Easter Grass

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Just a little tying tip as the Easter season approaches. That "holographic" Easter grass that people stuff their baskets with is a GREAT substitute for flashback material. I've been using it for a few years now and basically have a lifetime supply from one bag of the stuff. I use it for nymphs and even wrap it on a few streamer patterns. I'll put a strip on either side of a bugger too to get the "flash" of a baitfish. Cheap and easy substitute.

Ryan

I like the way you think!

theres a few on here I think smoke easter grass, nice idea.

Very good thinking! Lets elaborate a little. Does anyone else use common things like this in their flies? and how?

sandfly wrote:

Takes one to know one, sir.

:pint:

I use cat fur on nymphs, rubber gloves and rubber bands on caddis

I use strips cut from sandwich bags for scud backs.

Very good idea on the Easter grass. Will have to keep some this year. Thanks

CHRISTMAS TINSEL!!!!

CHRISTMAS TINSEL!!!!

a brown plastic grocery bag would seem to be a good choice for nymph or scud backs as well.

The silvery gray antistatic bags that are used to ship electronic parts are supposed to make great scud backs. I have a few saved up for my next scud tying session.

gfen wrote:
sandfly wrote:

Takes one to know one, sir.

:pint:

LOL...Gfen, your a pisser.

I have my gear fishing buddies save me some of their old line when they replace it. It makes a great ribbing, especially when colored on the underside with a permanent marker.

John

Buddy of mine gets condoms from planned parenthood and uses them for tying.

I bet that spermicidal lube acts like an attractant! I've thought of cat/dog hair already. I stare at the cats and think, hmmm, I wonder if this would work. I have a cream and a blue dun cat, the calico doesn't shed much.

When I first started tying... the nymph called for the urine stained belly of a fox... like I had that in my cheap fly tying kit.... I looked over at my puppy... a red chow.... soft fluffy fur works still.... Ive tied it up alot for so many people and it works in so many place's...heck it even beat me out west and alaska and caught fish!

Please, sir, it must be the pee stained fur of a vixen, not just any ole fox.

If you're gonna make Hendricksons, you better use the right nonsense! Or, y'know, pink dubbing. :)

That stuff is great. Thats all I use. You can go to walmart after christmas too and get the holographic christmas tinsel too cheap.

Back