Fly Fishing, The Internet, and SpotBurning

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
No doubt but I still have to laugh.
Like the guy that assumes a mis handled trout is dead without knowing or a stream that is mentioned is now getting a pounding....
its a great assumption to assume that your best judgement is better than another without knowing the reasons.

Ex:
Guy on here shows a 25" brown trout he kept.

People get hot and complain.

Reason guy kept fish is because it was bleeding badly.

See people dont take the time to find out why or even set a real set of guidelines on this subject.

Instead we say your best judgement. Then blast those when the exercise it.
That is all.

LOL,

I don't blast anyone for keeping the occasional trout regardless of the reason. I may think it, but I don't say it.;-)

maxima12 wrote:
Read all this and confused! Emotions are everywhere! Let's take the "Emotions". out of the picture and get to the brass tacks.

All talk in promoting fishing but all is kept secret. How do you promote with out opening your mouth! Many mumble and I can not hear! What did you say or what did you not say.

Fishing, starting from youth, I am sure glad, no mumbles, just well heard advice! But those advice givers are gone now! I guess they are lucky! Would have been sad the advice givers were given no advice. It would all be a secret that you take to the grave!

My advice, open up, teach and you shall learn. Happiness is always better shown, then kept a secret!

Spot burn, Seems to me, I can always tell a fisherman by the "Sun Burn".

Maxima12

Maxi, I often give advice, but sometimes it is measured. I get more pleasure out of seeing a beginner catch their first trout, than catching several of my own.

Here is a story you will love.

When I was in my late teens, my little brother and I were fishing the Clarion River at the mouth of Toms Run (Cook Forest). Little brother is 5 years younger than me, and I always took him along.

If anyone thinks that's a spot burn, get over it. It's a state park for Pete sake.

Anyway, I noticed a young lad watching us from up by the road. Well, I had an extra rod in the truck so I asked him if he would like to give it a try? Big smile on his face.

So I rigged up a spare spinning rod with bait and cast it out for him to a spot where I had caught a few. A little bit later he reeled it in and cast it out himself. It plopped in the water about a foot from shore next to a clump of weeds. I smiled but didn't say anything.

Wouldn't you know that little shart caught the largest trout of the day from that spot. It was rainbow about 18 inches long (didn't have time to measure). I netted it for him and then he put the two handed death grip on it and ran up the bank yelling MOM! DAD, LOOK WHAT I CAUGHT!

You know the parents never even thanked me? That's OK though. An angler was born, and I got a kick out of it. Also, my little brother was pissed which gave me even more pleasure. ;-)

There is nothing like letting a youngster bring in a fish for their first time.

I rigged one kids spinning outfit with a nymph below his bobber and sure enough he caught a real nice stockie. He offered it to me twice for my assistance. I declined of course.

FarmerDave wrote:
troutbert wrote:
The places that are crowded with flyfishers are almost always special regulations areas.

It's rare to see crowds of flyfishers on general regs streams.

That's true now. And it was true 50 years ago.

.........I grew up in NWPA, where class A waters were few and far between. When the list first came out, there was a total of two streams in Venango county on the list, and none in Forest County. Also none in Clarion County where I actually grew up.

As word got out about the class A list, those two streams became defacto "special" but without the special regs. The same can be said about wilderness trout stream listings, to some extent.

And by the way, I am pretty sure both of those Class A are on private land although one now has deeded public easement. It didn't back then. How many of you know exactly what stream I am speaking of? Where did you learn of it? How many of you have fished it as a result? I learned about it because I lived near there.....

I know where they are. I never saw a Class A list until about 2 yrs ago but I started hunting that area in 1988 and those streams looked nice. So in the early 90s I went there on the first day of trout season, caught several, didn’t rip it up but one was pushing 20 inches so that got my attention. I suspect today there are more than 1 person fishing the stream on the opening day of trout.

Yapping on the internet and looking at phones all day has probably helped trout streams a great deal because otherwise some of these same people would be motivated to go out and do some fishing. I'm all for anything that keeps people out of the woods and off the streams!

JackM wrote:
And finally, as much he wannabe, he ain't no Hank.

I'd just like to know why Jack thinks Huge Flyfisherman is a Hank Patterson "wannabe"?

What gives you that impression?

Why do you feel the need to make the comparison?

I'd submit, if that's what you think, Jack, you don't get either Hank or Ben.

There are obvious efforts to imitate the delivery and the film editing style. But, that's just my "impression." Obviously you get them both and have a right, therefore, to assess my level of perception. Now if "Huge" came before "Hank," then I suppose Hank is the Huge wannabe.

I mean, the stuff he's doing is entertaining and, at a basic entry level, insightful. It sounds similar to Hank in some ways, but it's not nearly as funny or, really, as well done as Hank. That's fine; it's tongue-in-cheek op-ed whereas Hank is satire and straight humor.

