Cheap Rods & Gear You Are Proud to Own

Archaic? Rarely use a light but when I do it is a head lamp. I see these people that bring giant lanterns camping and laugh to myself. Headlamp is all I ever seemed to need- then again I am not playing cards on the picnic table. Usually too busy bs'ing or drinking but likely both.

I have a lantern, and I use it while camping, but not that often. I could get away without it easily. I also have a headlamp, it's nice for standing in the stream and tying on a fly at twilight or shortly after. But I like having a flashlight with a beam for walking at night. Hunting, we go in at 4 a.m., looking for blazes on tree's and those bright eye reflector things. Fishing, after you're half a mile in and fished till 10 p.m., you gotta find your way back to your car, including looking ahead for the best path. Thats when a beam light comes in handy.

I guess my issue is that a cheap incandescent >>> a cheap LED in my experience.

I have never tried an LED that costs anything more than a few bucks. The lower end ones suck.

Akid, I like to have a good bright flashlight, dim ones are just as important for hunting, as well as a dim red light as well. Coleman also has a model that has three settings W, R, B. White has 115 lumens, red has only 3 lumens and a blue light for spotting blood drops.

Also my GF manages a pizza shop, sometimes she has to deliver pizza's when she uses my 3 million candlepower spotlight to check addresses it kinda brings complete daylight to the neighborhood she's in, which isn't too cool. These LED's are perfect for her as well. easy to handle, small powerful. Not spotlight powerful though.

she has to deliver pizza's when she uses my 3 million candlepower spotlight to check addresses it kinda brings complete daylight to the neighborhood she's in, which isn't too cool.

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't be. lol. I worry enough about shining headlights at peoples houses as I drive. But purposely shining a dang 3 million candlepower spotlight, well, thats something new altogether!

I have a spotlight that I like to use at green drake time. I am not sure if it puts fish down, but they begin rising pretty much as soon as you turn it off. It's nice for trying to figure out where the trail was on the way out.

I just found this thread. Fun stuff!

I love my Fenwick (free) paired w/ my Medalist 1495. Same with my Phillipson (free...) and my Heddon 310 reel.

Also have an old Martin Mountain Brook reel that I LOVE. Its pretty much my go to 5/6 reel. Its been around forever. Landed small and large fish on it.

Everything I fish with is pretty cheap. Once I got into the "vintage" gear, I realized that inexpensive does not equate cheaply made.

Cabelas CGR glass 7' 4/5 rod.

I've been eyeing up that rod. Any of the glass guys have experience with it? Thoughts?

I love my redington pursuit outfit, 4 piece, rip main line line, the reel is half plastic but has taken my abuse, and the case is super tough! I really cant say enough about this combo, great med/fast action. And the 8wt has no problem hooking up to carp! Awesome purchase to say the least!

My experience as an avid night fisherman in florida,
Kayaking up river in the dark and landing on islands for a pit stop?
Pay the piper and get a top end LED.
Flashlights and lanterns are obsolete.
You can pinpoint reef islands hundreds of yards away.
Cheap gear~ phillies blunt cigars~ were a dime,now 40 cents when bought in bulk.
Everything else,top of line.
Some things are sacred.

I still have my very first fly rod and reel from the sixties that I bought from Grant's dept. stores. Its a bright red in color with 5 guides 7'6" for a 6 wt. I think. decals are preatty much gone..

Got my first fly rod and reel from this store in Whitehall, PA, in the 1960's.

It was a white Shakespeare "Wonder Rod" - 6wt, with a Medalist reel. Caught a lot of fish with that rod! Sadly, I have neither the rod, nor the reel. I came home from college one day to discover Dad used the rod to hold up tomato plants in the garden. He explained that the guides were really handy to tie off the stalks. :roll:

Dang, we're old Bob!

Attachments

• Two Guys.jpg
    Two Guys.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 5
Two Guys! Sweet! I remember the store fondling growing up in No. NJ. Blast from the past.

My first Fly rod was a wonder rod, handed down from my grandfather. I had another that was a combo fly and spinning rod. Loved that one for throwing small spinners a country mile with deadly accuracy.

Also inherited a couple of henddon glass and two phillipson bamboo rods. Broke one boo rod as a youth riding on my bike to the stream. The other I kept and is in my tying room. Brings up a question. Does anyone know of a way (case, something i could buy?) to display the rod?

Just grabbed a 8' 5wt cabelas three forks mis match brown bottom green tip cant beat 10 bucks gotta watch the cave

My Tree Bark goretex rain jacket. Bought it when I used to archery hunt. Now it's strictly a fishing jacket. It's my outer layer in the cold weather. Has a hood and breaks the wind real well. I've had it for 27 years. A wash and spray down with ReviveX keeps it going.

I am a big Ross Reels fan but recently got a great deal on an LLBean Orion #4. $25 for the reel and I've pick up spools over the past few months for 1/2 that. Works great for most of my fishing, especially from the kayak.
Unfortunately, I did not make sure the spool "clicked" onto the spindle. I was fishing the Point Pleasant canal at midnight during an epic cinderworm hatch and on the second false cast, the spool went flying into the canal, never to be seen again. Had to to kiss the spool goodbye but was able to salvage the line. If that had been a spool for one of my Ross reels, I would've been pi$$ed!
Another inexpensive reel that has done well for me, is the SA System 1 #456. It's a clicker reel and after 15 years, it still works flawlessly.

My 6'6" eagleclaw featherlight. love that little rod

Uhhh yeah! Don't blame you. Love that rod, too! Its glass, its yellow, and it takes a beating. What's not to love?

Back