Fly Patches

K

Kilwell

Has anyone ever found a fly patch that works? I have tried fleece, foam and magnetic patches all with the same results - lost flies!

After changing flies, I have been putting the fly taken off and still wet in a film canister or small fly box and that seems to work OK but a patch would be much handier.

Don't remember the brand, but for less than $10 I bought a tiny little plastic box with foam inserts that clips on. I put magnets on the other side.

I found mine at Cabelas.

Looks like this:
snookstalking.jpg

Kilwell wrote:
Has anyone ever found a fly patch that works? I have tried fleece, foam and magnetic patches all with the same results - lost flies!

After changing flies, I have been putting the fly taken off and still wet in a film canister or small fly box and that seems to work OK but a patch would be much handier.

Simple and cheap..use the loop side of heavyweight Velcro for a fly patch. The flies go on and don't come off, sometimes they are actually TOO hard to remove.

The other tip that I can add is to mount it (foam,fleece, etc) on the inside of your pack (assuming you are using a pack. That way they don't get bumped as much and if they do then they still can be found...

afishinado wrote:
Kilwell wrote:

Simple and cheap..use the loop side of heavyweight Velcro for a fly patch. The flies go on and don't come off, sometimes they are actually TOO hard to remove.

That's a great idea.

Wear a ball cap. They all have 4-5 rows of stitching on the brim, and each stitch takes a fly.

During a particular hatch, I'll add all of my used flies to the hat, and won't remove them until the hatch is over. I'm usually completely done with fly boxes within a trip or two.

I look ridiculous during green drakes.

Yep, I have done the same thing already. You just don't know how this looks till your sit'n in the tavern and you look in the mirror behind the bar and it looks like you have the start of a "Ghillie" head net on!

JayL,

Sounds like you had a life changing trip out west. Good for you. Head west young man, head west!

Agree with Jay too - plus it gives your hat a good "seasoned" look!..:)

Simms makes a fly patch! It's pretty much the best thing ever.

Problem solved - thank you all for the input. I will experiment with your suggestions and see which one works best for me.

I second the Simms patch. I will admit however, that I do lose some flies occassionally. Especially now that the foam is all chewed up.

Best fly patch I've found that is currently available: C&F patch.

Wish Lamson still made their Fly Trap. I've got two of them, and they've paid for themselves many times over.

Attachments

• Fly Trap.jpg
    Fly Trap.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 3
How does the C & F patch attach? I can't see from the picture how you attach the patch. There must be a pin on the backside?

mcwillja wrote:
How does the C & F patch attach? I can't see from the picture how you attach the patch. There must be a pin on the backside?

Yes. They're OK, but not built as well as the Fly Trap. Those things were made to last.

Wow I really like that fly trap. If you ever want to sell one please let me know. That is exactly what I've been looking for.

I'll put you in my will. :lol:

They made two sizes of them, and I have one of each. The large one is almost twice as wide as the small one I pictured (same height). They're made out of machined aluminum and plastic on the side plates.

The one drawback to them is how they mount. There's an elongated "c" shaped wire that you put inside your vest material, and that in turn snaps into a channel on the back of the trap. Very secure, but it won't work on straps - the material has to be thin. Not something you'd want to attach/detach a lot, either.

As I recall, they were $20 - $25 new. I'd gladly pay double for one of the small ones. If you're lucky, you might find one at a fly shop somewhere....

Honestly, guys, other than looking a whole lot nicer, I fail to be impressed by that.

For $25, or more, you can have that, or for $9.99 at just about any shop, including Cabela's (that link'll probably fail) you can have the same thing.

I've beat on mine for threeish years now, its every bit as durable as what you've got.

Figured since the first time I suggested this in response #1 with a less than helpful picture it got missed. I figured I should make it more obvious this time around.

Thanks Heritage...the good stuff in flyfishing always gets discontinued or simply hard to find it seems. Everything I like seems to go the way of the buffalo

I have about 1/10th of a tube of overton's wonderwax left and I love the stuff but I am afraid to use the last of it.

I bought a Hydros rod when they first came out and I love it and they are now discontinued. I just got a T3 tip flex which I think is one of the best rods of it's generation and because they are getting harder and harder to find.

Gfen,

I will admit those boxes from cabelas look like they would do the job for half the price. good find.

gfen wrote:
I've beat on mine for threeish years now, its every bit as durable as what you've got.

When you get to 15 years with it, let me know.

I bought one of those Streamworks things when they first came out. It's serviceable, but doesn't hold a candle to the Fly Trap. They say you can open and close it with one hand, and you can - just not as easily. It's also not nearly as secure. I watched mine float away when the box came off the mounting clip. It didn't break - it just came off.

Maybe a dremel tool and a decent mount could fix...nevermind. :lol:

Back