CDC Winged Wet Flies

T

Tiogadog

While tying some caddis flies this weekend, an idea occurred to me. When I tie my normal caddis dries, I do not use hackle. Instead, I use an under wing of cdc with elk or deer hair over top of that. As I was tying in the cdc, I wondered why I never tie any soft hackle wet flies with a wing of cdc. Time prohibited me from doing so, but I think I will this week.

Imagine a lead winged coachmen style wet, but instead of mallard quill wings you have a bundle of cdc fibers. I am sure they will work.

Anyone ever try this?

I have used cdc on quite a few of my wet fly patterns for quite sometime. The cdc works very well on my sulphur pattern. It all depends on what fly line I am using at the time of where it is setting in the film or a little deeper. Also what I like about using the cdc for the wing is it has lots of movement.

Thanks for the insight. I think I will tie a few up in different color schemes to try out.

I've been doing this for a long time. Works great. I have found that the oiler puffs are super simple to use for this application. Try this pattern:

Dark dun oiler puff
Peacock body
Gold rib
Partridge soft hackle

Slays fish during the grandmother hatch.

Thanks! That is pretty much the pattern I had in mind.

I will probably stick to the regular cdc feathers if only for the fact I have so many of them.

CDC wet wings are really soft and mobile. Try them on any sort of emerger, but I have had very good luck with them as wings on Zebra midges tied like a RS2.

Winding a turn of CDC like a hackle works well too. Try it on a PT or a glass bead caddis.

Back