Does fly fishing skill diminish with age?

Like a baseball player who steps up to the plate without taking batting practice, the same is true with fly fishing. When you don’t keep the skills up, your timing is off. Don’t fish for six months, step back in the water, and see how it affects you. When I’m fishing a good bit, I find my tightline game is “on-point”. When I haven’t fished for a few months, I feel like it takes a while to get my timing back.

I’m 52, and the above are observations from the past decade or so. Without a doubt as we age we have to keep our fine motor skills sharp through practice and repetition. At the end of the day, all we can do is keep after it and do the best with what we are given. It sure beats the alternative!

I don’t have the experience a lot here have but I’d think barring injury or health issues that knowledge and experience offset the deterioration of physical ability, eyesight etc. as long as you keep at it.

My concern with aging is how I fish. Most of my trout fishing incorporates a lot of hiking to get to those out of the way places. Last weekend my son and I hit 2 streams in 2 days in the ANF and put on over 45,000 steps over those 2 days - up and down banks, over rocks and downed trees and avoiding twisted ankles in high grass.

I’m 52 and in pretty good shape but know that at some point that type of fishing isn’t going to happen anymore and I was thinking about that last weekend. I guess part of gaining experience is knowing that time is fleeting and taking in and enjoying your time out there while you can still do it is just as important as making a good cast or getting that perfect drift.

It is possible to work on balance away from the stream. There are exercises and/or cheap, simple pieces of equipment that can be incorporated at home for this. My wife just landed one (balance, agility equipment) at a rummage sale for a very few bucks and it’s similar in concept to one I used in PT a decade ago for a work-related partial meniscal tear.

As for stamina, that’s probably not what one gains from fishing unless one does those long walking/hiking days of fishing, but that’s probably not what avg anglers are doing. Less fishing and more exercise (or continuing to exercise throughout life), particularly leg strengthening exercise or activity, may be the key to a longer life of wading streams.

Last edited:
At 74 unfortunately I’ve lost more than a step or two. It takes me longer to rig up. My eyes ,even using magnifying lenses, make knot tying and fly threading a daunting task. My hands shake which impacts knot tying and changing flies. Even with a wading staff I usually fall at least once on each outing. Obviously long hikes on rough terrain must be planned carefully. Tying flies takes more time. Casting is less accurate and fades when fatigue sets in. Is this diminished skill or reduced performance? Not sure. I am told that Joe Humphries is still a great threat to Trout well into his nineties. I hope to be posting on this site 20 years from today to tell about another successful outing.

Turned 71 yesterday and fished a heavily pressured stream. Chose it based on flow and water temp, as well as probable availability of trout. Took one silly fall due to lack of focus but no damage to me or equipment. More of a "glad no one saw it."Obviously your wading prowess and stamina are going to decline but planning and experience can certainly help. Studded boot and a staff are a must now. On a tough day (bright and sunny with no hatches) managed to bring 10 fish to hand a lost a few more. Better than some days years earlier. Most important was and being able to enjoy my surroundings and realize how fortunate I am to be able to do so. Cancer and a major surgery can certainly change ones perspective.

Last edited:
The recent photos of some gorgeous fish by WestBranch should answer your question. Learn to adjust and you can flyfish well into the future as you age....

I catch as many fish, but I don't fish as long. I can only get 5 consistent hours in a a time now.

It’s been said there are 3 stages in a fisherman’s life. These stages may also relate in part to your fishing skill.

In the first stage you just want to have the skill catch a fish. In the second phase you want to catch the most fish, and in the third stage you want to have the skill to get the largest and most difficult fish to catch.

It’s possible that these phases in a fisherman’s life overlap, and some fishermen by choice or chance may never move from one stage to another as they age.

I believe, however, that there are actually 4 stages in a fisherman’s life. The fourth stage is independent of one’s age or skill level, it is the most satisfying stage of all, and the one by which we’ll be best remembered after we’re gone.

The fourth stage of a fisherman’s life is when you care less about your own skills, and whether you can catch a fish, catch the most fish, the biggest fish, or the hardest fish to catch. The fourth stage is when you begin to share your knowledge with others so that they can experience the joys that come from fishing.

Prior to the time I retired, I fished both far and often, mostly for myself. I was reasonably skilled, caught a lot of fish, including ones that were big, and others that were hard to fool. After I retired, I gradually transitioned from fishing mainly for myself, to where I was mainly taking other people fishing. I know my own casting and wading skills lessened over those years, but my knowledge of where the fish were located and my interest in helping others increased. I got a lot more enjoyment from helping others catch fish than I ever did from fishing mainly for myself.

Along those lines, I just read this on another fly fishing forum that I’m a member on. I think you’ll agree that reading how this guy helped others by sharing his skills with them will also make you feel good.

It’s been said there are 3 stages in a fisherman’s life. These stages may also relate in part to your fishing skill.

In the first stage you just want to have the skill catch a fish. In the second phase you want to catch the most fish, and in the third stage you want to have the skill to get the largest and most difficult fish to catch.

It’s possible that these phases in a fisherman’s life overlap, and some fishermen by choice or chance may never move from one stage to another as they age.