The urge to defend dude as totally unique (and as such way different than Hank) is hard to swallow, though, when the first 2 minutes of this video quickly makes some culture vulture moves with "i love fly fishing so much i want it to die." This is just a straight rip from skateboarding culture (the og quote originating decades ago from pro skateboarder Jason Jesse, being the same exact phrase referencing skateboarding rather than fishing). It's not a great look for arguing this is some singular insight into fishing.

Which... whatever... no one has a copyright on these ideas/phrases. But floating the idea that this is not a particularly original form of cultural commentary/critique isn't a stretch.

I found it hard to focus on what he was saying wondering if that was a PBR in his hand or something else.... LOL

More then anything the internet has made me a much better at fly tying. I don't pay much attention to locations.

Sometimes I learn more from my "failure days" then good days. Slow days forces me to try new techniques, flies, etc. But then again, a bad day of fly fishing is better then any day at work...

Don

Interesting take I found on FB about anglers using social media to get into fishing >

A New Breed Of Fisherman

Social media has spawned "a new breed of fishermen". This quote comes from a campground owner in Beulah Michigan. But what is this new breed? Well first of all these fishermen would have no idea where to even start fishing for salmon or steelhead if not for the posts on social media of people saying where they are fishing.

Through all of the advice coming in comments these fishermen know that they must have a "pin" rod or they will be considered snaggers. They make a post asking what lures, and how to rig. They ask if the fish are in yet, or if they will be in 2 weeks. They plan their entire trip based on suggestions from social media. In reality these "fisherman" have no idea what they are doing. They ask what kind of waders to buy, they ask what color bead to float. They are trying to cut the learning curve and expect to catch a fish on their first trip.

I once spent a day fishing at tippy dam beside an older guy named Ivan. This day he caught his limit of steelhead in just over an hour. Now Ivan has paid his dues. He had no problem telling everyone that asked exactly what he caught them on and right where he was fishing. As we drug our fish out he said to me, "I don't mind telling guys what I catch fish on, I could teach them all of my tricks, but I can't teach them experience. They won't catch any until they can read the current like I can."

So this new breed are guys that think this is easy, they already know everything from social media before they even get to the river. With this attitude comes disrespect. These guys have no respect for other fishermen, or the river, let alone the fish. They leave their garbage on the banks. They get drunk and start fights. They do not clean up after themselves at the fish cleaning station. They are the entitled generation. They are ruining our fisheries. They park like jerks, and drive like idiots. This is the "new breed of fishermen", and this should worry you.

I always wonder what motivates people to share fishing spots and all the info. What exactly do they hope to achieve? The internet seems to bring out social behaviors that you would not ordinarily see in individuals. I meet people on streams all the time and it is often a pleasant exchange but they don't offer complete "reports" unless I am friends with them.

I'm all for anything that keeps people out of the woods and off the streams!

Gotta admit I feel that way sometimes. But then I slap myself. Because, well, I have kids. What's the best way to get them to want to do it? If their friends are doing it, and their friends do it because their dads do too. And, there's political power in numbers. Whether hunting, fishing, etc., the sportsmen are the conservationists and the reason rules and bag limits exist which keep everything in check. And, why is it that there are fly shops in the best fly fishing areas? Why do awesome new products for hunting and fishing keep getting made? Stories and books being written, as well as informational websites that I learn from. Message board friends getting together for a weekend each year to share a passion and have a few beers.

So, while I'm not flaming and I get where that's coming from, I strongly disagree. I want to see outdoor sports succeed. In a perfect world they'd be wildly successful but "my spots" would be left alone, lol. But that ain't how things work.

I always wonder what motivates people to share fishing spots and all the info. What exactly do they hope to achieve?

To see the sport succeed. I've been helped tremendously by others and "pay it forward" is something that gives you satisfaction. A successful fisherman is more likely to stay with it. As is one that thinks there's more out there than what they've seen.

I tend not to share specific streams if they are lesser known, but the only reason for that is that many were shown to me by someone, and out of respect for that someone, I don't go publicly sharing that information. Because, well, I want more information. lol.

But if I found it myself, I'm pretty open with the info. And otherwise I will make sure people know just how much is out there and point them toward the best resources to find their own spots, even if sometimes they end up finding mine. Because, yes, I want other people to get into the sport, explore the state, and be successful. Even if I curse below my breath at them when they're in my spot!

Pcray, "well spoken words". Yes, that will make 2 of us now! Maybe it is time to draw the line? One side of the line can say, "Givers". And the other side can say, "Takers".

The "Givers", in my mind are not only successful at fishing but successful in life also!

The "Takers", well, I am afraid, success will always be a arm length away!

