Days of Yore Photos

Here's another grainy out of focus photo, this one of an old fishing partner/musical pal of mine passed out on a rock in the middle of Bushkill Creek in the OLD FFO section in Tatamy in the late 1970's/early 1980's.

The evening prior we had been up half the night jamming and drinking so midday naps were often taken wherever... ;)

View attachment 1641228685
HA! I've taken that same hangover nap on the big rocks above Cairn's Pool on the Beaverkill

What I learned from all of these pictures is a lot of you guys have a strong mustache game. If I let mine go for about 3 weeks, I still couldn't get a better stash than a 15 yr old Honduran kid 🤣

You nailed it Matt! I was fishing in barnhart's pool when I first met him. The water was up a little bit and I was desperately trying to reach a feeder on the far bank. I heard a little bit of noise and turned around and it was Art and the Rockefellers lawyer sitting on a log right behind me. I apologize if I had gotten close to them with a back cast. "We were just admiring your casting young man, carry on". I told him that I couldn't reach the fish and remember seeing him on the cover of fly fisherman so I figured he could 😂. I ended up chatting with him for a bit, meeting him at Raimondo's for a pizza lunch, planting a magnolia bush at the corner of his driveway and hanging out in his kitchen. It's somehow morphed into me meeting him and Galen to go fish. We'd load all the gear into the back of the old station wagon he had and drive down along the beaverkill from pool to pool. A stop at Carins was a guarantee. The section you're talking about near the gauge has changed dramatically as you know. I always called it the dump pool because everybody would go down the gravel road and dump their trash on that Hill including dead deer, televisions, mattresses and whatever else. You are 100% spot on that we used to access it right about the riff. The big flat Rock on the far bank had to be showing above the river surface in order to cross. We'd fish the main pool and then he started giving up more secrets. One night he had me go to the tailout and stand in knee deep water. He told me to stand there and wait. After about an hour, I yelled over nothing's happening should I come in? He told me to watch to my right I would start to see the pods of fish move up out of that riffle. They were feeding in a pack and moving up river. I was told it was one shot and to wait until the fish was directly in front of me. 4X, Rusty spinner, one cast and my backing was flying out the guys is that fish went back to the fast water. Never saw it and no idea how big it was but he told me that he had caught one nearly 12 lb on a sulfur spinner there last season. That used to be a very narrow and deep section of fast water which has since spread out and no longer holds those kind of fish. The bottom route 17 bridge at the rest area all the way down to the Fishes Eddy bridge changes every ice out. Huge gravel bars move, Islands relocate and channels disappear every winter. I've never seen a place that changes as much as that specific section. The first time through it every year is going in blind and has almost resulted in a flipped boat several times 🤣.

Art tied a leader for me one time that was 25-26'. I said I couldn't cast something like that but he told me it was easier to keep 20 ft of leader in the air than it was to keep 20 ft of line in the air. I just had to check the cast at the end and it would turn over fine. He was correct and I still use a pretty long leader from time to time up there.

I remember staying in the cabin right next to yours when that elderly lady owned it. I would set up a video camera on the porch and just filmed the pool while I fished. Fish from 6:30 or 7:00 a.m. until noon, grab lunch at circle e and right back at it until dark. You'd see 1 or 2 guide boats and that was it. One of my last times through that pool was with my nephew and we were in pontoons during prime time. As we turned the corner into Methodist, six or seven drift boats were anchored, three or four pontoons were anchored and there had to be 15 to 18 wade fisherman. We signaled that we were going behind everybody and headed right for the takeout. It's really changed but if you know how to play the game, you can still have some peace and quiet.
Andy,

Thanks for sharing your memories of Art and the changes on the WB. I never saw a drift boat on any of the rivers before 1985. When I bought my cabin in 1996 there were still many places I could go wade fish and not see another angler all day. I'm situated in a good spot. There is only space for two cars at the Methodist area. 95% of the guys always go up river, away from my house, I think because my pool water is so flat that it intimidates a lot of guys. If I get out of bed early enough I can get on the water by 9:00 and not see a drift boat until 2:00 p.m.

Did you ever experience catching any of those BIG weakfish that used to be in the Delaware Bay every summer back then? I'm talking weakies up to 12lbs. They just don't exist any more.
I remember catching plenty of weakfish in the 1970s. This article says the weakies may have declined because of increasing dolphin populations. I have had a jetski in Wildwood/CapeMay for a long time and I would agree that there are definitely WAY more dolphins than ever.

