Fishing "hero shots"

larkmark wrote:
If you have an ego that needs massaged please at the very least only post pictures of fish in the 20"plus range. We do not need to see every dinky fish you catch. Thank you.

It's tough to take that ego shot and look at your profile pic as well.

I'm a picture guy, I feel that I have a system that gets the fish back in the water within a few seconds. I place the camera on a rock, hit the countdown
button for 4 seconds, grab the net and lift the fish. I never lay a fish on the ground next to my rod for a picture. I used to fish alone all the time but now I'm often with friends, that makes pics really easy. That being said the older I get the fewer pics I take, especially if I'm alone. I really do enjoy going back through my pics, it takes me right back to that moment!

Ha ha. sorry I didn't put the winky face emoji on there. Meant as a joke. I don't give a darn what you shoot or how you guys take pictures. Enjoy!

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

I still chuckle at the fly guys that think they can shame or instruct others on what is acceptable in their world view on a privately owned message board in a free country. Especially those that also have pictures posted of mis handled fish according to their own views.

:lol:

Not trying to be a **** - I am on board with most of your post - but this sounds like you're laughing at the idea of people sharing their opinions on a message board. What else are you possibly here for?

I was laughing at the irony.

But yeah if you take a snippet of a quote and disregard the rest i can see how it looks like that.

But not at all what i was driving at. There is a point where you voiced your opinion and then there is a point where....

trying to be a ****

See how that works ;-)

I should add that this is a reason i dont post much anymore.
No point when you even get the freaks following you to other message boards under assumed names just to harass you.

Like people wont notice. Nice pointer dogs :roll:

So i guess im here because its an awesome website with tons of info.
I share if i feel the need which isnt much.

I feel that I am endorsing "survival of the fittest" by fighting the fish for a long time and than taking a photo shot.

Couldn't agree more with the rod on the back thing.
I took one picture like that in my life, about 4 years ago and it was with my biggest smallie ever, I regret it everyday because anyone who does that looks like a terd. I once watched a guy keep a steelhead out of water for over a minute to get his rod leveled on his shoulder, clowns.

krott243 wrote:

I once watched a guy keep a steelhead out of water for over a minute to get his rod leveled on his shoulder, clowns.

That's the kind of thing that my initial post is targeted towards.

krott243 wrote:
I once watched a guy keep a steelhead out of water for over a minute to get his rod leveled on his shoulder, clowns.

Exactly. I've witnessed this myself. That's when it's gone too far.

I think there's an interesting product opportunity for the market here. Basically a "C" shaped clamp that goes on your neck w/ a rod holder built in. That way you can just snap your rod in the holder that's already strapped to your neck and get the "balanced rod across the neck/shoulders" look. Who knows, it could become as trendy as the brook trout patterned buffs all the cool kids wear.

/sarcasm although I bet you could sell a few. :-D

Entirely too many people do the rod on the shoulder thing or the cork in the teeth. It's usually people just getting into it or weekend warriors from my experience though.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I should add that this is a reason i dont post much anymore.
No point when you even get the freaks following you to other message boards under assumed names just to harass you.

Like people wont notice. Nice pointer dogs :roll:

So i guess im here because its an awesome website with tons of info.
I share if i feel the need which isnt much.

No idea if any of that was a dig at me. If so, I can assure you I have no idea what you're talking about.

I do 100% agree with your final comment, and I still come here to hear people's opinions even though I'm not in PA anymore. The site is that good. That's the only reason I inquired after your initial comment. More good views here than bad in my eyes.

I always employ a professional photographer when I go fishing.

No Sir!
I dont even know you. Old news.

I totally agree with you too.

We have this site and we should all thank dkile.
Hands down IMO the greatest state message board for sheer volume and knowledge.
Pretty amazing!

https://youtu.be/kanVOfLF4Go
Great video on taking pictures with fish.

This is futile argument that often comes up on this site. It's really a matter of perspective, so no one wins. While any advise regarding the proper handling of fish is appreciated and recognized for its importance, it often turns into an ulturistic peanut gallery. There are some examples of sloppy fish handling, but for the most part. I think the anglers on this site do really well. If they don't, they sure do hear about it.

I am a huge proponent of photographing fish. If there is a story behind the photograph, that is all the better. I miss the photo essays by Squaretail, Sal, and a few others. We once had a visitor from France, Maski, he wrote wonderful photo essays. Such work, serves a couple of purposes. It inspires me to get out on the water. To some degree, it puts you in that moment and you can place a visual reference to the excitement of the essay. I hope the comments on this board have not served to discourage folks from posting those essays. It's sad when negative comments from some can prevent future positive experiences by others.

I respective everyone's opinion with regards to the proper handling and whether or not it's proper to photograph. It's just an opinion though...

Pictures are nice to share with fishing friends. They can be encouraging, inspiring, and spark great conversation. Yes, trout are fragile are need to be treated with care but that doesn't mean that a picture is totally out of the question. I try to just snap a basic picture of the fish in the net but I'm alone, want to return the fish quickly, and I don't want to drop my phone in the water.

If you truly care about the fish's wellbeing then don't hook it in the mouth and drag it through the water to you..

I usually average 100 trout a year....I don't take pictures even though I was a professional photographer back when we were using real cameras....If a person doesn't believe I can catch fish...well, that's on them. Photo's only do one thing for me - torment me and my addiction.

jifigz wrote: If you truly care about the fish's wellbeing then don't hook it in the mouth and drag it through the water to you..

Right! I agree with the sentiment that each angler must determine their own ethics within the law. In a lighthearted moment I almost posted this:

"I progressed from a standard C&R fly fisher through having a buddy use a stopwatch to cutting the bend off the hook (ala, George Harvey). I now have taken C&R to its highest Zen-like level of conservation enlightenment. So, I now practice I&R: Imagine & Release.

The beauty of I&R is I can fly fish at work, while doing chores, etc! As a bonus, my catch rate is much higher using this method (very few false rises....or maybe they all are?). Also, I can fish alongside any great angler I want....maybe even you!"

Since some folks are taking this serious topic a little too personally, I decided not to post it. Crisis averted. :p

Back