I believe, however, that there are actually 4 stages in a fisherman’s life. The fourth stage is independent of one’s age or skill level, it is the most satisfying stage of all, and the one by which we’ll be best remembered after we’re gone.

The fourth stage of a fisherman’s life is when you care less about your own skills, and whether you can catch a fish, catch the most fish, the biggest fish, or the hardest fish to catch. The fourth stage is when you begin to share your knowledge with others so that they can experience the joys that come from fishing.

Prior to the time I retired, I fished both far and often, mostly for myself. I was reasonably skilled, caught a lot of fish, including ones that were big, and others that were hard to fool. After I retired, I gradually transitioned from fishing mainly for myself, to where I was mainly taking other people fishing. I know my own casting and wading skills lessened over those years, but my knowledge of where the fish were located and my interest in helping others increased. I got a lot more enjoyment from helping others catch fish than I ever did from fishing mainly for myself.

Along those lines, I just read this on another fly fishing forum that I’m a member on. I think you’ll agree that reading how this guy helped others by sharing his skills with them will also make you feel good.

Bravo!. Well said. I still fish alone (though my family thinks that I'm nuts) but like to show friends, old and new a few spots and tricks. BTW when I'm fishing solo, off the grid I usually send my son a Google Maps pin so that they have less difficulty recovering the body. 😁

Last edited:
I’m 71, will be 72 in November. I’ve been trout fishing since I was 24 and exclusively fly fishing and tying my own flies for 31 years. Yes, physically I’m wearing out but I’ve always been physically active and so am in much better shape than most my age. Experience wise, I’m much sharper than when I started fly fishing. I have fished and still fish a lot of limestone streams and I believe this has made me a better fly fisherman. I am always tying new patterns. With sulphur patterns, I carry four different styles of emergers, three or four nymph patterns and four different dun patterns and a couple spinner patterns. Sometimes you have to show the fish something different. I fished Yellow Creek in Bedford County last Saturday. We arrived late in the morning and missed a BWO hatch. Two weeks before, I had great success with an articulated Green Drake nymph but no takers this day. Switched to a Sulphur emerger pattern and caught two right away. Things slowed down and I switched to one of my go to flies, a pale yellow honey bug. Caught two right away. My buddy later caught one on a green weenie. Experience has taught me that sometimes the fish just aren’t going to hit. It helps knowing what insects, if any, are present in a stream. Again though, after throwing everything at them and nothing works, time to call it a day. I’ve been fortunate to have caught many fish over the years so even a day of catching one or none is not a big deal. It’s nice to still be able to get out and spend the day with a good friend.

I'm 70 and I think my skills are still good. I catch plenty of fish, know more techniques and can finally double haul without thinking much. I fish Lehigh Valley limestoners and upper Delaware system which keeps me sharp. My pool of buddies keeps me clued into new techniques and flies. However, the body isn't what it used to be. Between eyesight and poorer hand motor skills I think it takes me 20 minutes to tie a fly on. That is the most frustrating thing. A size 6 hook looks like a size 22 did when I was 40. I'm OK on balance, but don't wade quite as well as I did. Have to go slower, but still manage wading around the rocks in pocket water. Still hike in more than many younger guys, but there are walk-in places, like Neversink Gorge, where I will no longer fish alone.

That said, I exercise nearly every day with swimming, weights, balance exercises, yoga, and pickle ball. Need to keep in shape. Also, easy to lose muscle mass as one ages. Need weights and cardio. 6 years ago I had knee problems. Then I started working out on the knee machines and I haven't had a problem since.

Finally, I don't have the stamina - but on the good side don't feel driven as much to fish. A few good fish and I am generally happy. I can go out an hour or two, catch some fish and be happy. I almost never miss a nice lunch or dinner break. The fishing has to be fabulous to miss lunch. I'm still a bit competitive. I hate when people say I got skunked but had a great day. When I have a rod in my hand I want to touch a fish or two. If I only wanted to be outside I could take a walk.

Bunch of old farts around here.....I should probably pay closer attention to what you all say.

At 73, I can say my catch rate has dropped considerably. Mostly because of my eyesight getting worse but also stamina not there. Can't change flies as often as I used to and anything smaller than a 16 is out for me. I might add, not being able to drive at night is a big factor as I have to be off the road when I should be fishing.

Westbranch's latest tank of a rainbow makes me say no.

At age 66, I do not believe my skills as a fly fisher have diminished. My wading skills are another story entirely.

The stronger my glasses prescription gets the worse my knot tying skills get. I now need to find a comfy log to sit on when adding tippet.
100% agree, the better the doctor dialed in my prescription for distance the worse my knot tying has become when I have to do it on the stream. Cheaters help but I have total difficulty with depth perception, low light, and background. I'm probably going to have to switch from Maxima Chameleon to clear mono so I get some extra resolution. I'm also considering going from contacts to glasses when I fish so then I can just flip them up.

For all you visually challenged folks out there of which I am one, here in may lie the solution. I ll admit I'm not there yet.

Parmacheene belle 002

For all you visually challenged folks out there of which I am one, here in may lie the solution. I ll admit I'm not there yet.

View attachment 1641236377
That’s exactly how we set up our sz 4-6 night flies. Makes it easy to switch flies. The night leaders already have pre-tied loops on them to receive and easily attach the snelled wet flies.

Back