

jdaddy wrote:
First and second gen BLA did not have sealed drag. New ones have sealed drags. Mines broke. Need new one.

Sounds like its time to return it to the big O. Test out that 100% Satisfaction Guarantee that they advertise now.

Will they give you a new reel?
Will they repair it for free?
Will they say you abused it, and charge you to fix it?
Will they give you your money back?
Who will be 100% Satisfied - you, or them?

Let us know how that works out for you. ;-)

Heritage-Angler wrote:
jdaddy wrote:

Sounds like its time to return it to the big O. Test out that 100% Satisfaction Guarantee that they advertise now.

Will they give you a new reel?
Will they repair it for free?
Will they say you abused it, and charge you to fix it?
Will they give you your money back?
Who will be 100% Satisfied - you, or them?

Let us know how that works out for you. ;-)

I wrote a review on their website once and they contacted me and asked me to return the item for a full refund. Pretty fair. This item is definitely not abused. I have opened it up and cleaned it well. There is just a grinding metal sound inside. Becker used it the other day and can confirm its pretty rough.

Back