Cheap Rods & Gear You Are Proud to Own

Cabela's had unnamed fly rods in the Bargain Cave a few weeks ago with a sticker on them that read 905-2, which I assumed meant 9 ft, 5 weight, 2 piece. Very nice cosmetics, brown woven graphite reel seat. They were test rods given to Cabela's to get their fly fishing employee's opinion without knowing who the manufacturer was. Still had the plastic wrap on the grip. So I offered them $60 (they were labeled $75), which they accepted, and I took one home to test. I Liked it so much I went back the next day and bought one for my son.

I wondered about those, they had a couple different models, IIRC, the green ones and the brown ones.

I had figured they were LST blanks without the writing, but I think your answer is more intriguing.

Gfen, several employees confirmed the same story. Turned out to be one of the sweetest casting rods I own, and I own pretty many from Sage, Leonard, Thomas and Thomas, Orvis, and others.

i think they were unlabeled redington RS4s, original retail of $169

HI bamboo fly rod that I got whlie cleaning out a house.Really old bamboo flyrod with 2 tips,one is a wire guidetip and an agate tip guide. Both free.

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
I keep telling myself to grab one of those Three Forks before it is too late.

And that exact model too.

the combo's go on sale all of the time...I picked up that rod combo (w/reel & line/backing) last winter for $59!

I only use the top of the line stuff, so I am out of this discussion.

Most of my gear is cheap and much of it old.
I suppose in answer to this thread I'd cite my Downs chest fly box. I bought it in 1983 (can't remember what I paid for it but it wasn't expensive). I've since customized it extensively but it still goes with me whenever I'm trout fishing (except brookie hiking) and stays in my car all year round. Its needed some minor repairs but has proven very tough and reliable.

JackM wrote:
I only use the top of the line stuff, so I am out of this discussion.

Come one Jack, we all know you still have your first communion money. :) My favorite cheap rod is my main trout rod, which I built from around 25 bucks worth of clearance components. If my math is correct, which I doubt it is, I should be hitting my 5000th trout on it this fall. The sad part is it's been over 4500 for about 2 or 3 years now. Oh well, when the boy's a few years older I'll be back to fishing a couple hundred days a year and then I can rack up the numbers. A few other bargains are my pair of 7WT's that were built for about 35 bucks and the $250 rainshadow 12/13WT blank that I got for $12.95 a few years ago. I really have no use for it until I get back down to chase tarpon, but $12.95? Kinda sold itself. :-D

Boyer

ok,let me just toss out one.i get LOTS of deals as many of you know.

one of my favorite rods is a glass 8ft. daiwa 4 weight.i got it for a dollar ninety nine.

ok,one more.i buy level line often because it roll casts so well.i get lots of new level line for three or four dollars when i see it at towne auction in connecticut.

i also am a savvy ebayer and get some deals that i should feel guilty for!

Ok,Jack,a funnel along with 2 bottles? What gives,switching the hooch ?tongue in cheek re: top class stuff?Ok I get it?

All of it.

I don't own any expensive fishing gear.

ocean city reels, shakesphere sigma 7'6' 5 wt early grafite, my 2 5'2' and 6' fenwicks, my anti reverse medalist reels.

I had figured they were LST blanks without the writing, but I think your answer is more intriguing.

100% confident that they are LST's, not Redington. The codes match the LST, the color matches the LST, the single foot guides match the LST, guide wraps same color as LST. They had the big honking LST's as well, like 13' or something guess they were spey rods? Plus it would only make sense that Cabelas would have a prototype of a rod they sell with their name on it.

now jack how can you have all top of the line equipment but are always taking pics of CHEAP whisky?

Ran into a great sale this week got 2 powell timax 4 piece 6 wt and 8wt rods priced at 300.00 a piece got them for 30.00 a piece.
Frogg togg chest waders for 25.00 a piece all new in box.

My Martin Mountain Brooks reel that came with my first combo. I still use it heavily and recently looked online. You can get then for as cheap as $17, but I prefer it over a lot of more expensive reels.

I found an Orvis Magnalite Multiplier reel the other day in my basement in new condition. Forgot I had it. Paid about $25 for it years ago. I put a 7 weight line on it and fished for smallmouth with it. Worked out great, love the 2:1 retreive. I saw one on line for $195 with the original owners name engraved on it (which to me devalues it) and no original case.

I'm also a major fan of Medalist reels. They are what I started with 50 years ago. To me, they are an icon, like a Buck 110.

Not too long ago I picked up a 2010 model Eagle Claw Featherlight, very nice looking rod (if you like yellow) and fishes surprisingly well for a $30 rod

EC1.jpg

I keep one of those as the knockaround car rod, equipped with the junky cast reel that my starter combo came with.

I haven't really been able to dial it in to a point that it makes me happy, mostly because I've only ever bothered trying it with junky old lines that are probably better suited for the dumpster.

But, whatever. It still catches fish, and its always there.

Back