Days of Yore Photos

Northwest Territories trip for Artic Char back in 1979.
Me on the far left & Chip Gibson on the far right. He was the owner of Chip's Bait & Tackle in West Chester for many years.

Attachments

• img260.jpg
    img260.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 37
  • img253.jpg
    img253.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 38
I made the Philadelphia Inquirer on Opening Day circa 1980/81? We were pissed because we were caught fishing from the bridge while waiting for my dad, looking like jamokes, not the pros we thought we were. I miss that hat....

Wissa_Ward%2B2.jpg

I made the Philadelphia Inquirer on Opening Day circa 1980/81? We were pissed because we were caught fishing from the bridge while waiting for my dad, looking like jamokes, not the pros we thought we were. I miss that hat....

Wissa_Ward%2B2.jpg
As soon as I saw that stone bridge I thought of the "Wissy". Then I read the caption. :)

I thought the one on the left was Hunter S. Thompson with a 'stache!
The guy on the left with a cigarette dangling from his mouth is yours truly...
Here is another cool picture - Me in the middle and Mr. Joe Brooks on my left. He was my idol and I met him on Armstrong Spring Creek.

Attachments

• Matt & Joe Brooks.jpg
    Matt & Joe Brooks.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 49
Indeed. I think the one I was wearing was what they called a wool crusher? Drop it in the creek, let it dry, and it would get its shape back. Hot look for a 12 year old.
The hat I'd love to find is one of the old fedora style hats that were made for "working men" by companies like Carhartt & Dickies. It was the hat worn by just about every gardener or outdoors person in the 1940- 1960's and the kind of hat worn by Hank Kimble on Green Acres. ;)

The came in tan & green to match the twill work clothes they made. The hats had ventilation holes in them too. I think they would make a great fishing hat but the work clothes companies only sell ball caps these days. :(

Art Lee I presume??

Yes. Lost 2 jobs that year because of constantly calling off to fish with Art and Galen. Wouldn't have changed a thing knowing what I know now 😁

This was from the third weekend of April of 1986 or 87. On the Meshoppen Creek. I might have been at the Slumber Valley Campground. I'm the handsome dude with the felt camo hat on the left. That day was memorable because of the massive hatch that lasted all weekend. There were swarms of egg laying bugs that looked exactly like a female adams fly. I was so green that I'm not sure if it was a mayfly or caddis. All we knew was that the hungry stocked trout could not get enough of them or our flies either. We caught fish on almost every cast. Neither of the other two guys had ever seen a hatch.

As we drove down to the creek I was trying to explain to them what a "hatch" was. We walked to the stream and I was amazed. I pointed and said. "that's a hatch! Get your rods."

Attachments

• fishingtrip.jpg
    fishingtrip.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
I'm really enjoying the pics being shared, I hope others are as well. I like checking out the fashions of the time. Thanks folks.

This was from the third weekend of April of 1986 or 87. On the Meshoppen Creek. I might have been at the Slumber Valley Campground. I'm the handsome dude with the felt camo hat on the left. That day was memorable because of the massive hatch that lasted all weekend. There were swarms of egg laying bugs that looked exactly like a female adams fly. I was so green that I'm not sure if it was a mayfly or caddis. All we knew was that the hungry stocked trout could not get enough of them or our flies either. We caught fish on almost every cast. Neither of the other two guys had ever seen a hatch.

As we drove down to the creek I was trying to explain to them what a "hatch" was. We walked to the stream and I was amazed. I pointed and said. "that's a hatch! Get your rods."

Is that Lt. Dangle from Reno 911 in the middle? 🤣

Dear Board,

A digital copy of an old film picture taken on the West Branch of the Delaware by our good friend Bob Sentiwany from the AA Pro Shop in White Haven May 1988 or 1989. From left to right, my brother Gator, my brother Peahead, and me Goobiwan. ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Attachments

• IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 53
What years?
1965 to 1967. I made my very first trip to Montana in 1967. I drove a 1966 Pontiac GTO. The speed limit said something to the effect "Drive prudently". Once I was on I-90 driving west and going around 85 mph. A state policeman passed me at about 100 mph and didn't bat an eye at my speed. I was 23 years old. I spent a month out there sleeping in a rtent every night.

I was in Livingston and went into Dan Bailey's fly shop. He came right over to me and asked how he could help me. I told him I wanted to dry fly fish on flat water with small flies. He directed me to Armstrong Spring Creek and that is where my love affair with springs was born.

Attachments

• Spring Head (2).jpg
    Spring Head (2).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Close-up of the spring.jpg
    Close-up of the spring.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Looking up towards Spring.jpg
    Looking up towards Spring.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 45
Look at that goofy duck bill hat, clip on sunglasses and short sleeve tee shirt I was wearing on that warm June morning when I caught this 25” brown on the Beaverkill back in the late 1970’s. Fishing was good, before the madding crowds of fishermen descended to overthrow the relative solitude of the upper Delaware and its tributaries. You should have been there then.

View attachment 1641228628
I was. My first trip to the Beaverkill was July 05, 1965

Back