First Hare's ear

I was talking about a fast run into a pool, thats the slow water i am talking about. Not talking about a damn lake lol

You nymph frog water and you know it. FROG WATER!

Nymph fishing is for boring people.

Another Fran Betters' pattern I made a pair of last night:
http://hipwader.com/2005/tying-the-parasol-emerger

PS9.JPG

Seems just about perfect for those super slow pools.

So a nymph with a built in indicator.

Cute.

jayL wrote:
Cute.

Technically, I'm fishing on the surface, I've found a loophole.

What's next Jerry? a variant where you replace the poly yarn with a thingamabobber?

trowpa wrote:
What's next Jerry? a variant where you replace the poly yarn with a thingamabobber?

Those cost too much, I don't remember who (Mkern?), but someone suggested orange poly yarn wrapped int hread, doubled, and wrapped again.

They hit the surface with barely a splash, and they float like a cork with some Abolene. Cost is negliable.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Nice to see you finally got a set. :lol:

Backups, the wife keeps the primary set in a box with my dignity.. its why I'm allowedt o b seen in public with the likes of you.

;)

jdaddy wrote:
I was talking about a fast run into a pool, thats the slow water i am talking about. Not talking about a damn lake lol

You nymph frog water and you know it. FROG WATER!

In my Early beginnings of fly fishing I can count on both hands how many times I have nymphed, and it has never been in froggy water lol

Guess you have a lot to learn then yet. Nymphing is the best way to get fish. Must not mind not catching fish or trying a challenge, HUH..

snuffysmith wrote:
Guess you have a lot to learn then yet. Nymphing is the best way to get fish. Must not mind not catching fish or trying a challenge, HUH..

See here...

Thanks for the contribution to the internet. We all have benefited from you vast knowledge. Thanks again!

jayL wrote:
Cute.

FWIW, attracts hits like jdaddy in the tea room, but I don't seem to hook too many... I suspect its the wee little sz20 hook and the too-thick mono I used for the post.

Further experimentation required.

snuffysmith wrote:

I guess you do not know my background enough....I just started fly fishing first weekend of June and my main water that I have fished has been the Pohopoco and The Lehigh River, couple times on the LL and the No trout Monocacy and some freshley stocked creek in Sept or Oct with Jdaddy and Jay L.. For some odd reason there is almost always some kind of Hatch on the Pohopoco so I can almost always Use drys. When I fish the lehigh there is also almost a hatch going on so once again, I use drys. If there is not a hatch I will throw some nymphs but soon enough there is a hatch and I am retying and throwing on a sulpher. So as you can see I have not been fly fishing long and have not had the experience yet to learn nymphing. O by the way....I still think nymphing is like bait fishing :)

FWIW, attracts hits like jdaddy in the tea room, but I don't seem to hook too many...

Nor do I. However find a fly that attract hits like jdaddy in a grocery store and you have a winner!

Further experimentation required.

Wat?

Seriously though Shane, there are folks dedicated to dry fly fishing. It has distinct merits. However, at the end of the day it is a fact that fish take 80% + of their food subsurface. Likewise, it is a fact that browns over 18" compose most of their diet on baitfish/crustaceans/etc due to mathematics of energy expenditure versus intake, thus streamer fishing would be the way to go for large fish.

Moral of the story is keep cranking out the PT and HE!

LRSABecker wrote:

O by the way....I still think nymphing is like bait fishing :)

In such a short time you've learned so much!

LSRA, first you say you don't have enough experience to nymph fish and then you say it's like bait fishing. If it's bait fishing it should be easy! Learn to nymph fish properly and you may change your mind. I see myself in you when I started flyfishing. I only wanted to fish drys because I did'nt feel comfortable fishing nymphs and did'nt understand the techniques required to do it. I had two friends who showed me how to fish nymphs properly. If you want to catch alot of trout learn to nymph fish. It is the most effective method. Everybody likes to catch fish even the guys who say they don't care. I agree fishing drys is exciting and fun but if you want to become a good flyfisher learn all the methods. You must get out of your comfort zone to learn but in the end it's worth it. Tight Lines to you.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
LSRA, first you say you don't have enough experience to nymph fish and then you say it's like bait fishing. If it's bait fishing it should be easy! Learn to nymph fish properly and you may change your mind. I see myself in you when I started flyfishing. I only wanted to fish drys because I did'nt feel comfortable fishing nymphs and did'nt understand the techniques required to do it. I had two friends who showed me how to fish nymphs properly. If you want to catch alot of trout learn to nymph fish. It is the most effective method. Everybody likes to catch fish even the guys who say they don't care. I agree fishing drys is exciting and fun but if you want to become a good flyfisher learn all the methods. You must get out of your comfort zone to learn but in the end it's worth it. Tight Lines to you.

I didn't say I don't have enough experience TO nymph fish, I said I haven't had enough time in my short fly fishing life to nymph. There is a difference. Heck I am going for chrome this weekend and all I will do is nymph and throw streamers. I am just busting balls when I say it is like bait fishing. I know how some guys get riled up when you compare the two, thats all. I am sure this weekend I will get a couple lessons or two on the nymphing technique and I will be happy to take it all in. Also, it is not that I do not feel comfortable doing it, I was a bait fisherman for 18 yrs, I just have not found it enjoyable.

Thanks for the clarification. If you like to catch fish you will find nymphing enjoyable! LOL. Good luck on your trip. How about a report upon your return.

I am sure you will read all about me in the Steelhead jam threads, I'm a pretty big deal LOL j/k

Back