Cedar Run Camp Hill, Pa.

M

Mking5

Anyone ever heard of Cedar Run in Camp Hill? Anyone ever fished it?

Never fished it.
But read about it in Vince Marinaros books.

Small limestoner
And apparently, back in the day, it used to be pretty good.
It was one of his favorites.

According to more recent info I read, it really went downhill.
And seem to recall it being mostly on private land and posted now, anyway.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it really winds around through private property and commercial areas. I'm guessing it flows into the breeches. Looks like a nice native stream though. I'd love to find a place to get in and explore it.

I fished it once when I was in high school. I graduated from Camp Hill High School in 1977. I grew up in the borough of Camp Hill from 5th grade through high school, prior to that, I lived on the York County side of the Yellow Breeches.

I know the area.

At the time, I caught my largest trout ever. Given how little I knew then, and how much more I know now at age 63, I am guessing that I caught a stocked brown trout that swam upstream from the Yellow Breeches.

That was a long time ago. Regardless of whether it was a stocked trout or not, but probably was, it was an 18 inch trophy for a boy who was a Junior high school.

I fished it once when I was in high school. I graduated from Camp Hill High School in 1977. I grew up in the borough of Camp Hill from 5th grade through high school, prior to that, I lived on the York County side of the Yellow Breeches.

I know the area.

At the time, I caught my largest trout ever. Given how little I knew then, and how much more I know now at age 63, I am guessing that I caught a stocked brown trout that swam upstream from the Yellow Breeches.

That was a long time ago. Regardless of whether it was a stocked trout or not, but probably was, it was an 18 inch trophy for a boy who was a Junior high school.
Nice. Great story. Thanks.

Used to fish it a lot in '90s and early 2000s. It has gone completely dry in drought years. The last time I fished it in 2009, there was a small population of wild rainbows interspersed with wild browns. Some quality fish to be found if you put in the work. Spotty access. It's seen better days just like Trindle Spring Run.

Used to fish it a lot in '90s and early 2000s. It has gone completely dry in drought years. The last time I fished it in 2009, there was a small population of wild rainbows interspersed with wild browns. Some quality fish to be found if you put in the work. Spotty access. It's seen better days just like Trindle Spring Run.
Thanks for the info. I might give it a try when it gets warmer.

It flows through the prison and remember not that long ago guys from TU netting fish in the prison property as it dried up.

I too remember reading stories about nice sized browns eating sulphurs. I drive by it at least a dozen times a year. Always take a peek and wonder what is was like. Urbanization killed cedar, silver spring, trindle spring, hogestownn and probably a few other ones. Somehow, letort survives in spite of poisoning, sink holes, hot run off from parking lots, etc. Pretty amazing

I grew up in Green Lane Farms not far from where Cedar Run dumps into the Breeches. Fished it a handful of times in the past 10 years. Cedar Run used to have a small wild brown populations as I understand up through even as recent as 2005-10, but the stream has been plagued recently by sink holes, which isn’t surprising given all the development around it as well as the quarries. I’m pretty sure the stream downstream from the prison is now mostly devoid of trout other than maybe a few stockers that come up from the Breeches.

It flows through the prison and remember not that long ago guys from TU netting fish in the prison property as it dried up.

I too remember reading stories about nice sized browns eating sulphurs. I drive by it at least a dozen times a year. Always take a peek and wonder what is was like. Urbanization killed cedar, silver spring, trindle spring, hogestownn and probably a few other ones. Somehow, letort survives in spite of poisoning, sink holes, hot run off from parking lots, etc. Pretty amazing
good info. thanks.

We lived on Juniper Drive in Green Lane Farms, which dead ends at the Yellow Breeches. At least it did the last time I was there many years ago. I was always in the woods or fishing the Yellow Breeches.

Green Lane Farms isn't too far upstream from the mouth in New Cumberland, but much farther downstream from Boiling Springs. Primarily warm water fishing.

Way back then in the 1960's, I played with footballs, basketballs, and baseballs with the other boys in the neighborhood. When I wasn't doing that, I was turning over rocks and logs while exploring the local woods, or fishing the Yellow Breeches.

As the other "old timers" like me know, there were only three TV stations way back then, and no internet or video games to entertain young boys. We played with balls or in the woods exploring or fishing.

I always had a bad case of Poison Ivy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and information.

Sorry to read most of this. 80 - 90 years ago when Marinaro fished it and wrote about it, it must have been something. He writes of big browns surface-feeding on sulphurs. That it dries up now is truly sad. I imagine the horror that the State College area has become is going to adversely affect things there, too. Other little limestoners in farm country are already badly affected by liquid manure run-off. Locally, two streams pretty much completely lost their sulphurs just last year, probably b/c of liquid manure run-off. So sad.

Back