Does "Shelter-in-place" mean no going out to ffish?

The AT article is interesting, but in my experience it sounds most like the stretches closest to the Washington, DC metro area...southern Pa, MD, VA. Those stretches are a pain on any weekend due to the hiker traffic on the trail. Hardly a remote, get away from it all experience.

I never experienced heavy hiker traffic farther north in Pa except at one location, but perhaps things have changed or it is because of the nice weather recently. I tend to hike when it is cold, windy, and generally too nasty for the average urbanite/suburbanite.

While I have not used the trail for a few years other than about a three mile stretch that I use to get to hawk watching spots in the fall, none of the amenities described in the article exist in the stretches that I usually hike or hiked. The only other spots where I’vs seen people congregate are at the lookouts/views and in parking areas hanging out after a hike. I wonder whether people are still exhibiting that behavior in these circumstances....not the hiking, but the hanging out in groups, which would not be wise.

Comparing that with fishing, the only anglers I have a ever seen hanging out in parking lots after fishing have been fly anglers at special reg areas. Most others arrive at fishing locations, hurry out to fish, get back to the car, and leave immediately. They have places to go and things to do.

And then there is this:

https://www.railstotrails.org/trailblog/2020/march/19/staying-active-while-we-practice-social-distancing/

Notice in one of the paragraphs near the end that the common sense that comes from being scientific rather than emotional prevails re: the dilution factor.

Here is info from the FUDR about fishing the upper Delaware River >

On behalf of the FUDR Board of Directors and staff, we hope this note finds all of you safe and healthy during these difficult times.

We're writing to relay how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the Upper Delaware River region and to let you know that FUDR continues to push ahead with our work to protect and restore the river despite the difficulties posed by the spread of this virus.

As the 2020 UDR recreational season approaches, it's important to keep in mind what state and local authorities are saying about travel to the region. Both New York and Pennsylvania have issued orders for all non-essential businesses to close. This includes restaurants, bars, lodges, hotels, fly shops and guide services. Additionally, both states have urged residents to stay home and only travel for essential purposes.

Delaware County, NY has declared a State of Emergency and issued a directive discouraging travel into the county. County authorities remind people that many public services are under strain due to a reduced workforce in this rural setting and increased visitation in the coming months will further exacerbate that problem.

These orders are designed to protect both the health and safety of our local communities and the people that live in the UDR region as well as visitors who come to enjoy our area.

Please continue to monitor all virus related federal, state, and local government advisories and orders related to the Upper Delaware River and we will keep you updated if/when any new developments arise.

As noted above, the work to protect the river never stops, and FUDR staff continues to work every day (from our homes) on several important initiatives and projects.

Link to Source > http://web-extract.constantcontact.com/v1/social_annotation_v2?permalink_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fmyemail.constantcontact.com%2F-Update-on-COVID-19-Virus-and-Upper-Delaware-River-Recreational-Season.html%3Fsoid%3D1110504437966%26aid%3DAf6Wom2uYHs&image_url=https%3A%2F%2Fmlsvc01-prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fec8f83f8201%2F83ac8a37-d157-4ab1-a4ad-a7ff7fb0a138.jpg%3Fver%3D1585405693000&fbclid=IwAR2dBEAUJP5DDW7317pN6sKmFLchNzIYPunoYppsxNbQQjmDJ5ycRVvskCU

Coming to a state near you:

https://www.seattlepi.com/coronavirus/article/washington-state-closes-fishing-during-coronavirus-15162486.php

Bamboozle wrote:
Coming to a state near you:

https://www.seattlepi.com/coronavirus/article/washington-state-closes-fishing-during-coronavirus-15162486.php

Meanwhile Oregon has taken a more measured approach.

Oregon COVID-19 Response

I think saying "Coming to a state near you" is still a stretch although I think it was inevitable that we'd see that kind of harsh restriction imposed somewhere. I do expect to see more of what Oregon has done, which is far from a total closure. As I mentioned in previous posts, if authorities notice congregations of people, they will take action to disperse or eliminate those gatherings. So to all you idiots crowding parking lots on Spring or in Erie or wherever. Stop it. Go somewhere else.

Based on current knowledge, refraining from outdoor activities, particularly on sunny days, is counter intuitive and counter productive. Michael Z. Lin, PhD, MD of Stanford University noted the virus is 2-3x more sensitive to UV radiation than influenza virus.HERE (start at 18:30)

Doctors with direct experience treating patients in NYC hospitals are reporting face touching as the most significant way the virus is spread between people. As said for weeks, hand washing and sanitizing with 70-90% alcohol combined with not touching one's face is the most reliable way to avoid getting sick. Masks are worn my healthcare workers as much to prevent them touching their own faces as to prevent breathing infected droplets.

So, the wisdom of "an abundance of caution" goes from sublime to ridiculous when we are made to shelter in our homes and are barred from outdoor activities. Engaging in outdoor recreation while practicing the above mentioned hand and face measures is a very good way to avoid getting sick.

The big caveat is with crowded outdoor activities.

