Chest Fly Box?

That's just poor planning and not being organized. It has nothing to do with how you carry your stuff.
That's true.
But I still like to have everything I might need with me - even if I don't use it

It’s cute, however I can find a few additional short comings... ;)
  • The inserts or "pages" should be swappable, so you could configure it the way YOU want it instead of trying to adapt it to your needs.
  • You have to like slit foam for fly storage. I know a lot of folks do, but I don't. I always prefer compartments for dry flies and plain flat foam for the minuscule midge pupa I use.
  • The flip pages with pockets for split shot, magnetic fly holders and threaders are interesting if you use them, but again, I'd rather have more fly storage.
  • Unless you don’t mind re-spooling tippet material or changing brands when your favorite goes to a bigger/fatter spool size; tippet dispensers that intend to use existing spool sizes of tippet material are a waste of space and WILL become obsolete eventually.
  • That skinny neck strap will dig into your neck after a while, especially if you don't wear a shirt with a collar.
  • It DOES have a clip to secure it to your shirt, but if you are only wearing a T-shirt, I have a feeling it will be popping off all the time.
Bottom line, if a Richardson was out of my budget or not for me, before I want that route, I’d just buy a small chest pack and use a regular fly box(es), but that’s me.

FWIW - that's what I do when warmwater fishing...

As always YMMV.
Hmm, A "few"?

When I fish Montana or more local waters with limited insect life I now use this small Trout Pond chest pack. It has one medium and one large fly box pocket . "D" rings to hang nippers, forceps, other gadgets. The interior of the larger pocket has a zippered pocket and an unzippered one. Cushioned neck strap and wrap around back strap.

Attachments

• 20220207_173152.jpg
    20220207_173152.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220207_173511.jpg
    20220207_173511.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 11
I like micro slit fly boxes because I have hundreds (thousands) of #16 - #24 dries and nymphs and I like organization. Also virtually all of my smaller dries have split or flared tails and when I put them in large compartments where they are co-mingling the split tails often go askew. For #14 and larger I use big 4.5" x 7.5" Dewitt boxes for home storage and use smaller Dewitt boxes for my vest or boat bag.

Attachments

• 20220207_174348.jpg
    20220207_174348.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220207_174353.jpg
    20220207_174353.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Here's a review I found.

That's true.
But I still like to have everything I might need with me - even if I don't use it
I absolutely get that 'cause I used to be that way, but before I ditched my vest I dumped out everything and decided what I didn't need with me ALL THE TIME and could leave back at the car.

Then I downsized on certain things and carried less, especially each type of fly. I made a 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 3/4" 6 spool tippet dispenser that was 1/2 of the size of the 10 spool dispenser I carried before, came up with clever ways to store the same amount of stuff in less space and before I knew it, I could fit everything I REALLY needed in a few pockets and a chest box.

It's takes planning, discipline & organization, but I gave up my vest in the late 1980's and I have never once had to walk back to the car for anything... seriously!

I guess I'm fortunate I don't carry lunch, water, rain gear, a net and bunch of other stuff others can't live without but again, I have it down to a science.

I absolutely get that 'cause I used to be that way, but before I ditched my vest I dumped out everything and decided what I didn't need with me ALL THE TIME and could leave back at the car.

Then I downsized on certain things and carried less, especially each type of fly. I made a 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 3/4" 6 spool tippet dispenser that was 1/2 of the size of the 10 spool dispenser I carried before, came up with clever ways to store the same amount of stuff in less space and before I knew it, I could fit everything I REALLY needed in a few pockets and a chest box.

It's takes planning, discipline & organization, but I gave up my vest in the late 1980's and I have never once had to walk back to the car for anything... seriously!

I guess I'm fortunate I don't carry lunch, water, rain gear, a net and bunch of other stuff others can't live without but again, I have it down to a science.
After 40 years at this sport, I thought I had it down to a science too.
As a dedicated hatch follower, thought I knew what to carry , and when.

Back then, you didn't see grannoms until the last week of april.
And no sulphers til mid may.

Then things started happening earlier and earlier.

