Does fly fishing skill diminish with age?

For all you visually challenged folks out there of which I am one, here in may lie the solution. I ll admit I'm not there yet.

View attachment 1641236377
Me neither but yes, I see the future on the horizon.... This is karma cause when I was younger, my father used to ask me to tie on his flies especially as the light started to fade. I used to mess with him about being old.

Getting old is not for the faint of heart.

For all you visually challenged folks out there of which I am one, here in may lie the solution. I ll admit I'm not there yet.

View attachment 1641236377

Tiger 👁️ - My eyes aren’t as good as they once were either, but I see that there’s an extra e in Parmachene. 😃

And by the way, that’s one of the most beautifully tied flies that you’re ever going to see.

Yes it is. Not my work, just pulled a Pic of a snelled fly off the internet. There are a bunch of beauties out there.

I agree with DomR. I quit wearing my contacts while fishing many years ago. I find it much easier just to remove my glasses. I can see clearly up close without any visual aid. I wear fit over sunglasses. I have a strap on my glasses so I do not drop them into the water.

Only if you let it! As many of you know I'm an octogenarian. I turn 81 in September. I can easily still tie winged #20 thorax duns, throw 50' of line sitting in my Hyde, row all day, and catch big trout.

Attachments

• IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 27
  • Resized_IMG_2366(1).jpeg
    Resized_IMG_2366(1).jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 25
Me neither but yes, I see the future on the horizon.... This is karma cause when I was younger, my father used to ask me to tie on his flies especially as the light started to fade. I used to mess with him about being old.

Getting old is not for the faint of heart.
This is very true! Our health can create obstacles to our fly fishing as we age. We just need to pray and keep the faith that we will be able to get out there.

Ha! I was just about to respond with the exact opposite: I do this crap pretty much constantly- it's really my only (healthy) hobby - and I still suck most of the time.

If you've been fishing at the level of, say, 3 times a year for 20 years, that's almost like just not doing it at all. Of course it's going to be hard.
I was very fortunate in my youth to spend every summer in Montana. From 1966 to 1972 I fished virtually every day for three months. Then for thirty years I spent at least 10 days in Montana fishing tail waters. I preferred fishing over working. I had a skill as a machinist to get a job every time I returned from my three month vacation.

This is very true! Our health can create obstacles to our fly fishing as we age. We just need to pray and keep the faith that we will be able to get out there.
Amen to that. I saw my parents, uncle, and best friend seemingly have their health go to hell almost overnight, all are now just in my memories. My SIL went from being perfectly fine to needing chemo in the span of a week. Life is fickle so you have to get out and live it.

I want to be like you and still fishing in my 80's :)

Some physical abilities have certainly diminished.
Mainly wading tough areas.
And seeing and tying small flies.

But I like to think that almost 45 years of experience leads me to where I can usually find rising fish

Some physical abilities have certainly diminished.
Mainly wading tough areas.
And seeing and tying small flies.

But I like to think that almost 45 years of experience leads me to where I can usually find rising fish
64 my skills are not diminished at all..Only thing diminished is enjoyable casting and fishing with arthritis in both hands , back and both feet. I am able to enjoy it for about a half day, then it turns to grinding.

Admittedly my days of being on the water for ten solid hours are just a memory. But I can still do six hours before I start to fade.

I can say that at 55 I can still do it most days. That said, I experience a couple more days a year where I know I am struggling a bit for whatever reasons.

Those days usually involve fishing the same morning I've made a long drive on less than optimal sleep. On some of those mornings I can start out slow and later hit a sweet spot before I start trailing off again.

I think it's a sign I need to start getting a room or get a young Mennonite girlfriend with a barn. Or just accept that it happens some days and just enjoy myself without worrying about living up to my own high expectations.

Is this why I see so many of you old farts not showing up until 11 AM to look for risers :unsure: Work smarter not harder?
Heck, 55 years old shouldn't even be in this conversation about aging effecting fly fishing. Most people don't retire until they are at least 61.

