Chest Fly Box?

I have two Downs boxes, an original 3 tray and a 5 tray. I also have a Rishardson 4 tray. The Richardson, outside box had that old green thin foam, in the box and on the lid. The other 3 trays have compartments.
The frustrating part about the compartments is, the flies get tangled together.
Even though they are the same fly, it is a pain to untangle them.

I’m guessing, That is probably why Pcray and Boozie changed their boxes?
I’m about to do the same thing. Unfortunately, that can’t be done with the Downs chest box. The compartment’s are molded in the plastic box.

I also like C&F slit foam. Does anyone know where to buy just the C&F foam?
I also purchased a very lightweight green canvas harness, with D ring for a net, from Richardson last year. I haven’t tried it yet, but will this season, as I too, want to abandon the vest.

I have two Downs boxes, an original 3 tray and a 5 tray. I also have a Rishardson 4 tray. The Richardson, outside box had that old green thin foam, in the box and on the lid. The other 3 trays have compartments.
The frustrating part about the compartments is, the flies get tangled together.
Even though they are the same fly, it is a pain to untangle them.

I’m guessing, That is probably why Pcray and Boozie changed their boxes?
I’m about to do the same thing. Unfortunately, that can’t be done with the Downs chest box. The compartment’s are molded in the plastic box.

I also like C&F slit foam. Does anyone know where to buy just the C&F foam?
I also purchased a very lightweight green canvas harness, with D ring for a net, from Richardson last year. I haven’t tried it yet, but will this season, as I too, want to abandon the vest.
I don't know where you can get just the slit-foam by itself, but I bought this Simms flybox at one of those Sierra discount stores. These patches are easy to pry out, and will easily fit into a chestbox.

Attachments

• IMG-4691.jpg
    IMG-4691.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 5
I still use compartments, as that is what I prefer for dry flies. Slit foam would never work for me for dry flies or even wets the way I have my Richardson Box set up.

I have two different Richardson boxes that I modified to swap trays. Typically, I am using a single 1-1/4” tray closest to my chest with plain flat foam on the lid and a Richardson Interchangeable Foam Insert with plain flat foam in the bottom. I also have a bunch of flat foam pads I stash in that tray. That single tray is where I store ALL of my nymphs, wets & streamers.

All the rest of the trays I add or subtract as needed are compartment trays with removable dividers, plain foam in the bottom and nothing on the lid. I also have a 1-1/4” deep tray I can add if needed with compartments for bigger dry flies.

I considered replacing the plain flat foam in my single wet fly tray with slit foam, but I can’t find replacement pads the same size as the flat foam I have now, or large enough so I can cut them to size and orient the flies horizontally which is what I prefer. They are only available as big fly slit foam pads or small fly slit foam pads, not a combination of the two. I could probably fabricate a Frankenstien combination pad, but I would lose storage depending on how it had to be cut.

With plain flat foam, I have the flexibility to put any size fly on the same piece of foam in any orientation I want. That works best for me considering the assortment of wets I typically carry. Richardson uses foam sheets from Richard Wheatley and I have a roll of it I bought directly from Wheatley so I have a lifetime supply of replacement foam. So far, I haven’t needed it…

As far as replacement C&F foam pads, they are out there, but you will have to cobble together several strips where you want them versus finding an insert the size you want. There is also the Avantek Fly Box available through Amazon that has a huge slit foam insert that you could remove and cut to size for about the same price as a much smaller C&F foam pad. However, this type of slit foam may not be what you are after.

I still use compartments, as that is what I prefer for dry flies. Slit foam would never work for me for dry flies or even wets the way I have my Richardson Box set up.

I have two different Richardson boxes that I modified to swap trays. Typically, I am using a single 1-1/4” tray closest to my chest with plain flat foam on the lid and a Richardson Interchangeable Foam Insert with plain flat foam in the bottom. I also have a bunch of flat foam pads I stash in that tray. That single tray is where I store ALL of my nymphs, wets & streamers.

All the rest of the trays I add or subtract as needed are compartment trays with removable dividers, plain foam in the bottom and nothing on the lid. I also have a 1-1/4” deep tray I can add if needed with compartments for bigger dry flies.

I considered replacing the plain flat foam in my single wet fly tray with slit foam, but I can’t find replacement pads the same size as the flat foam I have now, or large enough so I can cut them to size and orient the flies horizontally which is what I prefer. They are only available as big fly slit foam pads or small fly slit foam pads, not a combination of the two. I could probably fabricate a Frankenstien combination pad, but I would lose storage depending on how it had to be cut.