2 years ago, I hit a grannom hatch on spring creek on St Patricks day.
Also started to see sulphers as early as mid april.
Last year, I came across a heavy march brown hatch on the Delaware River in april.
I want to carry more flies than ever now, because you never know.

I also frequently hike into and fish places for the whole day.
And want to carry water and food.
And a raincoat, if that's a threat.

To each his own, I guess

You can put whatever you like in a Richardson. I planned on micro-slit all along. Ordered with foam throughout, tore it out the day I took it home, bought the C&F foam replacement things and put them in there. Crappy glue job but it works.

As for hatches earlier. Several years ago, early April, a buddy and I were on Penns. Snow still on the ground, flurries all day long, below freezing, line was freezing up. By evening everyone was gone from the water and a sizable 2 hr sulpher hatch happened out of nowhere. Their wings froze, couldn't take to the air just accumulated along the slow edge water riding like sailboats. Had it all to ourselves, he worked up one bank, me the other and just kept going picking up fish on the regular. One of the best Penns Creek days I've ever had.

And last spring something similar happened. Late April, so it was getting closer to the proper time. Day was full of wind and thundersqualls, with ice pellets. You'd get a squall, it'd pass and get sunny and windy, 40 minutes later another squall, all day long. Everytime one of those squalls would come up sulphers would just come off like a blizzard. As soon as it ended so did the bugs. Stand in stream, ball up in your wading jacket, let it pass on by. As soon as it ended you had a 10 minute window or so of hot fishing. Windy enough you didn't cast, just let the line fly like a flag, and worked it down to the water. Then go to the bank and warm up and wait for the next squall. Hehe.

When I first modified my Richardson to have swappable trays, I had season specific trays that I would add or subtract as needed and I have a couple trays just for fishing in North Central PA which has WAY more hatches than my neck of the woods.

My season specific trays were for Hendricksons, Quill Gordons, Early Black & Brown Stoneflies, etc. I had a separate mid season tray with Sulphurs, March Browns, Grey Fox, etc. and a separate Trico & late season tray. I also have season specific foam pad inserts that I made, like the felt pads Richardson peddles for nymphs that I add or subtract as needed.

What I carried in the base number of trays (2-3) all year long were terrestrials, caddis, midges, BWO's and nymphs & streamers.

The first thing I did was reduce the total number of each size & style of fly I carry. I discovered a long time ago that I NEVER EVER lose a dozen of the same fly in an outing, let alone 2 or 3 so now I carry 6 at most, most often 4 or less. I have extras back at the car, but I have never had to walk back to reload my Richardson.

The next thing I did was rearrange those base trays and foam pads to have FEW flies I might encounter early before I get the chance to add a particular season specific tray. So, for example my BWO tray has a few Sulphurs in it.

The other thing I did in the season specific trays was to create overlap. So in other words, my early season tray has a few Sulphurs in it and my mid season tray has a few Trios. That way, if I encounter early or late hatches, I have it covered for that day and if I anticipate the same thing on a subsequent day, I'll add the season specific tray that has a LOT more flies.

As a result of this little change in organization, I now carry way less flies most of the time and use less trays on my Richardson as well.

When I first modified my Richardson to have swappable trays, I had season specific trays that I would add or subtract as needed and I have a couple trays just for fishing in North Central PA which has WAY more hatches than my neck of the woods.

My season specific trays were for Hendricksons, Quill Gordons, Early Black & Brown Stoneflies, etc. I had a separate mid season tray with Sulphurs, March Browns, Grey Fox, etc. and a separate Trico & late season tray. I also have season specific foam pad inserts that I made, like the felt pads Richardson peddles for nymphs that I add or subtract as needed.

What I carried in the base number of trays (2-3) all year long were terrestrials, caddis, midges, BWO's and nymphs & streamers.

The first thing I did was reduce the total number of each size & style of fly I carry. I discovered a long time ago that I NEVER EVER lose a dozen of the same fly in an outing, let alone 2 or 3 so now I carry 6 at most, most often 4 or less. I have extras back at the car, but I have never had to walk back to reload my Richardson.

The next thing I did was rearrange those base trays and foam pads to have FEW flies I might encounter early before I get the chance to add a particular season specific tray. So, for example my BWO tray has a few Sulphurs in it.