Per Afish on another thread.....the official Pa word on fishing

https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/fish-and-Boat-Commission-Details.aspx?newsid=313

That sounds reasonable. :)

I portend a real fustercluck come April 18. Especially in southeastern PA. This might be around the peak of the pandemic. I hope everyone doesn't risk exposure just for a few trout. This is serious stuff and I'm not sure everyone gets it.

Attempting to think from a positive angle here...I read the PFBC's recent presser on the status of Covid-19's impact on fishing in PA (copy on the homepage of PAFF), and think they did a pretty nice job with that. Subject to change of course as the situation does, but good they put that out there and gave anglers some clarification from an "official" perspective. Thumbs up.

On a lighter note, I found the part about a good rule of thumb for social distancing while fishing at least a bit humorous...to the small stream angler anyway...You should be able to extend your rod perpendicular from you and not be able to hit anyone. For anyone fishing small freestoners in the woods near me...My rod is 6 miles long, and so is yours...That's a compliment to both of us! :p

Comparing this site to various flyfishing facebook groups I've seen lately, people on this site are being smart & level headed about fishing/traveling during the pandemic. The level of arrogance & selfishness I've seen elsewhere is off the charts foolish. So many posts about the fear mongering media, "my" constitutional rights, Nobody tells me what to do I'm going fishing shut up, etc. is just beyond the pale & we're barely into this thing.

The smart people who act smart & conduct themselves smartly hold the best chance to get out of this pandemic with minimal casualty to their lives, those who continually act with arrogance as if 'they' are above the fray, maybe not so much.

I went out the other day and I was just waking along a stream and looking. I leaned against a tree and watched a long slow pool, looking for risers. It occurred to me that others probably do the same thing, leaning on the same tree. It's little things that are easy to overlook. Imagine some of these bridges etc. where the trout were just dumped in. People will be touching railings and bridge abutments etc. and there will be bound to be transmission.

D-nymph wrote:
Comparing this site to various flyfishing facebook groups I've seen lately, people on this site are being smart & level headed about fishing/traveling during the pandemic. The level of arrogance & selfishness I've seen elsewhere is off the charts foolish. So many posts about the fear mongering media, "my" constitutional rights, Nobody tells me what to do I'm going fishing shut up, etc. is just beyond the pale & we're barely into this thing.

The smart people who act smart & conduct themselves smartly hold the best chance to get out of this pandemic with minimal casualty to their lives, those who continually act with arrogance as if 'they' are above the fray, maybe not so much.

You learn a lot about the character of people during a crisis. And what you are seeing is a huge emphasis on self, by some people, with little to no regard for fellow human beings. You see this anytime you see a crowd gathering; there's simply no way those folks do not know what is going on, but apparently, they feel they are immune to calls for social distancing. Unfortunately, the people on the front lines (medical personnel) don't have the luxury of acting smart, and so innocent people will die, people who are going all out to save other people. Young people who are otherwise healthy are also succumbing. The media circus is the so-called celebrities who feel the need to post to their Instagram accounts that they have tested positive and are self-isolating (in their cushy homes).

The FFO section I was fishing was getting pretty crowded, so for myself, I decided that I'm done contributing to that crowd and if I go fishing, it will be to some less crowded streams. Virus issues aside, crowding on a stream contributes to irritated landowners, when the herd decides to park where they shouldn't, traipse through yards where they shouldn't and inevitably results in other undesirables, such as an increase in litter. I haven't yet seen anyone taking a leak or dump in a yard, like some stories from steelheading up Erie way generated, but I have a seen a couple of bippers that I wish I had not seen.

So to the OP question, the answer has two parts.

SIP does not mean no going out to fish, so the technical answer is yes, you may go out to fish. The practical answer is should you go out to fish? I can't answer that for anyone, but factors like your own health, age, how far you are traveling, what human interaction points you may have on the way to your fishing destination and while fishing - all of those should come into play when making an informed decision. In the end, it's ultimately risk management. Unfortunately, many in our society are unable or unwilling to make a reasoned assessment of risk, not only for themselves, but also how their actions may put others at risk.

i just got an email from the Maryland DCNR that basically says you can't fish unless your subsistence fishing. That's a bummer.

edhank wrote:
i just got an email from the Maryland DCNR that basically says you can't fish unless your subsistence fishing. That's a bummer.

If businesses are shut through April 30, in either PA or MD, we all might have to become subsistence fisherpeople out of necessity...

You may as well harvest them throughout May if you don’t start sooner than that, especially from the streams that get warm. There are lots that in any given year are too warm by the end of May for any significant extension of the stocked trout survival period.

salmonoid wrote:
If businesses are shut through April 30, in either PA or MD, we all might have to become subsistence fisherpeople out of necessity...

I pray that it doesn't come to this. People just need to listen to what the CDC says.

edhank wrote:
salmonoid wrote:

I pray that it doesn't come to this. People just need to listen to what the CDC says.

With 4 out of 5 Americans living paycheck to paycheck, I think we're already there...

Speaking of subsistence fishing, there is this: Fish Consumption

I love how they juxtapose "Fish Consumption Advisory Listing for 2020, by River Basin" with "Health Benefits of Eating Fish". :lol:

Fish: Enjoy responsibly.

Back