Favorite Place?

easy one for me: Penns Creek, love that place.

I think it relates to that place where you pause and say, I've arrived. I have had that moment on Slate run on a sandy point bar full of buttercups and goldenrod during a yellow sally hatch. I sat on a log mesmerized by the spectacle until startled by my brother asking "what the hell are ya doing man?"

This right here is what its all about man! I'm still looking for "that" place.

Last time I was out, was around 15 years ago, on Econfina Creek in NW Florida. Just the sound of the wind in the palmetto bushes and the running water. That was about the best we had where I grew up.

Here's to hoping I can find better around here when I finally get the chance to get out again!

Raven Fork above the gorge in the Smokies.

Wherever I am fishing at the moment.

a little gem hidden in the NCPA mountains

Right about here.

Attachments

• IMG_2651 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_2651 (Custom).JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 4
Mine is a whole region of PA, not anyone one specific creek.

A certain spot on Penns.

My favorite place to fish by a landslide is the delaware river in the catskills. I will never forget my first trip there in september 2007. I got to deposit NY and didn't have a clue what to do or where to fish but i spotted a few risers in the "frog water" just below the route 17 bridge. I worked those fish for hours in water that was around 46 degrees and i wasn't wearing thermals because at the time i didn't really know about the bottom release from cannonsville.

I remember finally hooking an 18" brown trout after about my 1000th cast and while i had this fish on a lightening storm came through deposit and i had the choice to ditch the fish or fight it and I fought it for what seemed like an hour but was only a minute or two of heavy wind, rain, and lightening all around me. After landing that fish i ran to my truck frozen and wet but in that instant fell in love with that river and still do today. It's one of the few rivers that in a couple day stretch test you mentally, physically and emotionally. You can go from hero to zero in an instant and vice versa. Ive felt like ive mastered an afternoon hatch only to humbled and feel like a complete novice that same evening. I have learned more about fly fishing and my own capabilities from fishing that area that past 11 years than anywhere else over my lifetime. I feel like it would take 2 lifetimes or more to ever master that area and that's what i love about it.

Tough call. Id say Scusett Beach Cape Cod Massachusetts. when Striped Bass are in thick. Second choice is a secret beaver pond loaded with 5-7 lb fish in Southern NH. 3Rd place Lehigh River in spring spawn for smallies.

Brad, That has to be one of the most profound angling pictures anywhere, anytime. Thanks for posting it. (So much for a dead drift)!!

Big Spring Creek.

I would have to think about this one for awhile........
;-)

Pa: Penns on an overcast day in mid April when the water is green and you catch flows in the low 400's.
For big fish: Henrys Fork between Ashton and Chester in late September/early October.
For sheer beauty and solitude:"The Meadows" on the West Boulder near Big Timber,Mt. Its a long hike, but breathtaking and cutty after cutty...

Sunrise on the Bitterroot. It simply doesn't get any better...............

Bitterroot-L.jpg

Easy wading, rising fish, and a wonderful house right on the river. This is our backyard.

After dark: The Bar at Trouthunter Lodge, Island Park,Idaho. Rich and John are great people and the setting overlooking the Henrys Fork, with the Tetons hovering in the distance is second to none...cant wait for the end of September,when i return.

the places i've yet to fish.

Tack-L-Tyer wrote:
Brad, That has to be one of the most profound angling pictures anywhere, anytime. Thanks for posting it. (So much for a dead drift)!!
I agree, that's an amazing pic. The way those waves were captured is really something.

Great thread....

Saltwater: Martha's Vineyard

Fresh: Somewhere in the Susquehanna drainage--there's too many to mention... but then again there is the big D, tough call!

Back