Cabela's Fly Rods

E

eggman

I just bought my 11 year old an 8' 5 wt. Three Forks rod from Cabela's. It's his first fly rod. I got the combo with the Ross reel spooled with 4/5 WF line, backing and a leader for $100. I took it out in the yard last night and it casts really nice. Anybody have any Cabela's rods? Any feedback on them?

I think in the past a lot of us, me included, have mentioned owning Cabels's rods. I think most of us were pretty pleased. I remember a few guys saying that that Three Forks rod was a pretty good rod for the money.

Yeah, it seems to be built really well. The reel seat hardware is all aluminum as well as the reel. For $100 it seems to be a great deal.

I've built a good number of fly rods with Cabelas blanks and have always been pleased with them. To be sure, I rarely cast or own "better" rods from big name companies so I don't have the best sense of comparison.

I to really like my Cabela's rod. I can't compare it to any high rods as it is my only one but suits me just fine for the price.

I think I might pick up the genesis combo seems pretty nice and it come with a buttload of stuff.

I have an older model Cabela's fly rod that I use for Steelhead. I've been very pleased with the performance and quality so far. Got it as a gift several years ago and have recommended similar setups to two friends who have also been pleased with it. Different size/wt but same rod. I have heard good things here about other Cabelas rods here.

Chetty:

I bought the Genesis package 3 years ago and I'm still using it. It's a 5wt 8' 6" 4 piece. I use it for trout, bass, carp. It's great for starting out because it comes with everything you need and it's extremely cheap for the quality and amount of accessories you get with it. The only complaints I have is that the chest pack is way to small and the reel is not the best quality. Thats it. I would definitely recommend buying it. If you have any questions let me know.

Genesis has a plastic reel seat. I'd go 3 forks or Cahill if you want to go cheap. Browse their site for deals. Forget all the junk you get with a cheap rod.

That aluminum reel seat is why I went with the 3 Forks over the Genesis. Then add the Ross reel and for $100 you have a solid set up. I think he'll be able to use that rod for years to come.

With the Genesis and another $50 he could have had all the accessories too, but I figure I can get most of that stuff minus the flies & rod case for around $50 anyway. I already have a couple rod cases, so that works out. I'm sure he'll go through my fly boxes this weekend too....I was never one for buying the "trout assortement" fly collection anyway. Half of them won't ever be used.

I appreciate the feedback guys. Thanks!

Cabelas is having a sale on a bunch of their rods and rod/reel combos. I really like their PT+, which is also made in the USA. Looks like they're got some good deals.

I have the PT+ in a 9', 5wt 4 piece, medium/moderate action, and I'm very happy with it.

Cabela's gets their equipment from someone else, its usually so cheap because its either bought in bulk, or its missing the "real" vendor's name or both.

I had an LST, and I thought it was well constructed and a good rod, I just decided the action wasn't for me. I'd buy another Cabela's rod if it met my requirements, and am in fact planning on picking up a Three Forks 3wt someday.

Same for their reels. I've still got, but I don't use, a LSR #1. Its a good reel, and was fine for my purposes, except I just decided I didn't want a mid-arbour disc drag for my purposes, but a standard arbour click-pawl reel.

My surf rod and reel is a Cabela's Salt Striker SSM, and it appears the reel is just a rebadged Okuma. Like my other Cabela's equipment, its dependable and backed by a killer garuntee. It just lacks in "snob appeal" by not having a brand name. That may or may not be an issue for you (I actually felt ridiculous being a poster child for Cabela's on the water, as much as I would if I were dolled out head-to-toe in Orvis gear, yes, I am that vain).

I didn't read through all of the replies on the thread, but I have a 9ft 7Wt 3 Forks and it works like a much higher dollar rod than one would think. Good line of low cost rods. Match them up with the right line and reel and it's great equipment as a primary rod or back up.

i bought the genesis combo last year. as an active fisherman but new to fly fishing who was trying to keep costs down; the bang for your buck allure was too much.

granted you can tell it's not a sage combo lol- but it serves the purpose very well. i fish alone and self teach by reading stuff and trying and failing- so i treat my fly fishing like my golf game- buy a trustworthy beginner's product and don't upgrade until you can consistently make the fly/ball go where you want it to go. hahaha- i'm very happy with the set up and would recommend it to others.

I have a Cabelas LST 9' 5w that I really like. Its the first rod I've owned that cost over $100. I really enjoy its action on the larger rivers and creeks I fish.

Went to Cablea's last night to replace the Matrix rod I broke at Wyomissing last week. I had a PT series 6' 4wt that I loved and sold to WG Miller after 3 years of service. I had a 7' 3wt at one time and loved that. Anytime I ever broke one they replaced it, no questions asked.

Anyway, I went to buy either a 6'6" 2wt or the 7' 3wt PT+. Both are out of stock everywhere and Cabela's does not know when they are coming in. The manufacture will not tell them anything.
So I asked about the LST series in a 6'6" 4wt. The salesman did not recommend it. He said the LST rods are coming back left and right broken. He thinks there is something wrong in the manufacture process and that is way they are breaking. He also thinks that is why they are not getting the PT+ series in also. They've been on back ordered for over 2 months.

I have a trip coming up to Lake Placid in 2 weeks and need a rod. Looking at something in the 6'6" to 7' 3" - 2wt-4wt 2 piece range and having a hell of a time staying in my price range. I don't like the options in the Bass Pro line either.

The 3wt 7'6" three forks rod has quite a fan club on usenet.

I just ordered a 9' 8 wt L-tech. I'm going to start fishing the lower Oswayo for pike and musky and thought I could use it for steelie's and carp as well. The L-tech was on sale for $160 and with a couple other rebates I ended up getting it for $100 shipped. Every review I read on it says it's one of the best quality fly rods Cabela's has sold to date. I can't wait to get it and try it. I'll post again to let you know how it works out.

Anybody own an L-tech?

Spectorfly,

Check out the St. Croix Imperial line. Solid rods for a pretty reasonable price.

-BG

Gomes,

I just took a look. Nice price. they have a 7'6" 4wt 2 piece. Too long and too heavy. I think I want a 3wt. They also have a 7' 3wt 4 piece. Too many pieces. I'm picky. Well not really. I just know what I want. 2, maybe 3 piece rod in those weights and sizes.

Back