Cheap Wading Boots (and/or Other Gear)?

hooker-of-men

hooker-of-men

I don't want to hijack the current hiking thread, but it got me thinking: I've been shopping for new wading boots and I'm curious if there is a go-to place online for discounted/sale/last-year's-overstock gear. I've never bought much fishing stuff online in the past, but my local shops haven't had many offerings in the budget department lately. Any suggestions where deals can be had beyond Cabela's would be appreciated.

I tried to do some searching to see if there is a "current sales/cheap gear" thread in one of the subforums, but I don't see anything. (I lurk other forums for non-fishing activities that do a sticky of something like this; maybe that would be useful if there are enough cheapskates like me here?).

I'm frugal as well. I frequently check Cabelas bargain cave. Also sign up for fly shop newsletters (like TCO) as they send out discounted items lists.

The fly fishing show in NJ also has some good deals every January. If you're patient, good deals can be easily had. I would think the next 3-5 months should have some good "end of season" deals at various places. Enjoy the hunt!

I do a lot of my outdoor clothing/gear shopping on Sierra Trading Post. Sign up for their email deal flyer thing and you'll get an almost daily email with a code for additional discounts beyond the already discounted website prices.

It's generally outgoing lines of name brand stuff, and works out to generally about half price vs. the original retail price. They don't always have your size in everything as they're buying closeouts, but the deals are very good when they do.

I've gotten Columbia PFG fishing shirts for under $30 and their Omni-Freeze long sleeve T's for under $20 for example.

Never bought wading boots from them, but they do have them.

This spring, I drove to the Yellow Breeches (45 min.) only to discover my wading boots were at home. So I drove to Walmart and bought a pair of leather work boots with a rubber type sole. I had the screws I put in my boots and the socket wrench with me so I put the screws in and used the boots. I used these boots all summer on about 20 all day fishing trips. Including some rough wading on the Little J. These boots cost $20.00 and they were not on sale. The stiching is just starting to come loose at the top of one of the lacers. They are still very useable. Can't beat the price and you could buy a new pair every season and still save money over most other "wader boots".

I did the same as the above poster, boots lasted about 1 season, however, when they did go I ruined my booties and had to get new waders.

I dropped money on Korkers and have been happy ever since. With something like boots it's hard to buy online due to sizing.

The places I have found some good deals online were more or less by chance when I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but just happened to come across them.
The online stores I check from time to time are:
- LLBean's online sale page
- mrfc.com the online "clearance specials" page (They have a ton of merchandise on discount, but I haven't yet purchased from them though...)
- bobmarriottsflyfishingstore.com (i have used them either, but I have seen some good deals. They currently seem to have a couple deals on boots)
- troutsflyfishing.com (I have bought from them - I had no issues...)
- I used flyshopcloseouts.com twice too, but that site is down I think. I phoned in my orders.

Other than that I head to local fly shops and cabelas.

Good luck in your quest!

Flyshopcloseouts is done. I called and he's sold off all his stock.

Back