With plain flat foam, I have the flexibility to put any size fly on the same piece of foam in any orientation I want. That works best for me considering the assortment of wets I typically carry. Richardson uses foam sheets from Richard Wheatley and I have a roll of it I bought directly from Wheatley so I have a lifetime supply of replacement foam. So far, I haven’t needed it…

As far as replacement C&F foam pads, they are out there, but you will have to cobble together several strips where you want them versus finding an insert the size you want. There is also the Avantek Fly Box available through Amazon that has a huge slit foam insert that you could remove and cut to size for about the same price as a much smaller C&F foam pad. However, this type of slit foam may not be what you are after.
You guys are like long-lost bretheren. I'm in Minnesota, near the Wisconsin border. I've fished with chestboxes for years and years. I have yet to see ONE fisherman her using one.

I hardly see anyone using one here in PA, especially anyone under the age of 30.

I know a couple of things about them, they are much heavier than foam, thicker and obviously a lot more expensive.

Last week, I took a walk from the parking lot at the old fly shop, at the fly fishing only stretch of the Little Lehigh. I wasn’t fishing, just checking things out.
Anyway, I saw a fisherman in the stream with a Downs Chest Box, then another with a Downs box getting reeved up as I was pulling out of the parking lot.
The guy just getting ready to fish, his Downs had that multi- colored strap, my old Downs box has that same strap/ harness.

I agree with Boozie, the compartments are best for dry flies. I have a few Wheatley fly boxes with those individual compartments, they are intended for dry flies as well.

I also purchased a couple removable flat tin trays , with strips of that Wheatley foam on them, from Richardson. I haven’t tried them yet either.
I suppose I’ll figure it out, eventually!
I’m determined to get rid of the vest, as I continue to fill it with stuff that doesn’t need to go along!

....I also purchased a couple removable flat tin trays , with strips of that Wheatley foam on them, from Richardson. I haven’t tried them yet either.
I suppose I’ll figure it out, eventually!
I’m determined to get rid of the vest, as I continue to fill it with stuff that doesn’t need to go along
Are you planning to put the Richardson Interchangeable Foam Inserts in the Down's Box or your Richardson?

I ask because in a Richardson, you use the Interchangeable Foam Inserts when you DON'T already have foam glued to the bottom of a tray without dividers and they only really work properly in 1-1/4" deep tray which is typically the one closest to your chest.

The insert just lays in the bottom of the tray with the front edge facing the TOP of the tray and the aluminum tab goes on the bottom and catches on a spot on the inside of the tray that is pried out a little bit. It's hard to explain, but it works really well when the box is set up for them.

When it isn't, you will have to get rid of the foam in the bottom of the tray and make a minor modification. I'll try and take a photo or two of mine and post them if you need to see what I am talking about. (Too bad that the Richardson Fly Box website has such lousy photos or you could see it there).

In regards to losing the vest, I emptied mine out on the floor and started deciding what I needed ON me and what I need WITH me on an outing. The stuff I need WITH me on an outing lives in a tackle bag in my trunk. That forces me to make sure I have enough tippet, flies, Frog Fanny, whiskey in my flask, etc. BEFORE I start fishing, but that's a good thing versus just loading down a vest with too much and hoping I remembered everything.

BTW - I have NEVER had to walk back to the car for anything. :)

The stuff that won't go in my chest box lives in a fishing shirt, a few pouches I have on the chest box harness and a belt around my waist. I've been using this system for a LONG time and it works really well for me.

This is my Goertzen. 3 thin boxes and all my tools. It even has a ring on the neck strap for my net zinger to balance it.
I tried Downs and sort of liked it. Really want a Richardson but I’m afraid I’ll keep coming back to this thing. I also carry a box or two in my wader pockets if needed plus an extra set of nippers and a leader or two.

Attachments

• C9D85E1C-B08E-4900-9AA7-8F98B09D226F.jpeg
    C9D85E1C-B08E-4900-9AA7-8F98B09D226F.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 31
Are you planning to put the Richardson Interchangeable Foam Inserts in the Down's Box or your Richardson?

I ask because in a Richardson, you use the Interchangeable Foam Inserts when you DON'T already have foam glued to the bottom of a tray without dividers and they only really work properly in 1-1/4" deep tray which is typically the one closest to your chest.

The insert just lays in the bottom of the tray with the front edge facing the TOP of the tray and the aluminum tab goes on the bottom and catches on a spot on the inside of the tray that is pried out a little bit. It's hard to explain, but it works really well when the box is set up for them.

When it isn't, you will have to get rid of the foam in the bottom of the tray and make a minor modification. I'll try and take a photo or two of mine and post them if you need to see what I am talking about. (Too bad that the Richardson Fly Box website has such lousy photos or you could see it there).