The other thing I did in the season specific trays was to create overlap. So in other words, my early season tray has a few Sulphurs in it and my mid season tray has a few Trios. That way, if I encounter early or late hatches, I have it covered for that day and if I anticipate the same thing on a subsequent day, I'll add the season specific tray that has a LOT more flies.

As a result of this little change in organization, I now carry way less flies most of the time and use less trays on my Richardson as well.
Good advice above, especially about not needing to carry too many of the same pattern.

I carry quite a few fly boxes in my sling pack > a large assortment of dries (duns , emergers and spinners), nymphs, wets and streamers to match just about anything I will encounter.

While I do carry multiple fly boxes to carry these, I'm able to have my full assortment of both hatch-matching flies and attractors with me at all times because I only carry 4 or 5 of each pattern.

I may bulk up on some flies if I know the hatch is on and I will likely fish a certain pattern most of the day and I too have boxes of extra ties in my vehicle, but I'm prepared for any hatch with the flies I carry.

I always smile when I hear guys say they didn't have their XXXXX box of flies with them when a hatch happened or everyone was killing them on YYYYY flies, but they were in my other box.....its A to Z for me!

Since I use a sling pack I carry my fly boxes behind me, but I load up a box which stays in front with flies I expect to use that day.

The box is hung and Velcroed to the strap and holds my flies plus has compartments for sinkers, indies strike putty, etc.

Also attached up front are all my tools such as nippers and hemos along with a tippet spool holder.

I hang everything I need on the strap sort of like a lanyard, so I rarely have to sling the pack around.

The fly boxes nest in the front compartment of my sling and the main compartment has a folded up raincoat (something I never want to be without) extra tippet spools and leaders and water (also never be without water to drink for sure) along with a snack plus a headlight.

So for me, be prepared for a day out on the water involves a lot more than just carrying some flies, tools and tippet.

I can stay out all day without returning to my vehicle, and everything stays in my sling at all times so I never forget anything.

The other thing I did in the season specific trays was to create overlap. So in other words, my early season tray has a few Sulphurs in it and my mid season tray has a few Trios. That way, if I encounter early or late hatches, I have it covered for I'll add the season specific tray that has a LOT more flies.
That is very good advice. I've been doing that for years. During the heat of the Hendrickson's I usually bring my entire box with over six dozen nymphs, emergers, duns, and spinners. But by the third week in May the hatch is waning and I'll be bringing the March Brown & Grey Fox box but will still carry half a dozen Hendrickson's in various life cycle stages.

This may not sound like fun to folks that like to tie a lot of different fly styles, but another thing I did years ago to reduce the number of flies I carry is to dumb down the patterns.

What I mean by that is I no longer tie a whole bunch of different styles to represent dry fly versions of mayflies, caddis & stoneflies. I only tie thorax flies & parachutes for mayflies and EWC for caddis & stoneflies. The only thing that varies is the color & size. I do a similar thing with nymphs.

Despite enjoying spending an inordinate amount of time trying to get the colors "correct" on my mayflies, I know that presentation & size matter more than everything else. The dumbed down approach to patterns helps me reduce the number of flies I carry because in a pinch, I know I can use a size 16 Sulphur during a Blue Quill hatch or any other size 16 fly I have in the box and not fret that it doesn't match the color of the natural.

That ultimately means I don't necessarily obsess that I may not have enough Blue Quill patterns in my box on a particular outing if I see them popping off unexpectedly. I know as long as I do a good job presenting whatever correctly sized fly I have in the box, there is an excellent chance the fish will take it.

This may not sound like fun to folks that like to tie a lot of different fly styles, but another thing I did years ago to reduce the number of flies I carry is to dumb down the patterns.

What I mean by that is I no longer tie a whole bunch of different styles to represent dry fly versions of mayflies, caddis & stoneflies. I only tie thorax flies & parachutes for mayflies and EWC for caddis & stoneflies. The only thing that varies is the color & size. I do a similar thing with nymphs.

Despite enjoying spending an inordinate amount of time trying to get the colors "correct" on my mayflies, I know that presentation & size matter more than everything else. The dumbed down approach to patterns helps me reduce the number of flies I carry because in a pinch, I know I can use a size 16 Sulphur during a Blue Quill hatch or any other size 16 fly I have in the box and not fret that it doesn't match the color of the natural.

