Florida Fly Rod and Flies?

T

TrickyFlies

Hello anyone and everyone,

I'm heading to Florida on the gulf at the end of the year for a vacation and wanted to get some fishing in while down there. I currently have a 5wt for the Central PA streams, but thought it may be worth making an investment on an 8wt (or whatever you may suggest) for fishing oceans, lakes, etc.

Does anyone have suggestions for what might be a good purchase in the $300 to $400 range? Rod, reel, line, etc.

Also, if anyone has experience with FL fishing, what would be a wise pick up as far as flies go for landing some fish off the shore or in a kayak or something in the bay/gulf?

Obliged.

I typically fish a 9 wt Sage, but bought it so many years ago that it has been replaced by several generations of rods. I use it on flats and water less than 10 feet deep fishing for snook, jacks and other similarly sized fish. I fish clousers and decievers and their derivatives. Nothing too fancy, but they have worked for me on the gulf coast.

Where-gulf is a lot of area-lol
There are plenty of tackle shops down here-forget the 5wt.
give us a target area we will try to point out shop
Destin,Orlando,Islamorada have bass pro shops so if you have one near you-they could probably get you connected with some one down here.

I'm heading to Bradenton Beach and staying on or near Palma Sola Bay....any thoughts?

Look through the posts=find Gulfgreyhound-PM him and tell him you would appreciate any suggestions as a good place for flyfishing advice-his area-others fish there.

CB's Outfitters on Siesta Key in Sarasota is near Bradenton and has fly fishing gear, info and guides. I have used a guide named Ed Hurst and I highly recommend him.

http://www.cbsoutfitters.com/

Deuterium wrote:
CB's Outfitters on Siesta Key in Sarasota is near Bradenton and has fly fishing gear, info and guides. I have used a guide named Ed Hurst and I highly recommend him.

http://www.cbsoutfitters.com/

This! Those people are awesome and will go out of their way to help you out.

Boyer

Back