Maxima12

I've talked about this a lot and too many generalizations can be made about the topic.

The guys in the video is clearly an expert on the subject. He has a beer in hand!

Having been just out in Utah, they claim that the sport is growing out in the west and many new people are attracted to fly fishing. The east is a different story. In Pennsylvania, for example, PFBC Trout Stamp permits have dropped from 737,000 in 1991 to 440,000 in 2018. Fly fishing ain't exactly growing around here despite our opinions. Fact!

As for the Internet, I believe it has helped many become aware and more informed in general about the sport. It's like saying the train ruined the west and people should have stuck to Conestoga wagons if they wanted to travel to new places.

As for spot burning ruining fly fishing that's, bunk too. Kettle Creek is one of the busiest streams during the spring in PA. Its rarely discussed on this site yet in April people line up along the stream tailgating like its a football game. If someone wants to travel to another part of the state and explore some new water what are they supposed to do just look at a turnpike map and randomly stop at some water to see they can catch some trout?

There are and have been plenty of resources on where to fly fish even before the Internet. Just because someone can look online for locations doesn't make worse for the sport, just more convenient. If we talked about one stream, it would be the only place known about. But hundreds of streams are identified by the PFBC which then spreads more anglers out to many new opportunities.

Finally, I think people here on Paflyfsih act very responsibly about sharing information. I thank you all for engaging in the topic and sharing with others what you know about the sport.

Dkile, nicely said! Thank you. Trout stamps, Again. Stocking is all that stands between fish and no fish! Very shameful, sportsman have allowed it to be lowered over the years.

Even with doing everything right on catching a fish, I sure hope you all don't believe, they all will survive.

dkile wrote:
I've talked about this a lot and too many generalizations can be made about the topic.

The guys in the video is clearly an expert on the subject. He has a beer in hand!

Having been just out in Utah, they claim that the sport is growing out in the west and many new people are attracted to fly fishing. The east is a different story. In Pennsylvania, for example, PFBC Trout Stamp permits have dropped from 737,000 in 1991 to 440,000 in 2018. Fly fishing ain't exactly growing around here despite our opinions. Fact!

As for the Internet, I believe it has helped many become aware and more informed in general about the sport. It's like saying the train ruined the west and people should have stuck to Conestoga wagons if they wanted to travel to new places.

As for spot burning ruining fly fishing that's, bunk too. Kettle Creek is one of the busiest streams during the spring in PA. Its rarely discussed on this site yet in April people line up along the stream tailgating like its a football game. If someone wants to travel to another part of the state and explore some new water what are they supposed to do just look at a turnpike map and randomly stop at some water to see they can catch some trout?

There are and have been plenty of resources on where to fly fish even before the Internet. Just because someone can look online for locations doesn't make worse for the sport, just more convenient. If we talked about one stream, it would be the only place known about. But hundreds of streams are identified by the PFBC which then spreads more anglers out to many new opportunities.

Finally, I think people here on Paflyfsih act very responsibly about sharing information. I thank you all for engaging in the topic and sharing with others what you know about the sport.
I agree!

I always wonder what motivates people to share fishing spots and all the info. What exactly do they hope to achieve? The internet seems to bring out social behaviors that you would not ordinarily see in individuals. I meet people on streams all the time and it is often a pleasant exchange but they don't offer complete "reports" unless I am friends with them.
+1

larkmark wrote:
I’d say my experience is 60/40 in favor of meeting people on the stream that are very willing to share information, show me their flies and often give me their “fly of the day”. Even though I don’t need it and never use it, but out of respect I do save it for a Pattern later. Most people who offer flies are really good tiers.

Maybe it has something to do with the way I interact with people that opens them up. That is something everyone should reflect on. I freely share information and am very courteous on the stream. I won’t get in a hole if someone else is in it. Often times they invite me to hop in after we’ve chatted for a bit, but I still won’t. I generally adhere to a minimum 50 yard buffer. Hard to tell if those things truly make a difference but I think they might.

Prospector, yes, a big difference! You posses what hopefully more will find. The true meaning of a "Sportsman". When someone offers you a fly, gladly and meaningful accept it with grace. The absolute let down to the giver is, "no, I tie my own". And in a way isn't it funny, you did not offer first. Remember, a handshake is only a step away! Take the step!

Exhibit A:
"Hello!"
"Harrumph!"
[ The intruder walks away, scratching her head].

Exhibit B:
"Hello"
"How are you?"
"Enjoying the day, how about you?"
"Things are a little slow."
"Yes they are, [sits down on the bank], I only had any luck with olives."
"Really, I've been fishing caddis all day and only landed a few."
"Do you have any olives? Size 18 or so?"
"Yes, yes I do."
"Maybe give them a try."
"Perhaps I will."
[intruder walks away].