Favorite Place?

raftman wrote:
West Branch of the Penobscot, anywhere along the Golden Road.

I was coming down the Penobscot in a canoe many years ago when a bull moose stuck his head out of the water, with cress all over his antlers. A moment I will never forget as long as I live.

A few places away from home that stick out in my mind.
Slough creek 3rd meadow for beauty...
wX4YwbW.jpg

1sZxDCL.jpg

Best overall fishing.... I'd have to go with The Big Horn
fRiCleH.jpg

OLiaLMF.jpg

Biggest fish.... The San Juan average fish size was unbelievable
4k9IQDN.jpg

S4hVpMn.jpg

My favorite overall though is BFC, I love the scenery, the fish are beautiful and I have never had a bad day there.
rlX4Nrx.jpg

a7TMLU3.jpg

Kettle Creek in Potter County.

Camping at Poe Paddy and spending the weekend in the Penns Creek canyon. Nothing better.

Nice subject Coty, well done. And a tip of the cap to Maurice for his first post as well.

Around here, Slate Run / Pine Creek. I love a lonely olive hatch on the Little J. And of course the challenge of the D

Out West; a spot or two on Upper Rock Creek. Also the Lochsa River in Idaho. And a little place near there I won't name.

Of course, the very few times I've floated with someone who could neither cast nor row, the take out was just awesome!

Favorite? Amywhere I catch fish :)

I'll say the Lackawanna River. Not for ambiance, (but the upper reaches can be beautiful), but for knowing what the condition of the Lackawanna was like when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's.

This river has gone from cesspool to a water that holds large trout and is becoming a destination water for anglers wishing to catch a large brown.

It's a remarkable comeback and kudos to all who have worked so hard (and continue to do so) to bring this river back!

raftman wrote:

It's a magical place for me for many reasons. One, I beat out a bald eagle for a big landlocked salmon. Two, the chance to catch both salmon and large brookies is awesome. Three, I love Maine, especially that area. Having lived up there for a bit and traveled/lived out west, Maine, to me, is the wildest state in the lower 48.

Many more reasons, but those will have to do for now.

Doing a section hike through the 100 Mile (Katahdin to Jo Mary Road) in July! Definitely looking forward to doing some fly in the area. Heard good things about the Rainbow Lake dead waters.

The Army took me all over the world. I tried to fish when I could.

Hell, I even fished in the Kunar River in Afghanistan. I have no idea what I caught, but I fished.

Not a best place.

In contrast, I got to go to Chile in 2005. I was down in the Aysen Region, near Coyhaique. One of the Chilean soldiers and his wife took me out fishing for huge browns and salmon. 10 pound browns were common. utterly amazing and beautiful mountains with pristine wilderness. I also got to go way into southern Chile to explore the fronteir. I didn't fish but it was beautiful.

It's an aweful river, even compared to the "worst" river on this thread but my answer has to be the Conestoga. I grew up with it as my back yard. Pretty much where I learned to fly fish, spending hours casting to fish that weren't there. I'd come home after deployments to Iraq and it was amazing seeing family and friends, but I was never really home until I threw on a pair of old shorts and waided out into that **** filled water. Wrote a story about the experience,never sent in to a mag or anything but changed it to a trout stream because the 'stoga isn't "sexy" enough. But that's my answer. I love that river. It (and probably a lot of bacteria from the water) flow through my veins.

PA - Penns - I have yet to fish a better stream as far as layout and fish quantity/quality

WV - a certain section of the Elk

MD - Savage when the sulphur hatch is on

I can relate to 1manwolfpack's post.

From the age of 6-10, I lived in a development called Green Lane Farms which I believe is in Fairview Township in northern York County.

That was in the mid-1960's when this place was new and being developed. We lived on Juniper Drive which was a dead end road. The dead end was at the Yellow Breeches Creek.

This is way downstream from Boiling Springs and not too far upstream from New Cumberland. I never caught a trout there. Growing up way back then was different. As kids, we played outdoors with footballs, basketballs, and baseballs.

We only got three channels on the TV.

If I wasn't playing some kind of ball, I was at the Yellow Breeches Creek with my Zebco 202 fishing. I had three Havahart traps growing up. These are cage traps for catch & release, and there were a lot of critters along the Yellow Breeches to catch and release.

I think that it was Benjamin Franklin who said that the only thing you could count on in life was death and taxes. My go to bait in those Havahart traps was a Burger King Whopper. Some critter that could fit in those traps would find it.

My favorite waters....hmmmmm I think I'd have to say the Delaware. Specifically the lower East and Lower Main when I have fish all to myself. Out West, either the Colorado River from Pumphouse to Radium because of the scenery. Or the Colorado at the ranch ae stay at in Gypsum. 2 miles of private access on the colorado across from Paul Newmans Ranch.

Savage River watershed....beautiful fish/scenery.

Colorado High Elevation Cutthroat Lakes... That is my heaven although I've only fished two on them.

I'm in the crowd that counts my favorite place to be the place I am then fishing. But I have had more mystical revelations on Penns, starting with a green drake hatch just after dark. I, nor any of my compatriots, could catch a fish or even see our fly, but it was magic nonetheless. Every adjective that could be used to modify the word stream applies somewhere on this rivulet.

csoult wrote:
raftman wrote:

I was coming down the Penobscot in a canoe many years ago when a bull moose stuck his head out of the water, with cress all over his antlers. A moment I will never forget as long as I live.
On my first trip to Maine I was on the Golden Road just before the gate to Baxter SP when in the distance a huge moose was wading the river, it's rack had to be at least 6 feet wide.
My old new wife at the time took a picture of a big bull at Lazy Tom Bog one evening when we were out moosing.

My favorite place is anywhere when I'm catching fish during a hatch with good company.

oops

Tie between Bobs Creek and Wills Creek, Bedford County.

Back