Favorite Place?

My home for a week in May, the whole month of July and two weeks starting Labor Day weekend...... The Madison River from Slide down to Ennis......... Going to retire there in 4 yrs.& 10 months...... At home, Penns...... March till June.....:):):)

Quite a few places I've been have been listed. Henry's Fork, Madison, even Buxton.

But for me it's gotta be Penn's. Despite some crowds, the dirt roads, wildlife, big woods atmosphere, mountains all around, etc. gives it that remote feel of a good brookie stream. Just getting there sets the mood of an adventure. But it's sizable with nice sized fish. It's got varied water. Prolific hatches. And it always presents you with puzzles and something unexpected, so it tickles the technical aspects too.

wildtrout2 wrote:
Tack-L-Tyer wrote:
Brad, That has to be one of the most profound angling pictures anywhere, anytime. Thanks for posting it. (So much for a dead drift)!!
I agree, that's an amazing pic. The way those waves were captured is really something.

Yep, great pic indeed.

Perhaps you're already aware of this, but the strange wave action is actually typical of that spot at the Outer Banks. The waves crash together and spray upward. It's really striking the first time you see it.

was there back in the fifties,the bars were fun to ride by,customers mostly outside drinking and barefooted--back in the days when you had to take a ferry to Hatteras -interesting island but never caught a channel bass [redfish]until i moved to fl..

Interesting thread. As expected, lots of love for Penns. Can't say I understand the crazy love for it....but OK. Some love for the gemmie blue lines, CV limestoners and way out west, which is also expected. 2 things really surprised me though..... 3rd post was a vote for the upper EB. Wow. I'd think I could ask 5000 anglers and not get one vote for upper EB. I love it but it is brutally tough. I also thought I'd see more love for the bronzebacks.

Not sure I can pick a favorite. I'd say the 100+ miles of the Beaverkill, EB, WB and Main. Such varied water types and scenery. Just depends on time of year, flows and hatches.

I love those magical days on the Little J when the fish are rising all day long

-- Kettle Creek
-- the 9 trout streams within 15 minutes of my camp in Forest county plus a 10th that's 35 minutes away
-- Slough Creek first and second meadow in Yellowstone

The mountain views of all three add to the experience.

Caught 3 browns there last year. All on top. On 3 successive casts. Smallest one was 17". Rarely see another fisherman. Place could be my favorite, if it were not for...

This bigger river where it passes through a breathtaking canyon. Hard place to get to. But full of genormous brown and rainbows...some rattlesnakes...and a 28" brown that I thought I'd never land...but did.

Or, this special place that I can walk to in 5 minutes. And in the evening after other fishermen have left the river... I once caught 30 trout...on the same dry fly...within a few feet of each other...before calling it a day.

I've fishing a 1000 times in all those favorite places already mentioned in PA and NY...and love them all dearly...but Montana is where my heart lies these days.

I also thought I'd see more love for the bronzebacks.

Mine was intended to be.
In all honesty, I've fished the New, St. Lawrence, Potomac and many other rivers for brozebacks. While I cannot claim to have fished the Columbia, Snake or other western rivers for bass, I can tell you that the Susquehanna is my favorite.
Some are prettier and some have more bigger fish but none have the length or length of access, none offer so many variable water types, geology and depth change. Our river is very unique in these aspects. That is in large part to why I have moved close to it.
If I had to pick a second, I would take The St. Lawrence.

I prefer moving water but there are some really good smallmouth lakes too. I do intend to target the bass that move in from Erie in the next few years, but I got a few trips planned to the St. Lawrence and New River before I do that.

I guess I should have said "places" nor place.

The Tunkhannock Creek in Wyoming County,(Why) Because i can be there in 5 minutes from work and 10 from home what more can you ask for.

krayfish2 wrote:
Interesting thread. As expected, lots of love for Penns. Can't say I understand the crazy love for it....but OK.