That ultimately means I don't necessarily obsess that I may not have enough Blue Quill patterns in my box on a particular outing if I see them popping off unexpectedly. I know as long as I do a good job presenting whatever correctly sized fly I have in the box, there is an excellent chance the fish will take it.
A standard adams and Chuck Caddis variant cover much ground for me. Sulfur and BWO comparaduns, Letort Hopper, pheasant tail nymph, and partridge and orange wet, and I'm rolling.

This may not sound like fun to folks that like to tie a lot of different fly styles
It is a good idea. But I just enjoy tying and giving them away when I have too many. I do that with spinners. I only use two spinners in various sizes. A rusty & a brown. I only fish CDC caddis in two colors and 4 sizes.

A standard adams and Chuck Caddis variant cover much ground for me. Sulfur and BWO comparaduns, Letort Hopper, pheasant tail nymph, and partridge and orange wet, and I'm rolling.

I did this when I lived in Idaho in my 20s. Out of lack of $$$ rather than simplicity but it worked well. Nearly everything was basically an Adam's, Bugger, Hares ear nymph or Elk hair caddis. Just different colors and sizes.

Carrying different colored markers was a THING back in the 1980's that I decided to embrace in my first attempt to simplify things to reduce the number of flies I carried. For a short time when I wore a vest, I actually tied all of my dry flies WHITE and colored them as needed with fancy Chartpak permanent markers.

I stashed multiple markers in my vest in different shades of brown, olive, grey, yellow, orange & brown and I would take out the right color(s) and color a generic "white" fly of the correct size to match the naturals.

Well, first off permanent markers ain't so permanent...

This was in the days before Frog Fanny so my floatant of choice back then was this liquid Orvis stuff that came in a small bottle. Well after spending a minute or two coloring up my fly to fool an entomologist, I discovered that when I dipped it in the floatant, the solvent in the floatant washed away all of the color. :oops:

Later I discovered that the oils & acids in my skin & sweaty hands also removed some of the coloring so no matter what, I had olive/brown colored fingertips that made me look like a 5 pack a day cigarette smoker.

The only permanent thing about the markers is I still have most of them and they haven't dried out after decades of sitting tightly capped in the dumb idea bin in my basement.

Maybe the solvent in the markers made me lightheaded and delusional regarding this epiphany but that was the messiest and stupidest idea I ever came up with. :)

Carrying different colored markers was a THING back in the 1980's that I decided to embrace in my first attempt to simplify things to reduce the number of flies I carried. For a short time when I wore a vest, I actually tied all of my dry flies WHITE and colored them as needed with fancy Chartpak permanent markers.

I stashed multiple markers in my vest in different shades of brown, olive, grey, yellow, orange & brown and I would take out the right color(s) and color a generic "white" fly of the correct size to match the naturals.

Well, first off permanent markers ain't so permanent...

This was in the days before Frog Fanny so my floatant of choice back then was this liquid Orvis stuff that came in a small bottle. Well after spending a minute or two coloring up my fly to fool an entomologist, I discovered that when I dipped it in the floatant, the solvent in the floatant washed away all of the color. :oops:

Later I discovered that the oils & acids in my skin & sweaty hands also removed some of the coloring so no matter what, I had olive/brown colored fingertips that made me look like a 5 pack a day cigarette smoker.

The only permanent thing about the markers is I still have most of them and they haven't dried out after decades of sitting tightly capped in the dumb idea bin in my basement.

Maybe the solvent in the markers made me lightheaded and delusional regarding this epiphany but that was the messiest and stupidest idea I ever came up with. :)
I too used permanent markers to change colors of flies at one time. Back in the 80's, Bob Sentiwany from AA Outfitters came up with a fly body material called "flyte", I believe (it was actually just Tyvek material like the material used for FedEx envelopes and shredded into thin sections). Anyway, the idea was to tie all your fly bodies with it (it was white) and use permanent markers to color the body. Read Bamboozles post above to guess what happened. I still use markers for tying here and there to color things on flies depending on the material, but for the most part their usefulness is limited.

Back