Fishin Fiberglass

JimNovo

So I recently built an 8’ 5wt fiberglass rod which is my first fiberglass rod. I’ve been fishing it (dry flies) and I can’t get hook sets. In 4 trips to my favorite stream I have caught 4 fish, but missed 17 (sorry…ex scientist here who captures data and probably over-analyses it).

I’m never this bad on hook ups with graphite…..ever…..even on tough waters. Is it the rod? Is it me with the rod? What am I missing?

Feedback appreciated.

I had the opposite effect when I tried a new fiberglass last year. I fished a brookie stream and the first two I caught took it deep, probably because of the delay caused by the softer rod response on the strike.

So I recently built an 8’ 5wt fiberglass rod which is my first fiberglass rod. I’ve been fishing it (dry flies) and I can’t get hook sets. In 4 trips to my favorite stream I have caught 4 fish, but missed 17 (sorry…ex scientist here who captures data and probably over-analyses it).

I’m never this bad on hook ups with graphite…..ever…..even on tough waters. Is it the rod? Is it me with the rod? What am I missing?

Feedback appreciated.
It may well be the rod. A couple of glass rods that I own seem to make it hard to set the hook when fishing upstream. The same rods work great when fishing downstream. And I have one glass rod (a Reddington Butterstick) that seems to make it impossible to set the hook regardless of which direction I'm fishing.

I'll stress that this is not true of glass in general, but just a few specific rods. I'm sure it's me + those particular rods that are the problem.

Last edited:

Feedback appreciated.

First off, what you are "missing" is fish...

Sorry, couldn't resist... 🙂

The FIRST thing I check when I miss a few fish is my hook point & gap. If it isn't super sharp I touch it up. I also tie a pretty fat beetle pattern and sometimes I miss a few because dubbing is "clogging" up the gap. On those flies I'll open up the gap a little.

If that's a non-issue...

I am not implying all glass rods are slow because I own a few graphite rods that are slower than glass rods in my quiver. However, one thing I can guarantee is there ain't a chance your rod is slower than some rods I fish so it's not just the rod.

It's sometimes hard to tell the difference between a miss because you are early with the hookset and a miss AFTER a refusal. If it is the former, you are over compensating due to a feeling you need to set the hook faster because the rod is slower (which isn't necessarily true). If it's the latter, change flies.

If you are missing because you are late, technically you would see the leader or fly line move as the fish grabs the fly. If this is the case you have to speed things up a bit or widen the arc of your hookset. Another possibility is your timing was just off that day. It happens to all of us, even with fish that are not as persnickety as trout.

Coincidentally, just yesterday I drove past the creek where I fished my first slow glass fly rod and had a similar frustrating day. I quickly figured it out and never had a problem since and you will too.

Just don't give up on the rod, stick with it and soon you will be sticking fish. I fish a TON of glass rods and they are fantastic fishing rods and I'm sure yours is too.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
I only fish a glass rod, and I do mean “a” glass rod. Each year and maybe each trip my first take on a dry fly is missed because I lift too soon. It’s a reflex…probably from decades of spin fishing and jigging. Anyway, the solution provided by one of my friends and former colleagues was simple. He said lift on the take only after saying to yourself, “God save the Queen.” It works.

Another friend and former colleague on one occasion told me to shorten my leader a bit if I was missing consistently.

Finally, I tend to miss more with smaller, sz18-20-22 flies. When that happens consistently across a few takes, I move the hook point out a the slightest bit by bending the hook at the curve. It’s an old spinner trick used when in some cases the stock hook points are too close to the shaft of the hook because the hook gap is too small.

Last edited:
In 2024 and beyond maybe it's time for "god save me" hook set. (Joking). As a glass fisher the lift technique as described above works
100 % for me

Last edited:
I am a fiberglass junkie, so to speak. I fish a lot of glass for both trout and bass. I have never experienced this problem that you speak of. How many different days have you had these hookup failures? Maybe it was just the way the trout were eating that day and not your rod? Maybe you didn't quite have the right fly, so they weren't super committed? I don't know, but I don't think just switching to a glass rod should affect your hookup rates on dry fly takes...unless you are talking about really, really long casts where you might not have the power to pick up that much line quick enough and drive the hook into the fish's mouth...

I am a fiberglass junkie, so to speak. I fish a lot of glass for both trout and bass. I have never experienced this problem that you speak of. How many different days have you had these hookup failures? Maybe it was just the way the trout were eating that day and not your rod? Maybe you didn't quite have the right fly, so they weren't super committed? I don't know, but I don't think just switching to a glass rod should affect your hookup rates on dry fly takes...unless you are talking about really, really long casts where you might not have the power to pick up that much line quick enough and drive the hook into the fish's mouth...
So my observation is based on 4 separate trips. Each one having the same basic outcome of more missed takes than connections. The casts are not very long, but I do get the sense that the power on the pick up is missing. There is no tug as if it is even a partial or weak hook set in their mouth. And I doubt it is all last second refusals. I am sure these fish are pressured and selective, but I cant believe that I am missing so many takes. I fish tougher water with my 9ft graphite rods where I need to make longer casts and I dont have outcomes like this.

Ill keep trying....maybe shorten the leader and try to keep a tighter line to the fly. Ill also take a graphite rod out on the next trip too.

Just a curious observation.....based in frustration.

So my observation is based on 4 separate trips. Each one having the same basic outcome of more missed takes than connections. The casts are not very long, but I do get the sense that the power on the pick up is missing. There is no tug as if it is even a partial or weak hook set in their mouth. And I doubt it is all last second refusals. I am sure these fish are pressured and selective, but I cant believe that I am missing so many takes. I fish tougher water with my 9ft graphite rods where I need to make longer casts and I dont have outcomes like this.

