Cheap Rods & Gear You Are Proud to Own

Ya know, while I was waiting for my 3wt to get here, I went to Walmart and bought a eagle claw, 8'6" 5wt(cheapest they had other than the yellow one)black eagle. Great little rod, I even landed a carp with it, and tonight a 24" walleye. Though I have come to find that walleye are weak fighters :-(

I like this forum because there is alot of garbage out on the market. And for a beginner to learn to appreciate the art of flyfishing without spending a few days wages - they now have a couple of ideas and what to look for in a flyrod and gear just from reading this forum.

My Renegade 5/6wt fly rod. My daughter broke the tip one day and I replaced the tip and it works fine. It was an 8'6" and now it's a 8'2". I may have paid $30.00 for it about 5 years ago at Walmart. Bought a Shakespear same timeframe...It was too heavy to use more than 20 casts - so I used it for a while as a walking stick.

2 thumbs up!

I got 2 Pfleuger 1778 reels @ Sports Authority on closeout for$15.00 each in Oct., 2010. They balance well with both my sage 8'6" 5/6 weight and Featherlite 7' 5/6 weight. The fishing i do rarely, if ever requires a drag. Maybe I'll find they fail on this year's stock rainbows, although they've performed well on a few larger stockers already. I also really enjoy the Featherlite.

Squatch, that was the reel I had @ Valley w/ Fade. I kind of like gear I don't have to worry about breaking or losing.

Yeah I remember! That was a nice reel. I bet it balanced that Eagle Claw real nice.

Since then, my Medalist broke haha! Not the actual reel, but the piece that keeps my reel in the reel seat of my rod. Suck. Now I'm using that Martin Mountain Brook reel on my glass. Its certainly heavy enough.

My name's hump D, please allow me to bump thee.

Anyone try the new vinyl style Hodgeman hippers they sell at Wal-mart ?

I had the old style rubber ones, so friggin heavy, uncomfortable.

Bought the new style last year and they are great. They are really lightweight and keep you dry. They weigh half as much as the old rubber style and are only $35 or $40. Tuck into a small backback easily. Only thing is wear some thick socks or something for added comfort.

My little cheapo that I really like is my 6'11" 4 weight L.L. Bean Streamlight Ultra rod...got it on sale with free shipping and used a free $10 gift card...brought that rod down to like $60...it's a little rocket of a rod!

Big-Bass wrote:
My little cheapo that I really like is my 6'11" 4 weight L.L. Bean Streamlight Ultra rod...got it on sale with free shipping and used a free $10 gift card...brought that rod down to like $60...it's a little rocket of a rod!

The 5'9" 3wt is a sweet little rod too.

I used to spend on Sage rods. Then I tried a Cortland GRX (older rod) about 6 or 7 years ago. They cast equally or better. They don't have the fancy trimmings like rosewood reel seats, but who cares. For less than 1/4 the cost, new, I fish rods that are just as good, imo. I have a 4 weight 7.5', a 7 weight 9' and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

6'6" older cabela traditional 2w, got it for $45 used. Great and fast little caster. Anyone wants to sell one pm me please... Id buy another one decent shape $100 if I can find it

k-bob wrote:
6'6" older cabela traditional 2w, got it for $45 used. Great and fast little caster. Anyone wants to sell one pm me please... Id buy another one decent shape $100 if I can find it
Still looking, huh?

Have you seen the TFO 5ft 1/2wt?

That might too short even for me

lovin the eagle claw featherlight 6'6". Bought it as a last resort cheapie so I could keep fishin, been lovin it ever since. Thinking about buying a larger one now ha.

I notice a few pages back there is a discussion on LED flashlights.

These things are amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9PK4WK/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 for $25

I carelessly left my minimag led flashlight on overnight... Still has same batteries and works great

years ago i used to use a martin classic fly reel .It,s a click and pawl cheap reel, but I really liked it. The last one I had got dropped and crank handle bent and is very wobbly so i've been looking for a spool. I looked all over and did'nt find any finally tried ebay and found a 54 reel for 24.00 I bought that and matched it to my new redington 5 wt. went back on ebay and found what I was originally looking for a spool for a martin classic 65 so I bought it for 9.99 i"m really happy. I like ebay.tight lines, john

Back