In regards to losing the vest, I emptied mine out on the floor and started deciding what I needed ON me and what I need WITH me on an outing. The stuff I need WITH me on an outing lives in a tackle bag in my trunk. That forces me to make sure I have enough tippet, flies, Frog Fanny, whiskey in my flask, etc. BEFORE I start fishing, but that's a good thing versus just loading down a vest with too much and hoping I remembered everything.

BTW - I have NEVER had to walk back to the car for anything. :)

The stuff that won't go in my chest box lives in a fishing shirt, a few pouches I have on the chest box harness and a belt around my waist. I've been using this system for a LONG time and it works really well for me.
I plan on putting it in my Richardson. The tin removable trays I got from Richardson, I was planning on putting in the front narrow trays.

They told me the heavier foam option, wouldn’t work in the narrow trays, so I chose the thinner foam, per their recommendation. I did scrape the foam off the end tray and lid so far. The hinge on one of those trays is incorporated with the dividers. I was hoping to have at least two of the four trays converted to the removable option.

It would be Great to see a pic or two of your setup. I like what Pcray did with his Richardson too.
I like your thoughts on leaving some possible things in the vehicle!
I just need to get rid of an overloaded vest and lighten the load

Does anyone know where to buy just the C&F foam?
If you Google slit foam fly boxes you may be able to get links to knock-off C&F boxes. Besides my five swing leaf C&F boxes and three without the leaf I have 3 or 4 knock offs. I know C&F has interchangeable slitted sections. But instead of the typical Vee slit in foam it is long slits where you may insert many flies in each slit. The pages have metal clips on each side of the page that snap into a special C&F box.

This is one of the sizes. They have smaller sizes too.

Attachments

• C&F page.jpeg
    C&F page.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 8
C&F sells foam replacement inserts, and I cut off the edges to make rows. I ended up spending a bit on this, as you need several for each tray and lid, plus I liked having different sizes for different trays.

The "curved" rows. Once you cut off the edges they wanted to bend. I used super glue to glue down the foam, but, it didn't set fast enough and the edges curled a bit before solidifying. Looks bad, but functionally fine. If you want a neat look, figure out how to clamp the ends....

As for stuff. I kinda wish I'd gotten a tippet dispenser instead of a leader wallet. But I put my license in there, with a couple of leaders. Tippet and shot live in my waders pouch. Floatant has a holder on the richardson. Nippers attached to the richardson harness clasp. A handful of strike indicators just get laid in my deep tray. That's it. Richardson, waders, I got all I need. If wet wading the wader pouch zips off. On full day jaunts away from the vehicle, I'll wear a hunting fanny with drinks and lunch.

Last edited:
Thank You everyone, for all the great information and sharing some personal preferences! This was a great thread, as most are on Paflyfish!
I continue to learn so much here! The advice on this site is Invaluable!

My small stream setup

Attachments

• 812E35AA-ABA5-4769-9FDF-49523780E2B2.jpeg
    812E35AA-ABA5-4769-9FDF-49523780E2B2.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 32
I like them all for different situations. I haven’t worn a vest in 25 years.

Joe E

Attachments

• 99ECFD8A-E5F1-4436-8ED1-FD264A7F0EA9.jpeg
    99ECFD8A-E5F1-4436-8ED1-FD264A7F0EA9.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 38
My small stream setup
My small stream set-up is an over-the-shoulder Chapman Troutbeck bag with a bespoke insert I designed to give me inside organization.

A chest box works nicely with a classic canvas & leather over-the-shoulder bag however, I carry one Wheatley 12 compartment box with foam in mine. I also do Tenkara and have a tiny bespoke Chapman bag with one 4 compartment Wheatley in it I use for that.

I'm glad I designed and bought all this stuff when I did because the Chapman factory bespoke service is no longer available and Chapman only makes one fishing bag and a few accessories versus the wide selection they offered in years past.

I like them all for different situations. I haven’t worn a vest in 25 years.

Joe E
You definitely don't have enough fly storage systems! Buy a couple more.

Here's a Richardson question. Do any of you own the leather harness option? If so, is it easier on you neck and shoulders. Bob told me he had to switch makers for the harness, but he'll have them soon. I forgot to ask what he charges. Might cost plenty. So, I'm looking for ya'lls input about it.

I do not. Just the black nylon straps and happy with it.

I borrowed someone's leather harness once, just to try it out. Wasn't impressed. It was kind of hot on that summer day, the harness didn't help. And I have zero issues with the black strap. In fact I put a clip on it where I hang a leader straightener, nippers, etc. And above the box I clamp my forceps to it. Makes it an all in one package.

Back