Ill keep trying....maybe shorten the leader and try to keep a tighter line to the fly. Ill also take a graphite rod out on the next trip too.

Just a curious observation.....based in frustration.
Hmm. Interesting. I am wondering how, if you were "striking" on the rise just like you always did when using graphite, that would translate into a missed take. If anything, wouldn't the same reaction time with your rod be a slight delay to when the hook gets driven into the fish's mouth due to the slower action of the glass?

Just stick with it. You'll figure it out. I do love me some glass.

Last edited:
I can't imagine that the only issue is rod action. My natural reaction to missed (topwater) takes is to check the hook and strike harder the next time. If your hookset is immediately straightening line a pinned fish will bend your rod right away. Sometimes the upstream/downstream angle comes into play. If a fish takes a fly on a directly upstream cast, its nose will lift the tippet and pull the fly right out of its mouth when you try to set the hook. Directly downstream, a too-fast hookset will pull the fly out before the fish gets a chance to latch on.

I fish the same 8’ 5wt blank, and had a similar issue when I first took it out.. it seemed like my line pickup on the hook set was too slow. The “god save the queen” worked when a fish held on to the fly longer or hooked itself, but I wasn’t able to quickly get set on fish that would grab the fly then immediately spit it.

I got in the habit of adding a downward haul with my line hand on every hook set, to get tight to the fly faster. I think it’s helped.

Following this with interest...no matter graphite, glass, or bamboo I've always figured my f'd up hooksets were the result of me 1) striking too fast, pulling the fly away, 2) striking too hard, snapping off flies, or 3) striking too slow, enabling the fish to eject the fly before my lame hook set.

I religiously sharpen hooks too. But never have I pondered the rod being to slow or weak.

,,,I fish tougher water with my 9ft graphite rods where I need to make longer casts and I dont have outcomes like this.

If you want to do an accurate comparison between your 8'0" glass rod and graphite, make your comparison with an 8'0" graphite rod because the relationship between hand to tip top movent is amplified more with a longer rod.

In other words, when setting the hook if you move your rod hand the same distance with your eight foot rod, the end of the rod isn't moving as far as it does with your nine foot rod. That means the distance the fly is moving is shorter as well and that may be why you are missing.

Do you own another 8'0" rod? If so, do you have issues setting the hook with that rod?

If you don't own another 8'0" rod to do a comparison, all you may need to do with your glass rod is to widen the arc of your hookset motion like I mentioned in my earlier post. That will amplify your hand motion, effectively replicating the distance the tip top moves on your 9'0" rods.

Stick with it, make minor adjustments and you will gain the confidence which is another reason you have the "yips" with that rod.

Good luck!!

I pretty much use a nymphing rod early season and generally switch to glass around Memorial Day. The flies are a bit more consistent and dry fly action definitely picking up. I use glass only for for dry flies and swinging wets.

When i switch over, I have bunch of misses but soon settle down into the rhythm of glass pretty quickly.

With me anyway I believe it's a timing thing. Contrary to what seems obvious, slowing down with the slow rod gets me more hook ups.

My THEORY is that on a fast hook set your rod tip introduces slack first, then tension. On a slower set, it is more of a gradual tightening of the line. Slack is minimized, if not eliminated.

It's during that slack millisecond I believe the fish are missed.

Without seeing what you’re doing I have nothing to add if you are too fast or too slow. I’d only suggest try to do something intentionally different than what you are currently doing.

One thing is that I feel like this is one of those problems that gets into your head and sometimes just takes time to work out. I’ve had clients miss a doz fish and get more and more frustrated only to have them stop for a minute and take a break to then sticking and landing the next fish. Sometimes it just takes a little time to reset/recalibrate. Hope you solve it soon!

Last edited:

Feedback appreciated.
Dear Jim,

Just curious, how are you handling your line in your off hand? Have you thought about, or attempted to strip line when setting the hook? If you haven't it may help you to overcome the slower action of the fiberglass rod.

Another idea is to vary the angle of your strike. Depending on the flow of the water you are fishing maybe a downstream strike will let the water assist you on the hookset? Think of it like this. If a fish takes directly across, or slightly upstream from you striking sidearm downstream may let the water help take up the slack.

Lastly, make sure you are paying attention to the lay of your line on the water. Curves in your leader help on drag free floats, but combined with curves on your line laying on the water may leave you too much to make up for when setting the hook.

I'm pretty good at hook setting, mostly because I'm pretty lousy at getting fish to hit in the first place so I strive to succeed however I can. 😉

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Dear Jim,

Just curious, how are you handling your line in your off hand? Have you thought about, or attempted to strip line when setting the hook? If you haven't it may help you to overcome the slower action of the fiberglass rod.

Another idea is to vary the angle of your strike. Depending on the flow of the water you are fishing maybe a downstream strike will let the water assist you on the hookset? Think of it like this. If a fish takes directly across, or slightly upstream from you striking sidearm downstream may let the water help take up the slack.

Lastly, make sure you are paying attention to the lay of your line on the water. Curves in your leader help on drag free floats, but combined with curves on your line laying on the water may leave you too much to make up for when setting the hook.

I'm pretty good at hook setting, mostly because I'm pretty lousy at getting fish to hit in the first place so I strive to succeed however I can. 😉

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂
Great tips Tim! I’ll give them a try.

Just need to try strip setting and pay more attention to the angle of the water and the set!

Back