Does fly fishing skill diminish with age?

mkile

mkile

I want to say no, you become more skillful as you experience more. That was my belief when i started fly fishing in my 20's. But i'm currently experiencing the opposite. Even when I was new to fly fishing, my general fishing knowledge resulted in limited success, which improved over time. But, now after 23 years of limited fishing trips due to kids and life, I leave the stream feeling further behind then I did the first day I started swinging a flyrod.
The fish and the bugs don't change but I guess the grey matter is slipping. With only one child currently at home and much more time on my hands, I looked forward to time in the stream. That hasn't worked out as planned. Color me frustrated.

I want to say no, you become more skillful as you experience more. That was my belief when i started fly fishing in my 20's. But i'm currently experiencing the opposite. Even when I was new to fly fishing, my general fishing knowledge resulted in limited success, which improved over time. But, now after 23 years of limited fishing trips due to kids and life, I leave the stream feeling further behind then I did the first day I started swinging a flyrod.
The fish and the bugs don't change but I guess the grey matter is slipping. With only one child currently at home and much more time on my hands, I looked forward to time in the stream. That hasn't worked out as planned. Color me frustrated.

Yes, the fine motors skills associated with fly fishing will diminish with age. I doubt that that is your problem in your 40's if my math is correct.

Please tell us more about the waters you are fishing, your methods, your results and your expectations.

Over time you will lose stamina, fine motor skill, and quick recall. However, that should balance with increased experience to make your effectiveness on the water stay good for a while.

Depending on where you are fishing, the fish are likely more pressured than they were 20 years ago- and possibly a LOT more pressured. Learning new drag minimization and reaction time improving techniques like contact nymphing, fishing much smaller flies and longer/thinner leaders, fishing more emergers and surface flush patterns on top, and approaching waters in low light conditions are often necessary to have success in waters that even 5-10 years ago gave up fish fairly easily. A lot more hammerd*ck fly bros out there since Covid and the fish are definitely smarter bc of it.

At 74, my answer is "yes," for many of the reasons stated above.

Define "skill..."

If skill is measured by dexterity, vision, flexibility, stamina, strength, the willingness to do stupid things to catch a fish, memory and the ability to hold it in longer...

Then most would probably say yes...

If skill is measured making the most of your opportunities because of your knowledge and experience then I would say no...

Like a Grand Master in the martial arts, your physical prowess will wane but your depth of knowledge of the art and ability to capitalize on it increases. It all becomes simpler.

Fly fishing for trout is not all that physically demanding. Provided good health we can all participate until later years of life.

Like a Grand Master in the martial arts, your physical prowess will wane but your depth of knowledge of the art and ability to capitalize on it increases. It all becomes simpler.

Fly fishing for trout is not all that physically demanding. Provided good health we can all participate until later years of life.

When in doubt, fish a grasshopper...

Grasshopper... ;)

Grasshopper

There is a lot that could be said about this topic, but one of the things that stands out in my mind is that it is important to allocate sufficient time to complete the tasks that used to only take a moment, but now take a bit longer. For example, more than once in the last few years, I have arrived on stream and went and sat on a log to tie my first fly choice on. And more than once, I've found myself in a situation where by the time I get the d**& thing tied on, it is almost time to go home..:) So, as we get older, we need to plan our time more wisely...

I don't know that I would say fly fishing SKILL diminishes with age....what I've found is that certain fly fishing ABILITIES diminishes. I'm still the same caster, same at reading water, presenting a fly ,fighting fish etc etc.
What's gone downhill for me even at the tender age of 52 and being pretty athletic is the nuts and bolts stuff.......my ability to see like I once could.....my ability to wade like a 20yr old water buffalo, my ability to stand up straight after 8hrs of 'The crouch" , my ability to recover from a long day! You guys still cranking in your 70's and over!? I have the utmost respect for those that have been doing it longer than I have.
Old guys are cool. They know stuff.
I'll be there soon enough.
Hell I'm making a doctor appointment next week for an unhealed right elbow injury from casting all day to steelhead in April!! Seriously. I injured my arm fly fishing.....not lifting bags of cement, not running a chainsaw or fighting a grizzly bear......FLYFISHING!!
SIGH.
THAT's what's changed for me. The check engine light has come on.

Yes but it goes unnoticed since there is very little skill involved in fly fishing. Hate to break it to everybody, but it’s just not that difficult.

Ha! I was just about to respond with the exact opposite: I do this crap pretty much constantly- it's really my only (healthy) hobby - and I still suck most of the time.

If you've been fishing at the level of, say, 3 times a year for 20 years, that's almost like just not doing it at all. Of course it's going to be hard.

Yes but it goes unnoticed since there is very little skill involved in fly fishing. Hate to break it to everybody, but it’s just not that difficult.
Its simple but its not easy.

Spend a day guiding a non fly fisherman. You soon understand how much we take for granted. Teaching makes us better flyfishers. 😁

I believe everything other nose and ear hair declines with age.

I cast just as well or better. I don't work as hard at it so I was probably better once. Wading. Wading gets harder. I started using easy knots cuz my eyes got worse. Continued cuz the knots worked.

IBut, now after 23 years of limited fishing trips due to kids and life, I leave the stream feeling further behind then I did the first day I started swinging a flyrod.
How limited is limited?

20 outings a year? 10? 5? 2?

Nothing replaces time on the water and variety of experience. That requires actually going fishing... ...a lot.

You also need to prioritize learning over "avoiding the skunk." A day spent someplace new, trying something new is better than pounding away at the same old spots, with the same old tactics, eeking out a couple fish just to say you didn't get skunked.

Failing that, save your days and blow them all in one go on a multi day trip with a guide. You'll be more likely to have successful, enjoyable days and you'll have a coach.

I can say that at 55 I can still do it most days. That said, I experience a couple more days a year where I know I am struggling a bit for whatever reasons.

Those days usually involve fishing the same morning I've made a long drive on less than optimal sleep. On some of those mornings I can start out slow and later hit a sweet spot before I start trailing off again.

I think it's a sign I need to start getting a room or get a young Mennonite girlfriend with a barn. Or just accept that it happens some days and just enjoy myself without worrying about living up to my own high expectations.

Is this why I see so many of you old farts not showing up until 11 AM to look for risers :unsure: Work smarter not harder?

Back