coolers?

pre cooling the cooler with a sacrificial bag of ice is a must. once my first bag melted, the second bag held ice pretty good. i spray foamed the lid on my igloo cooler. not sure if that helped as i didnt try it out before i spray foamed it. sticker on cooler said 3 days ice. i believe it for this time of year but not for summer. after this trip i may invest in a better cooler and keep this cooler for my briskets or as a secondary cooler for fishing/camping trips. furthermore i was very upset at the camping spot i chose i had no idea i reserved an open field instead of a wooded lot. it really put a damper on the trip but the fishing was good. i fished the big flatbrook in stokes state forrest. next time i will have to reserve a different spot.
KIMG1852

KIMG1854

KIMG1855

KIMG1856

KIMG1857

those are great pictures! sometimes a open camp spot - especially during this wet spring - is a lot drier and firmer than those wooded slots. i'll bet those were wet and muddy. glad you had a nice spring trip. i know you got a lot of great cooler brand advise in this thread, but i'll add that i swear by my Cabelas Polar Cap 45.

i'll pre chill, use 2 ice blocks i make prior to trip ... and i'll keep ice for 7 days. ive had bottles of water freeze while in it. after a long trip - i'll find a remnant of one of the blocks! its heavy duty ... but i put it in the bed of my pickup, secure it to the truck with a bike cable lock and lock the lid as well. it has been a work horse for me. Happy you had a fun and safe trip!

cheers!

Last edited:
pre cooling the cooler with a sacrificial bag of ice is a must. once my first bag melted, the second bag held ice pretty good. i spray foamed the lid on my igloo cooler. not sure if that helped as i didnt try it out before i spray foamed it. sticker on cooler said 3 days ice. i believe it for this time of year but not for summer. after this trip i may invest in a better cooler and keep this cooler for my briskets or as a secondary cooler for fishing/camping trips. furthermore i was very upset at the camping spot i chose i had no idea i reserved an open field instead of a wooded lot. it really put a damper on the trip but the fishing was good. i fished the big flatbrook in stokes state forrest. next time i will have to reserve a different spot.
I know it’s off topic from the cooler discussion. But one thing I do everytime I’m at a campground is to take a couple minutes and fully walk the tenting area on the grounds. Then I snap a quick photo of my absolute favorite site and it’s number. And a back up site in case it’s booked. Next time around, I know what site or two to book.

Dave ... wow ... your are VERY perceptive.... Cross Fork cabin airbnb i had , up that road from Deb's. very peaceful. LOVED the counter top ice maker.

I know it’s off topic from the cooler discussion. But one thing I do everytime I’m at a campground is to take a couple minutes and fully walk the tenting area on the grounds. Then I snap a quick photo of my absolute favorite site and it’s number. And a back up site in case it’s booked. Next time around, I know what site or two to book.
thats just very smart! if you're planning on going back .. no need to roll the dice

im going on a camping/fly fishing trip at the end of April. i will be tent camping and staying 2 nights, 3 days. i have never really thought about coolers until now. i know some are stupid expensive and i know im not going down that path. so whats a good cooler that wont break the bank for a 3 day trip? im not even sure what size cooler i would need. just basic drinks. some steaks. maybe a 12 pack of beer and gatorades. eggs and bacon for breakfast. for lunch i will just eat a mountain house. but once back at camp for the night i would like to cook something good for dinner over the fire or my coleman stove.
Ask a friend if you can use their Yeti

btw ... the best deal on ice is the Lamar Volunteer Fire Dept " serve yourself" on rt 64, coming out of BFC ... $1 a bag --- put it in the slot. theres a sign ... " smile - your on camera"

It's $1.50 now, but still a good deal! Firehall in downtown Lock Haven used to have huge bags for $3, but their price may have went up to. We always load up on ice for bear camp there

Kyle, it was hard for me to part with the money for my first Yeti (Tundra 65). It was before Rtic and the copies. Once I had the cooler I was surprised how much I used it. Fishing trips, car cruises, hunting camp, college football tailgates, and even as a casting platform for casting practice.
I'm with you, Brookie Chaser. If I pre-cool my Yeti it seems to stay icy for five days in August on an asphalt pad or nearly all the distance on a coast-to-coast tow, and the water is cool for days after that. All the suggestions of pre-cooling help a lot.

i will eventually put the money out for a better cooler. the igloo i bought was only $35. ill save the igloo for my briskets and take the good cooler camping/fishing. i have been eyeing up the Rtic coolers.

I will never buy another cooler without wheels and a drain. Those 2 are requirements. Believe mine is a coleman and 3 day ice is no problem.

I will never buy another cooler without wheels and a drain. Those 2 are requirements. Believe mine is a coleman and 3 day ice is no problem.

I just got a full size Yeti (with wheels) as a recognition gift from work. I started to carry it down to the basement and quickly realized it’d be better for my back if it lives its life in the garage. And I’ll be loading it into the car BEFORE I load it with ice and contents.

I just got a full size Yeti (with wheels) as a recognition gift from work. I started to carry it down to the basement and quickly realized it’d be better for my back if it lives its life in the garage. And I’ll be loading it into the car BEFORE I load it with ice and contents.
How are you ever going to get it out of the car then when you get to where you're going? You obviously don't have to get it out, but...

How are you ever going to get it out of the car then when you get to where you're going? You obviously don't have to get it out, but...

I’d leave it in. Or, drink the contents, then remove. 🍻

I’d leave it in. Or, drink the contents, then remove. 🍻
This is great advice. Definitely leave/put the cooler in the car. You can fish all day on a car camping trip! Multiple watersheds? No problem. No need to go back to the campsite for any reason other than sleep. Snacks, hydration, beer. You brought it with you. Start a fire, roast a dog. Have a lunch break and get back in the game!

Dave ... wow ... your are VERY perceptive.... Cross Fork cabin airbnb i had , up that road from Deb's. very peaceful. LOVED the counter top ice maker.
@Mashbill we stayed there last May. Nice place and a good location. I liked being close to Deb's too.

@Mashbill we stayed there last May. Nice place and a good location. I liked being close to Deb's too.

salmonoid and I almost booked that place too, but we gave NWPA the nod for our Fall trip this year.

Back