I remember catching plenty of weakfish in the 1970s. This article says the weakies may have declined because of increasing dolphin populations. I have had a jetski in Wildwood/CapeMay for a long time and I would agree that there are definitely WAY more dolphins than ever.

This could well be a contributing factor, but I've also read that overharvest played a major role in their disappearance.

This could well be a contributing factor, but I've also read that overharvest played a major role in their disappearance.
Dear wildtrout,

Coolers filled with 200 #'s of weakies heading back to Philly did the damage. It's not even worth considering an alternative reason. They are gone because they got ate!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear wildtrout,

I do want to add that netting millions of pounds of bunker to grind into pills to make old people feel smarter or more virile didn't help either.

People will never get it, I'm certain of that.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back when I was an angler .

Attachments

• 84A2332F-9AF0-4E35-ABEC-A7D7A635D16C.jpeg
    84A2332F-9AF0-4E35-ABEC-A7D7A635D16C.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 53
Back when I was an angler .
Yo Gator,

The famous bag o' bass. We always kicked azz at that hump upstream from the Nichols NY launch. Never a bad day ever. Even that day when we drifted way downstream and you and Lil' Junie fell down when we hit a rock!

Thanks for posting this, bro! Now I don't have to look for the picture!

Regards,

Goobiewan :)

Yo Gator,

The famous bag o' bass. We always kicked azz at that hump upstream from the Nichols NY launch. Never a bad day ever. Even that day when we drifted way downstream and you and Lil' Junie fell down when we hit a rock!

Thanks for posting this, bro! Now I don't have to look for the picture!

Regards,

Goobiewan :)

That stretch of river was full of some apex predators.

I remember catching 70 weakfish one night as a kid off subset beach jettys in capemay. Bubble gum 3.5” finesse minow 5a-8-p all black finesse minow after that. Some of my best memories. Seeing 5-8lb weakfish on the end of your line was no rarity.

Ive heard a number of things which unsure are true or not. Harvest, netting in carolinas for cat food, bunker decline’s causing striped bass to shift over to predation on weakfish.

the tide runners would show up in cape may every year in the first week of may. Its sad that their ghosts/incidental surprise infrequent catches now. What a shame i stopped going down there or even calling Jimbos bait and tackle in cape may to check if they showed up in a meaningful Way

Apparently this has been studied and est. 95% of weakfish mortality is natural(not fishing related). An acoustic tag study showed dismal numbers are returning from off shore to spawn each spring after they head way out there in sept(NJ). The likely culprit for crashing the weakfish is likely at least in part bottle nose dolphins.

Anyone miss this saying....
Hang on, I have to change the flash clube, it didn't go off.

Yes, voice to text gave me clube instead of cube. If this is changed to a "go eagles" thread, I'm headed back to the brook trout thread.... it will be less annoying for sure 😁.

My mom and dad used to pack up the old car and take our family camping when I was really young. Sometimes we took our fishing gear, and other times we just went ”wherever”.

230B29A1 EC6B 427E 86CF A04309ABCC7C

P.S. I may be old, but not that old, and that isn’t my family in this picture circa. 1920. I came across it when I was looking on the internet for an awning to put my Subaru‘s roof rack when I go fishing/camping. Pretty neat setup they had.

My mom and dad used to pack up the old car and take our family camping when I was really young. Sometimes we took our fishing gear, and other times we just went ”wherever”.

View attachment 1641228712

P.S. I may be old, but not that old, and that isn’t my family in this picture circa. 1920. I came across it when I was looking on the internet for an awning to put my Subaru‘s roof rack when I go fishing/camping. Pretty neat setup they had.
Now that's a cool picture! Much simpler times. Thanks for sharing it.

There's a website called "Views Of The Past" (Google it) that has many old pics like that. It has different categories with associated pics. Like railroads, lumbering, fishing, buildings, ect.

Last edited:
i was at my mom's looking through albums and I remembered this thread. I am sorry the pictures are not great.

Attachments

• IMG_2349.jpeg
    IMG_2349.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2354.jpeg
    IMG_2354.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2369 2.jpeg
    IMG_2369 2.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2359.jpeg
    IMG_2359.jpeg