Fishing "hero shots"

If you want to be completely fair to the fish and keep it as healthy as possible STOP FISHING FOR THEM and trying to catch them.

like many on here, I see great value in photos. It may be a trophy fish or it may be a 5" fish that your buddy caught during a great weekend trip. As long as the fish are handled properly / with care, there's little harm done.

When I see a 'bag' holding a fish out of the water for 3 minutes trying different exposures, sun angles and poses....I will say something. Even bass get respect of net, photo, back to net until they are ready to go. A photo worthy smallie is probably 12-16 years old. Mad respect given.

What gets me as much or probably more than the excessive bro shots is the playing a fish to freaking death. You'll see the guy who hooks a fish and lets it run 41 times so that his clicker reel screams. Every run you see his head on a swivel to make sure everyone around has seen he's hooked up. Don't worry if you've missed it because he's gonna let her run again in a minute. Soulless, attention whores. This one will typically get me chirping.

Once landed, I'll open with..."wow, I you had a really big fish on".

As the fish lays in the net belly up, the guy replies with ..."Well, had to go down to 7x. They are taking the olives ya know".

I just simply say "Yeah, I know. We've put 14 in the net already and they were all taken on 4x. Maybe you should work on learning how to get a better drift so that you don't have to go to 7x".

I've been fishing and have seen several fish go by belly up, right under the surface. I'd rather snap my rod, snap my tippet or straighten the hook trying to land a fish rather than exhaust it to the point of no return. The Tully is THE WORST for this...especially as the summer wears on. I had a guy tell me that I would need to use 10x tippet in order for the fish to take the #32 tricos. I fished a #16 caddis emerger on 5x and swung it over his way asking him if he could net it for me. LoL. Just wanted him to see that you didn't need to fish a dust particle on line 1/10 the thickness of baby's hair.

If I ever see any of you guys when I am out fishing I will be sure to do everything right.

larkmark wrote:
If I ever see any of you guys when I am out fishing I will be sure to do everything right.

Next time I see someone watching me hook up on a fish I am going to be so nervous, I'll probably just throw my entire set-up in the water after I hook the fish. If someone is really worried about harming a fish, then they should't be fishing. Is there a proper, better, safer way to land, photo, and release fish, absolutely. Is everyone going to do it this way, probably not. I mean really come on? I think i stepped on a live nymph one time and killed it, probably shouldn't fish from the water then.

We fish because we want to and we enjoy it, not becasue we have to so we can provide food. Of course people want to take pictures of what they catch big or small. Digital photography lets us do that now much easier. Before it was get the old 35MM out and snap a pic or two, wind the film each time or wait for the camera to auto wind. Now its grab the phone and take pics of fish anywhere from 2 inches and bigger.

It is sad at times to watch some people fish and see how careless they are. I watched a few guys spin fishing off the bridge that goes over to the Manor Hotel/Slate Run Road on Pine Creek. They hooked an 18 to 20 inch fish and basically drug it over to the bank from on top the bridge and another guy walked down to release it. Pretty cruel thing to do. Not what I would call ethical, but there are people out there saying that fishing is not ethical either. I don't disagree with them completely. Fish are looking to eat and spawn throughout their liftime. Then we come along and throw some fake food to them. That would be like us as humans having to hunt again for our food and something up the foodchain throws a big steak out in front of us and then hooks us with a boat anchor.

I am still going to fish because I enjoy it and hopefully hook some along the way and release them so they survive.

Matt wrote:
Next time I see someone watching me hook up on a fish I am going to be so nervous, I'll probably just throw my entire set-up in the water

So we can expect some jagoff like myself to come on here in the near future.... complaining how there favorite stream got posted due to abuse / littering.....and cite the encounter they had where they watched a guy hook a fish and then throw his entire set up into the creek. "Some people are just pigs"
:-o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

krayfish2 wrote:
Matt wrote:
Next time I see someone watching me hook up on a fish I am going to be so nervous, I'll probably just throw my entire set-up in the water

So we can expect some jagoff like myself to come on here in the near future.... complaining how there favorite stream got posted due to abuse / littering.....and cite the encounter they had where they watched a guy hook a fish and then throw his entire set up into the creek. "Some people are just pigs"
:-o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL.

Here is a good article covering just about all the bases for proper release techniques >

https://thecreekcreature.com/how-you-should-handle-and-release-trout/?fbclid=IwAR3P79mOsw4KF7EuKElRB0D2Oca5o08V0maJI_j-3M5yigHQuc3KIJX5To4

lol

Back