Days of Yore Photos

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

I thought it might be neat to see some of the old/older photos that we might have from fishing days gone by. This is a pic of two of my fishing buddies and me (on the left) back in the early 70's. We were fishing Adams Creek in Pike county. I have to be honest, we/I kept some trout back then. Didn't know any better. My buddy (on the right) got that wild brown mounted. Sadly, he passed away last year.

Back then, Adams was loaded with many wild browns and a good number of natives as well. I fished the lower section for a short distance about 6 or 7 years ago, but it wasn't nearly what it used to be. Hoping to see some old pics from other forum members.

Attachments

• IMG_2392.JPEG
    IMG_2392.JPEG
    185.5 KB · Views: 194
@wildtrout2 that's a sweet photo, the quality is so good I thought it was a modern photo of your grandkids before I read the description. You guys looked like astute anglers, absolute units. Sorry to hear a good friend has passed but that photo is a good way to remember him and the good times you guys had.

@wildtrout2 that's a sweet photo, the quality is so good I thought it was a modern photo of your grandkids before I read the description. You guys looked like astute anglers, absolute units. Sorry to hear a good friend has passed but that photo is a good way to remember him and the good times you guys had.
Thank you. The reason such an old photo has that quality is because the fellow who took it had the best equipment of the time. It was taken with a high end Canon camera. He always had the best, because he was an only child and his mom was quite well to do.

That pic was just recently given to me by my buddy's dad, who I visit regularly. He's 89 years old, and I know his time left is short. Such great memories. I really love that picture. Again, thank you.

Last edited:
This is a cool thread. Here are a couple I scanned from old prints.
#1 - around 23
#2 - around 25

Attachments

• 21 inch rainbow on #14 Adams.jpg
    21 inch rainbow on #14 Adams.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 102
  • The Three Amigos.jpg
    The Three Amigos.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 100
There are plenty of old guys on here.

But a lot of old guys aren't good with photos on the internet, or have paper photos or old slides.

Great to see some old pics. Some old film from the 60s was found after a member of my hunting camp passed away. Another member recently had the clips from 1964 hunting season compiled into a video. Was very neat to see how different the forest was and of course there were some bloopers of camp shenanigans.

If you have old paper photos you want to post, but don’t want to scan them, you can just take a picture of the photo with your phone and the quality is usually pretty good.

Me on first day of trout season in mid 70s on Kettle Creek where Hammersley dumps in. It was an 18 1/2” brown. A few hours after this photo was taken we were fishing far downstream and there were reports of “a young kid catching a 22” brown at Hammersley shortly after 8am”. Grew about a 1/2” per hour
CE4C2737 53F1 44D5 B92B DA694F88A43C

On my honeymoon in the late 80s, I was fishing the Gibbon River in Yellowstone. My wife had pulled out the camera to photograph the nice bull elk over my shoulder and right then I caught a brown. Focusing those older cameras was not her strong suit.
09CB83E2 DA11 4BBE 8CB3 2BECB4DC98FD

My father was fishing the first meadow on Slough Creek in the early 90s in Yellowstone. The 18-20 inchers liked the large Crowe Beetles we threw in that wind.
5E345E0E 724C 494D 97CA 013CE98D4DD6

Last edited:
Look at that goofy duck bill hat, clip on sunglasses and short sleeve tee shirt I was wearing on that warm June morning when I caught this 25” brown on the Beaverkill back in the late 1970’s. Fishing was good, before the madding crowds of fishermen descended to overthrow the relative solitude of the upper Delaware and its tributaries. You should have been there then.

9DD5ED25 E6D2 4345 A0B1 346286050F40

Look at that goofy duck bill hat, clip on sunglasses and short sleeve tee shirt I was wearing on that warm June morning when I caught this 25” brown on the Beaverkill back in the late 1970’s. Fishing was good, before the madding crowds of fishermen descended to overthrow the relative solitude of the upper Delaware and its tributaries. You should have been there then.

View attachment 1641228628
I was there in the 70's. quiet fishing then

View attachment 1641228628
That fish looks every bit of 25". It looks extremely long compared to most trout people tell you are over 20". I've never been to the Catskills or upper D, so yeah, I bet it would have been nice back then.

If you have old paper photos you want to post, but don’t want to scan them, you can just take a picture of the photo with your phone and the quality is usually pretty good.
Thanks for mentioning this, that's exactly what I did.
Some really neat pics getting posted.

Last edited:
Me on first day of trout season in mid 70s on Kettle Creek where Hammersley dumps in. It was an 18 1/2” brown. A few hours after this photo was taken we were fishing far downstream and there were reports of “a young kid catching a 22” brown at Hammersley shortly after 8am”. Grew about a 1/2” per hour View attachment 1641228625

On my honeymoon in the late 80s, I was fishing the Gibbon River in Yellowstone. My wife had pulled out the camera to photograph the nice bull elk over my shoulder and right then I caught a brown. Focusing those older cameras was not her strong suit.
View attachment 1641228626

My father was fishing the first meadow on Slough Creek in the early 90s in Yellowstone. The 18-20 inchers liked the large Crowe Beetles we threw in that wind.
View attachment 1641228627
Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing them. Love the elk in the back ground.

Last edited:
When I was living in NYC we often took trips to the Lehigh Valley & South Central PA to fish which wasn't as easy as today because I-78 wasn't completed, even in Jersey.

Here's two of my old Brooklyn buddies getting suited up at the Little Lehigh sometime in the early 1980's at the upper parking area on Section 8, the former "Heritage" Fly Fishing Only section.

The guy whose face you can see was a bit older than my other cronies and had a bamboo rod collection that brought tears to the eyes of a broke kid like me.

We spent many a night at the old Antrim Lodge getting gassed after fishing in the Catskills so I'm sure we went somewhere in Allentown later that day to do the same before heading back to the city. ;)

Little Lehigh 1980s

Last edited:
Back