I will note that in my declining years the number of times that I get totally skunked are fewer. As a younger guy I was almost exclusively a dry fly man. Now I’ve added some nymphing skills which make me more versatile.

I will note that in my declining years the number of times that I get totally skunked are fewer. As a younger guy I was almost exclusively a dry fly man. Now I’ve added some nymphing skills which make me more versatile.

I often laugh with guys I fished with a long time about how inept we were as "yoots."

It's embarrassing to admit, but when I was kid fishing on heavily pressured SEPA stocked trout waters, I read too much and was so stupid, I assumed "Eastern PA" hatch charts pertained to Delco trout streams. :ROFLMAO:

As a result I actually expected Quill Gordon's, Hendrickson's & Sulphurs to appear on Ridley Creek and would often sit on the bank of the streams waiting for a hatch that never came... :poop:

Because I was such a moron, I figure I wasted 13,678 hours as a kid fly fisherman...

As a soon to be discarded old geezer fly angler I can catch a fish on Humpy with one hand tied behind my back, drunk and blindfolded in a minute and a half. :)

My self-criticism has been going down at the same rate as my abilities, so I'm okay. I'm happy to watch the world around me when I can't cast or wade like a hero.

Heck, 55 years old shouldn't even be in this conversation about aging effecting fly fishing. Most people don't retire until they are at least 61.
61, yeah right! Try 67 if we are lucky these days, Matt!

I often laugh with guys I fished with a long time about how inept we were as "yoots."

It's embarrassing to admit, but when I was kid fishing on heavily pressured SEPA stocked trout waters, I read too much and was so stupid, I assumed "Eastern PA" hatch charts pertained to Delco trout streams. :ROFLMAO:

As a result I actually expected Quill Gordon's, Hendrickson's & Sulphurs to appear on Ridley Creek and would often sit on the bank of the streams waiting for a hatch that never came... :poop:

Because I was such a moron, I figure I wasted 13,678 hours as a kid fly fisherman...

As a soon to be discarded old geezer fly angler I can catch a fish on Humpy with one hand tied behind my back, drunk and blindfolded in a minute and a half. :)

Oh, man. I've only been in the game ten years - caught my first panfish on a fly in May 2014 - and I am pretty much self-taught from the ol' internet. I didn't really have any mentors to speak of. I don't have to go back too far to get a healthy dose of embarrasment about what I didn't know. (Not to say that I'm some wordclass stick now...)

I guess the positive spin on that is that I'm still learning stuff all the time.

At 74, West Branch does motivate me to keep at it, though I haven't tied a fly smaller than size 18 for years, and I've never fished from a boat (unless you count the times my dad took me as a little kid for bass in a small pram -- I was less than 6 or 7 yrs. old). But, I do stumble around the creeks around here and will probably get in 90 or more outings this year, depending on the summer heat waves. My outings last about 2 hours (or less -- some evening hatch trips might last only a half-hour when the flies are late). Around here, they're pretty much done now. I occasionally catch and release a big trout, but not as often as WB does.

However, as I mentioned before, I cannot do a lot of the things I once did b/c of being old. The "golden years" can kills my ---.

I'm pushing 70 now
But I'll still fish all day - if the fish are rising, of course.
No problem there

I've also - grudgingly - started using a wading staff the last few years....

The fourth stage of a fisherman’s life is when you care less about your own skills, and whether you can catch a fish, catch the most fish, the biggest fish, or the hardest fish to catch. The fourth stage is when you begin to share your knowledge with others so that they can experience the joys that come from fishing.
Good point. I think I am there. I spend a lot of time with my nephews and their friends just showing them a few of the things I have learned over the years. I do not worry too much if I don't catch a fish anymore. I can also just be content rowing others in my boat all day or just walking a stream and looking for risers and if there are none then I will just observe the birds . . .

Back