coolers?

Yeah

I missed that procedure I guess.
Anyway, I wonder about putting ice in the cooler 8 hours or so earlier than departure time.
Especially during hot weather.

Food and drinks are always in the fridge before going into cooler

It’ll be better than not pre-chilling for sure. 8 hours would be plenty to get the cooler cold.

Obviously, hotter ambient temperatures will lead to ice loss faster than cooler temps, but I’d argue that makes pre-chilling all the more important.

Yes, but you can put dry ice in a giant caldron with some green water, dress up like a wizard and say some incantations over it and scare the other fisherman away from your campsite & fishin' spots...

...you can't do THAT with block ice. ;)
I usually just talk in tongues and handle a couple of rattlesnakes since I don't care to get frostbite from frozen CO2. Besides that, iron cauldrons are too heavy to drag out into the boonies.

I usually just talk in tongues and handle a couple of rattlesnakes since I don't care to get frostbite from frozen CO2. Besides that, iron cauldrons are too heavy to drag out into the boonies.

Walmart sells plastic caldrons around Halloween which beat the pants off the cast iron versions for lugging into the woods and they are dry ice rated... ;)

Walmart sells plastic caldrons around Halloween which beat the pants off the cast iron versions for lugging into the woods and they are dry ice rated... ;)
But the season opens in a few weeks and Halloween is months away. I also prefer the authenticity of the cast iron. I'm pretty sure the witches in Macbeth didn't have a plastic cauldron. And you call yourself a wizard. Sheesh!

But the season opens in a few weeks and Halloween is months away. I also prefer the authenticity of the cast iron. I'm pretty sure the witches in Macbeth didn't have a plastic cauldron. And you call yourself a wizard. Sheesh!
I bet you could purchase one down the block at a garage sale.

The way they put seasonal stuff out these days, I might be able to get one the day after Memorial Day, or even sooner!

Dry ice? Seriously?

I can’t think of any place in PA where that’s even remotely necessary, assuming you own a car a possess a driver’s license. Unless you plan on shipping your cooler to your campsite as opposed to putting it in your vehicle. But seriously? I see zero upside here for the PITA it is to deal with versus regular ice. As mentioned earlier in the thread, you can get block ice, or essentially make your own at home with old milk jugs or OJ containers…I prefer OJ containers as the plastic is a little more solid.
i am also gonna do this. make my own block ice. thanks for the tip with the OJ containers

Unless your cooker is made of metal, glass or has some liquid insulated properties, you can't "chill" a plastic and styrofoam insulated cooler. Other than keeping the lid open so the air inside isn't warm if it been in the sun. Plastic and foam only keep heat out. They do not transfer heat very well.

I'll wait for Pat to arrive write an essay as to the heat transferring properties of plastic and Styrofoam to be completely certain but I think you'll just be wasting ice.

With that said, I do remember a guy who had a cooler that had a removeable blue ice insert that clipped into the lid. I thought that was cool and of course, you could pre chill that blue insert.

Unless your cooker is made of metal, glass or has some liquid insulated properties, you can't "chill" a plastic and styrofoam insulated cooler. Other than keeping the lid open so the air inside isn't warm if it been in the sun. Plastic and foam only keep heat out. They do not transfer heat very well.

I'll wait for Pat to arrive write an essay as to the heat transferring properties of plastic and Styrofoam to be completely certain but I think you'll just be wasting ice.

With that said, I do remember a guy who had a cooler that had a removeable blue ice insert that clipped into the lid. I thought that was cool and of course, you could pre chill that blue insert.

Not sure on the science, but there’s definitely a lot less water, and more remaining ice, at the end of the day if I’ve pre-chilled it. Especially with my Yeti. The difference is less, but still present with my Coleman.

For day trips, it honestly doesn’t matter. For longer though, and when you won’t have access to refresh your ice supply, it’s worth it IMO.

I bought an Igloo Sportsman rotomold about 7 or so years ago. I did a fair amount of research on it versus other rotomolds. I think I ended up paying $200 something for it and it's been a great investment. It's heavy (20 lbs ish) but has been through a lot. It's been to Alaska 1/2 dozen times and each time comes crashing down the United baggage claim full of 50 lbs of salmon and it still functions as good as Day 1.

I use it camping and on the raft frame as well.

