Caddis Pupae

F

Fishidiot

It's that time of year....rumors of grannoms; days are getting longer. Anyway, I enjoy fishing caddis hatches and, I suppose like many of you, tend to catch most of my fish sub surface. Of course, traditional soft hackle wets fished in the traditional swinging manner are real killers when the caddis are active. I enjoy trying to replicate certain bugs and fishes a bit more closely purely for my own satisfaction (I doubt it really makes any difference in catching) and here's an example of one of my favorite styles for imitating caddis pupae. I think the key is to keep the fly buggy and scruffy. This combined with picked out sparkle yarn results in a halo affect that resembles the swept back legs, air bubbles, and low slung wing stubs that, when combined, create the impression of caddis pupae.

HOOK: #14 nymph
BODY: tan chenille
WINGS: goose primary tips
THORAX: red squirrel mixed with "Ice Dubbing" (picked out)
LEGS: tan dyed mallard flank
HEAD: olive dubbing

I like these flies unweighted and fish 'em pretty high in the water column. Here's to the upcoming caddis season. :)

Attachments

• caddis pupae.jpg
    caddis pupae.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 11
Really nice fly FI! Is this an experimental pattern or has it hit the water?

I've used this fly, or subtle variations of it (beadhead version for example) over the years and they've been good producers for me. Part of the problem I've had is resisting the temptation to tie 'em on ever larger hooks. Smaller sizes (#14 and under) have worked best for me. A version with green abdomen has also been very good to me.

Nice fly FI. I will have to give that a try.

I wish there were rumors of Grannoms up here. We're still dealing with run-off and melt. I saw ONE Hendrickson yesterday and a bunch of tiny stones.....

Fishidiot wrote:
It's that time of year....rumors of grannoms;

Let's hear those rumors... :)

troutbert wrote:
Fishidiot wrote:
It's that time of year....rumors of grannoms;

Let's hear those rumors... :)

I saw 'em tonight (11 April) on a warm water creek in Cumberland Co while bass fishing. No fish rising.

I wish there were rumors of Grannoms up here. We're still dealing with run-off and melt. I saw ONE Hendrickson yesterday and a bunch of tiny stones.....

where did you see hendricksons sender? I believe you but it seems a bit early for up here in CNY.

I saw one on Nine Mile on Friday. I thought it was early for them to, but they were VERY sporadic and they seemed the right color/size. They were maybe a little bit on the dark side for Hendricksons, but I'm not too familiar with hatches there and it seemed to be a close match. It definitely was not an Olive.

it was a Red Quill, HEPTAGENIIDAE Epeorus pleuralis Red Quill F Mahogeny Brown/ Yellow Rib sz. 12 E. Pine Creek Color 04/11/11 11am-3pm
Early version of quill gordon only red in color.

Back