Favorite Place?

I've fished Penns (Poe Daddy) and WB Delaware (PA only). I'd vote Penns hands down. Easier to get away from the crowds. More remote. Easier wading.

Millerstime,

For remoteness and solitude, I'd suggest the game lands section of the WB (aka Salmon River, aka most jammed section on the system). If that's where you went, I feel your pain.

No votes for the Yough? 80,000 rafter and a train every 7 minutes kills the experience. Lol. I really liked that river. Very pretty and quite unique.

I wish more people would get the memo that Penns is a better place to fish than the system.

If you can't cast, I'd say Penns could be la creme de la creme. If you can cast, that opens up lots of larger water, with bigger fish, and less people. Some of these rivers have hatches that are on par with Penns.

I like to walk a stream / river and get off the beaten path, bushwack to a spot that hasn't seen a fly in forever. As soon as you find it you know it's THAT spot. The smell of the vegetation fills your lungs.

So I would say that my favorite place to fish is a place I have yet to find.

Or maybe what it's all about is the journey.

My favorite place is when I have located what appears to be a 20" or larger brown trout rising steadily about 3" off the bank and I'm in an ideal casting position. Ah, that is as good as it gets!

"If you can't cast, I'd say Penns could be la creme de la crème". You have no idea what your talking about.

Little Conestoga Creek below Columbia Ave on a June morning 1973. I can still smell the burn hazel and bass.

Hookjaw...I sent you a PM.

My favorite place to fish is wherever I can create new memories in remote beautiful areas with clean fresh water and rising trout.

Having said that, some of my fondest memories include local stocked streams, blue lines, and any other place to wet a line with my closest friends. Penns creek makes that list, mostly by happenstance in being in close proximity to our yearly PAFF Jam.

I am most fond however, of the time I spent in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Most notable would be the Madison river below Hebgen lake, Henry's Fork, and the lower sections of the Firehole. However, my all around best memory fishing is while camping at a BLM in the Teton Mountains about 40 minutes outside Jackson Hole, alongside a tributary of the Hoback river a few miles upstream of the Snake River confluence. This remote place, away from crowds, provided me with some of the most peaceful moments I can recall. The cutthroats were wild, beautiful, plentiful, and sometimes very large, making the experience that much better. My mind wanders back there often.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 3
Wow....zenherper! How you doing? Haven't seen you around these parts in a long time

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Wow....zenherper! How you doing? Haven't seen you around these parts in a long time

I'm well. Along with finishing my Ph.D. work, teaching high school and college, and coaching 4 sports, I lost touch with the forum for a while. Now I've finished the Ph.D. work, and I am only coaching football, so I have considerably more time. I hope you are well.

Any place where there is a lot of creek and a few people.... preferably friends.

To be a little more specific.
-Just about any place in NC PA. I love my Memorial Day weekends there fishing w/ my wife, brothers, and cousins. Each year we randomly pick a new stream to fish. It's easy to do

-Upper AuSable River in Michigan. The last time I fished here I float
ed it with my son before he moved to Colorado. While we were fishing a huge Bald Eagle flew over and perched itself in the top of a tree. A little further down the river an Osprey did the same thing. The sun was shining and the fishing pretty much sucked after we saw the eagle but I will never forget that trip.

Rocky Mountain National Parks Glacier Creek and the Big Thompson River for both the fish and the beauty.

Back