Another good (or maybe bad) feature is that my wife uses it regularly when she needs to get groceries and doesn't plan to come directly home. If only she would remember to put it back where it belongs.

just got back from wally world and saw the Rtic coolers. they seem well made with thick walls. now im thinking about buying the $150 cooler and be done with it without any mods. they had a larger model for $200. but i dont think i need that size. i can see squeez out 150 from my pocket. i just need to make sure ill get good use out of it for it to be worthwhile.

just got back from wally world and saw the Rtic coolers. they seem well made with thick walls. now im thinking about buying the $150 cooler and be done with it without any mods. they had a larger model for $200. but i dont think i need that size. i can see squeez out 150 from my pocket. i just need to make sure ill get good use out of it for it to be worthwhile.
Dear Kyle,

If you don't need the cooler immediately surf the web and look for sales and coupons. Try using Rakuten and Capitol One shopping services too! I spent about $ 300.00 for the Rtic 55 and a soft sided 18 can Rtic cooler FED-EX'ed to my door. I also bought a couple of Rtic insulated cups, and some compartmented food containers in that price, The items combined were less than 1/2 the price of similar Yeti products. Granted, it was 2 years ago, but sales and coupons still appear from Rtic.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

they had a larger model for $200. but i dont think i need that size.

Famous last words.... :ROFLMAO:

IMO, spend the extra $50!

also, I agree about waiting for a good deal once you've narrowed down your cooler make/model. Prices fluctuate and spring sales should be happening now.

Famous last words.... :ROFLMAO:

IMO, spend the extra $50!

also, I agree about waiting for a good deal once you've narrowed down your cooler make/model. Prices fluctuate and spring sales should be happening now.
you are 100% right. i feel like a cooler is grudge buy. i dont want to buy it. but have to. i dont think itll go to waste as i have multiple camping trips this year. the cheap side of me is coming out over buying something to keep items cool for a few days.

These newer Yeti type coolers are made of steel, and rather heavy IMO
Also rather heavy on the wallet too.....

Maybe I missed the joke?

Yeti has a stainless model, but the Tundra series (vast majority of Yeti hard coolers and the "Yeti style" cooler) are roto molded plastic.

Kyle, it was hard for me to part with the money for my first Yeti (Tundra 65). It was before Rtic and the copies. Once I had the cooler I was surprised how much I used it. Fishing trips, car cruises, hunting camp, college football tailgates, and even as a casting platform for casting practice.

Ok so to sum it up!

For long trips without the possibility of resupplying.

1. Insulate the lid or buy a good cooler that has an insulated one.

2. Use block ice.

3. Freeze some drinks.

4. Prechill the cooler.

5. Place a wet towel over top of the cooler.

6. Keep the cooler in the shade.

7. Drain the water daily.

For short trips where you can resupply

1. Just do whatever you want, you can always go get more ice.

I always appreciate learning about anything fishing related.
Thanks for all the great tips and info guys!

I have acquired all my Yeti Bev. Cups , as gifts.
They r terrific.

Sorry , no help w coolers.

Even tho I believe that u get what u pay for, ( most times)....have never come close to digging deep in my pocket to actually pay for a YETI product.

FWIW....I did hear a Podcast featuring the founder of YETI,
and found it VERY well worth my time.
Gave me a VERY favorable impression how they came to b the leader that everyone else is now chasing.

If I was in your situation....buy the best one at COSTCO that fits your budget.
If it works well...u r a winner.
If it sucks, return for refund.

Anyone consider an ice-less cooler like "iceco" brand. They are pricey but are having a spring sale right now. Save money on ice in the long run, and can use ice in them if you want. Also some models have freezer compartments

Last edited:
Most of the big chains like Acme and Giant around me in SEPA do. You can usually find it stored and sold out of chest coolers up front by the check-out in ~12x12 blocks.

I usually wrap it in cardboard befor putting it in a cooler and always plan for some separation between it and the items I'm storing. I've dealt with all of my stuff in a cooler being frozen solid on day two of a trip without a little pack-out planning.

I always look for dry ice rated coolers. Ones that aren't are at risk of dry ice freezing and cracking the inner lining of the cooler.

Now, if you're car camping a 1/4 mile from a Sheetz or WaWa, dry ice may be over thinking it a little.
Bear in mind that dry ice will freeze food and liquid - important when storing fresh produce or canned drinks. I'd only consider using it if I wanted to keep frozen food frozen, or if I wanted to freeze fish that I want to keep.

Back