Penns is the allure of the tall, leggy blonde that catches everyone's eye but you know is just gonna be a hot mess. You'd never take Penns home to meet Mom. I've had an occasional flirtation with Penns myself, but at the end of the night I'd rather be around a kind hearted, dependable blue line.

There's one in particular that does it all for me. I try to fish it a couple times per year, but not fish it too much, as I don't want it to lose that feeling. I also only fish it on a day off of work...not on weekends. Not that I've ever seen another angler on it, but I think going to sleep the night before knowing I have a day off of work adds to it. It’s roughly 2.5 hours from my house. Far enough to add some anticipation on the ride there, and some time for reflection on the way home, but not so far that you mind the drive for a day trip. I’ve tried to pinpoint why this one is so special, and why it stands apart from so many others I’ve fished just like it, but I can’t really. It just “feels” different…I’m sure everyone knows that feeling for the place they’ve mentioned in this thread. I’ve had many good fishing days it, but I’ve also had days where it fished slow and I only turned up a couple fish after hiking and fishing for miles. I’ve never had a bad day on it though. The biggest fish I’ve caught on it is only an 11” Brown. I’ve shared outings on it with a couple PAFF friends, and something special happened each time. salmonoid, Squatch, you guys will know the one.

Swattie87 wrote:
krayfish2 wrote:
Interesting thread. As expected, lots of love for Penns. Can't say I understand the crazy love for it....but OK.

Penns is the allure of the tall, leggy blonde that catches everyone's eye but you know is just gonna be a hot mess. You'd never take Penns home to meet Mom. I've had an occasional flirtation with Penns myself, but at the end of the night I'd rather be around a kind hearted, dependable blue line.

And as I've said many times...When Penns is in the bushes, Spring creek is as dependable as the chunky friend of the hot chick when they flip the light on at 2:00am.

You'll probably get lucky but in the end, that ain't way ya came.

Maurice wrote:
Swattie87 wrote:
krayfish2 wrote:

And as I've said many times...When Penns is in the bushes, Spring creek is as dependable as the chunky friend of the hot chick when they flip the light on at 2:00am.

You'll probably get lucky but in the end, that ain't way ya came.

Good call on Spring Mo. Completely accurate.

I like to think of the blue line I described above as the girl next door that hasn't figured out she's hot yet.

Seattle,
11" is the biggest you've caught on Penns? That's surprising as I'd think that's closer to the low side average. I've taken some decent fish (20-ish) and been spooled by 2 larger fish but still don't have the butterflies in the stomach when I go there. It's OK but not 'moving' in my eyes. Most of the time I've been there it's a sh*tshow. Lol

kray - The 11" Brown I was referring to was from the little blue line that is my favorite place...I've caught a 17" Fallfish in Penns, on a size 16 sulphur parachute for bonus points.

I love Pine Creek , anywhere from Slate Run to Waterville. I also have the Lehigh River , Hickory Run and Nescopeck creek almost in my back yard and love them all too.
Basically I love anywhere that has A trout stream.

krayfish2 wrote:
3rd post was a vote for the upper EB. Wow. I'd think I could ask 5000 anglers and not get one vote for upper EB. I love it but it is brutally tough.

What can I say, I love a challenge. As much as I love the west branch, the sheer amount of people is the reason I put the upper east instead. The upper east gets hit very hard, but it's not shoulder to shoulder like I've seen sections of the west.

Kobalt,

I agree totally. It's too tough for most guys which is why the Angler count is lower. The hatches are strong, the fish are strong and it holds some surprisingly huge fish if you know what you're doing. I just don't have the patience to spend 45 minutes stalking a fish in a flat and then stumble which sends him scampering away.

West Branch of the Penobscot, anywhere along the Golden Road.

It's a magical place for me for many reasons. One, I beat out a bald eagle for a big landlocked salmon. Two, the chance to catch both salmon and large brookies is awesome. Three, I love Maine, especially that area. Having lived up there for a bit and traveled/lived out west, Maine, to me, is the wildest state in the lower 48.

Many more reasons, but those will have to do for now.

Back