boots or not. super wader fun time question mark

gfen wrote:
dunno, to be honest haven't cared to look. my junk held up just fine. now it hasn't held up just fine. the sole of the boot falling off has rendered moot my current method of incasing feet in plastic bags and slathering every seam with fish tank sealant, though.

Shoegoo fixes sole falling off.

JackM wrote:
I recommend the 3 mil, 42 Gallon contractor bags. If you need to save even more, buy the generic.

Those are pretty pricey, even in volume at Home Depot or Lowes. Food Lion grocery bags ftw!

My opinions on the advantages of stockingfoot waders + wading boots:

1. Longevity. Both wading boots and waders wear out. Honestly, the timeline has been about the same for me. However, it does separate the issues, so that if one wears out, you don't replace both. Plus, for drying, separation is good. Open up the boots, even get boot dryers. Turn the waders inside out, etc. Extends the life of both.

2. Better boot. Most bootfoots are pretty poor shoes as far as comfort/support. There are a few that are good, but those generally cost as much or more than as the stockingfoot/wading boot combo anyway.

3. Versatility. I've gotten to the point where I have several wading boots and stockingfoot waders. Choice is a good thing. For boots, I have "mostly rubber", good support, hiking type for the backcountry trips. I have studded felt for the slickest places. I have an old backup pair (another advantage, even when you upgrade, you can keep old boots as backups). For people who do the salt thing, you can have a pair of flats boots too.

For waders, I have breathable chest, breathable hip, and wetwading neoprene angle socks. Lots of people also have neoprene chest waders for cold weather.

So when I go fishing, I can mix and match the boot-wader combo to fit what I'm doing, which IMO is a MAJOR advantage.

jdaddy wrote:
Shoegoo fixes sole falling off.

These aren't Simms, sir. Also, they may beyond ShooGoo at this point. When I tossed 'em into the garage, I witnessed what appeared to be the entire rear half of the sole seperate from the upper.

No, I do believe they've officially died. Maybe some duct tape'll keep them together for the fall ocean trips, and a pair of kitchen trashbags for my legs' comfort, but this is the end.

I recommend keeping an emergency pair of boots in the trunk of your usual fishing vehicle. I forgot my boots once and saved the day with an old pair of boots I kept in the car.

It is not recommended by most manufacturers of stocking foot waders to use them without boots attached. May even void the best of warranties.

I've ruined trips with that. I ruined a trip I actually drove out of my comfort zone for. How's that hit you?

I use boot foot. I'm really hard on waders, I walk through thorns, crawl over logs, etc. I don't want to worry about tearing an expensive pair of waders. When they are used up, I chuck them and get a new pair. You can usually find a pair from Cabela's for 50 bucks. If they last two years, that's a 25 dollar investment per year. That's ok by me.

gfen wrote:

How's that hit you?

It makes me rather sad, running through the daiseys. Now you carry an extra pair of boots, then?

if I had an extra pair, I wouldn't be asking for a compelling reason to buy new waders without stocking feet, eh?

I'm gonna have to spend money, though. That makes me truly sad.

Comfort. Always high on my list.

I only like bootfoot for very cold conditions- keeps your feet a tad warmer.

Never had a pair of stocking foot waders as they made no sense IMHO.
Get the cabelas neoprenes with boot foot-either add felt or chains and you will be able to wade across big boy rivers like the Madison,Yellowstone and Missouri.
Did fall in once while playing a very large brown.stumbled on a rock,saved the fish.

I didn't read every post, so someone probably already mentioned this, but I don't like bootfoot for long hikes to streams, stocking foot and good wading boots are just more comfortable for me when hiking in 2 or 3 miles. but, if you are more inclined to just park and fish close to the car, then bootfoots will do you just fine. also, bootfoots are "usually" warmer in cold water than stocking foots, but of course, there are always exceptions.
just use what works for you.

Yup.

Bootfoots

- easy on/off
- warmer (usually)
- best for SW fishing sandy beaches (sand gets past gravel guards)

Stocking foots w/ boots

- better for hiking (more support)
- more versatile (use different boots for different purposes and boots can be used for wet wading)
- easier to get a good fit with stocking foot (usually) since many find boot sizes and lengths do not work for all body types.

One thing I should clarify here:
My references to boot foot waders were to the older style - the ones with the molded rubber boot built into them.
Of course, they now have waders with lace up boots built in to them - with specific foot sizes.
I've never tried these, but would guess that they would offer good comfort and support also.
But I don't really see any advantages to them.
As others have mentioned, stocking foots with separate boots would be easier to travel with, and to get dried out

Back