First "spawn" post of 2016!

I joined several different fishing groups on Facebook a while back. There is always some kind of ethical debate going on, some kind of ban being proposed. Catch and release became the big craze for all sorts of fishing not just trout, then it turned into proper fish handling, then everything had to be barbless hooks, then taking pictures was bad, then any part of the fish removed from the water for any amount of time was bad. One of the things that is now being targeted for bans are the rock piles people make in or along streams or trails in parks and how terrible it is and how it is destroying the ecosystem. Rock balancing they call it I guess. I was just reading the back and forth about it before I came across this thread. Many of the guys who would see someone jailed for possibly disturbing a redd are appalled by these man made stone piles and all of the "damage" they can do to a stream. Just found it interesting how some react to one stone pile vs another, and am wondering what the next "necessary" ban will be to preserve the trout that have survived and thrived just fine without it.

Reeder wrote:
I joined several different fishing groups on Facebook a while back. There is always some kind of ethical debate going on, some kind of ban being proposed. Catch and release became the big craze for all sorts of fishing not just trout, then it turned into proper fish handling, then everything had to be barbless hooks, then taking pictures was bad, then any part of the fish removed from the water for any amount of time was bad. One of the things that is now being targeted for bans are the rock piles people make in or along streams or trails in parks and how terrible it is and how it is destroying the ecosystem. Rock balancing they call it I guess. I was just reading the back and forth about it before I came across this thread. Many of the guys who would see someone jailed for possibly disturbing a redd are appalled by these man made stone piles and all of the "damage" they can do to a stream. Just found it interesting how some react to one stone pile vs another, and am wondering what the next "necessary" ban will be to preserve the trout that have survived and thrived just fine without it.

Rock balancing? You're joking right?

Unfortunately, I am not kidding. Smithsonian did a piece about it, as well as a few other less known outlets. It didn't take long in the comments I was reading until it turned into a debate on how it negatively affects insects and trout.

Before I make my first cast of the day, I build a rock tower. The bigger, the better. .My best is just over 7' tall. We have a Facebook page "rock stackers".

It's similar to a dog marking his territory. Imagine the look on an anglers face when he silently slips in to his secret spot to "start breaking jaws" on the spawning beds and sees my 7' rock tower. "Does someone else know about my spot? Was a Yeti here?". BTW, bragging about ripping fish off the beds is like bragging you beat up that kid in the wheelchair......not impressed.

It's all triggered photo period as with any (well most) annually breeding species.

Reeder wrote:
Unfortunately, I am not kidding. Smithsonian did a piece about it, as well as a few other less known outlets. It didn't take long in the comments I was reading until it turned into a debate on how it negatively affects insects and trout.

What are their arguments on how it negatively affects insects and trout?

Maybe you could just copy and paste that part.

I've seen these rock piles. I don't recall exactly when the fad started. Maybe 15 years ago or so?

I think they are kind of silly. But it's hard to imagine how it might impact trout.

There is an ancient tradition of cairns (rock piles) that goes back probably as long as there were humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairn

The current rock stacking fad seems to be done mostly by youngish people, college age, 20-somethings.

Why they do it, who knows?

krayfish2 wrote:
BTW, bragging about ripping fish off the beds is like bragging you beat up that kid in the wheelchair......not impressed.

But that's what makes us a "Trout Pro"

Post #29 is Ronnie Kitterage approved. Lol

When the tunnel at Poe Paddy was closed and one of the options was to go "up and over" to get to the other side there was a cairn along the trail near the top of the mountain. I confess that I added a rock to it one day as I went by. Sorry to all.

krayfish2 wrote:
Post #29 is Ronnie Kitterage approved. Lol

You say tomato, I say tomahto, you say rip, I say finesse

I think they are kind of silly. But it's hard to imagine how it might impact trout.

Not hard to imagine. They don't look very stable. If one was built in the water, trout may use it as cover. If it should happen to fall, I'd imagine it'd impact any trout underneath rather severely!!!!

:)

This thread has devolved to drivel.

troutbert wrote:
Reeder wrote:

What are their arguments on how it negatively affects insects and trout?

Maybe you could just copy and paste that part.

I've seen these rock piles. I don't recall exactly when the fad started. Maybe 15 years ago or so?

There does not have to be any valid arguments in this day and age for someone or some group to take offense to anything and start a campaign against someone, something or some practice. I'm offended by those who are offended by rock stacks in streams.. Everyone needs to pick the hill they would die on. A pile of rocks in a stream isn't mine..

Somebody start a movement and Facebook page to stop this thread!

Ironically, I started it out of a completely sincere inquisition (uh oh, is that a trigger word for Protestants!?)

Lot of micro aggressions going on in this thread now.

If there's one thing I hate, it's micro aggression.

Those sound like fightin words!

Back