Bonkers for Bluegill

S

Silent Ocelot

Lately due to the increased rains and skyrocketing temps I have been exploring some ponds. Thanks to a new fishing buddy I have located a reservoir relatively close to me that has some real monsters in it. I'm talking 10 inchers. My first time there I hit two 9+ inch bluegill on a size 16 black beetle. The second actually broke me off by diving under some vegetation. Imagine being broken off by a bluegill! My friend also caught one that was maybe a lb. Needless to say, I have found a great summertime fishery that doesn't seem to get attention from anyone else. I went up two more times and caught one close to 10 inches on a small chartreuse Booglebug (flat nose). My last outing, done with another fishing buddy, I was unable to get any big ones but my buddy took two on a small black Booglebug (bullet nose). I was quite envious and now have to go back for a rematch. On my first outing I tested a new 3wt 8'4" that was better for the delicate dry/dropper rigs I was tossing but insufficient for driving poppers. One thing I find interesting here is there are a lot of bluegill, they're practically the only species in the lake, minus grass carp because I caught two tiny grass carp on my last outing. The bluegill population has a ton of small ones but there's occasionally a larger one that comes along. I would think that the pond would become all small bluegill due to food scarcity due to the increase of the bluegill population. There's also snappers that follow me around, expecting me toss them a hand-out (sorry sir, not catching brown trout at the moment). It is weird how the snappers sit at my feet and stick their heads out. On my last two outings I have been using my favorite rod, a high-powered 9ft 4wt that can really get the flies out there. Not as fun to catch fish on the 4wt as opposed to the 3wt but I'll take the performance advantage. I have found that in the evening and night time the bigger fish come out to play and can be caught towards the shoreline. I have decided that a popper is the best way to fish this pond as it tends to bump off smaller fish, although I am still catching fish in the 4 inch category, and loving it. The bluegill in this reservoir are ferocious and seem to just be good at sticking to one's hook. I may bump back down to the 3wt just for more fun and to have a more delicate presentation.

All and all this is a very fun pond to fish and I am glad that I have found out bout it. I look forward to putting in serious time here and will start measuring fish to see who can catch the biggest fish. The friend who showed me the reservoir is a bass/trout/catfish angler who says he can't believe he's going for bluegill now hahaha. I enjoy catching them, in fact some of my best memories are catching big bluegill. They're good fighters for sure! Any other panfishers like to share their experiences?

Lately due to the increased rains and skyrocketing temps I have been exploring some ponds. Thanks to a new fishing buddy I have located a reservoir relatively close to me that has some real monsters in it. I'm talking 10 inchers. My first time there I hit two 9+ inch bluegill on a size 16 black beetle. The second actually broke me off by diving under some vegetation. Imagine being broken off by a bluegill! My friend also caught one that was maybe a lb. Needless to say, I have found a great summertime fishery that doesn't seem to get attention from anyone else. I went up two more times and caught one close to 10 inches on a small chartreuse Booglebug (flat nose). My last outing, done with another fishing buddy, I was unable to get any big ones but my buddy took two on a small black Booglebug (bullet nose). I was quite envious and now have to go back for a rematch. On my first outing I tested a new 3wt 8'4" that was better for the delicate dry/dropper rigs I was tossing but insufficient for driving poppers. One thing I find interesting here is there are a lot of bluegill, they're practically the only species in the lake, minus grass carp because I caught two tiny grass carp on my last outing. The bluegill population has a ton of small ones but there's occasionally a larger one that comes along. I would think that the pond would become all small bluegill due to food scarcity due to the increase of the bluegill population. There's also snappers that follow me around, expecting me toss them a hand-out (sorry sir, not catching brown trout at the moment). It is weird how the snappers sit at my feet and stick their heads out. On my last two outings I have been using my favorite rod, a high-powered 9ft 4wt that can really get the flies out there. Not as fun to catch fish on the 4wt as opposed to the 3wt but I'll take the performance advantage. I have found that in the evening and night time the bigger fish come out to play and can be caught towards the shoreline. I have decided that a popper is the best way to fish this pond as it tends to bump off smaller fish, although I am still catching fish in the 4 inch category, and loving it. The bluegill in this reservoir are ferocious and seem to just be good at sticking to one's hook. I may bump back down to the 3wt just for more fun and to have a more delicate presentation.

All and all this is a very fun pond to fish and I am glad that I have found out bout it. I look forward to putting in serious time here and will start measuring fish to see who can catch the biggest fish. The friend who showed me the reservoir is a bass/trout/catfish angler who says he can't believe he's going for bluegill now hahaha. I enjoy catching them, in fact some of my best memories are catching big bluegill. They're good fighters for sure! Any other panfishers like to share their experiences?
I frequent the blue gill pond in my front yard. Their savage stone cold fly murderers

Are they really though?

Are they really though?

Well I don't care, still gonna catch em'.

i have never been to a forum with so much native or non native talk.

just go out there and fish how you like. its fishing for gods sake. do what you enjoy.

They're good fighters for sure! Any other panfishers like to share their experiences?
I started out only fly fishing for trout. The local creek I fish is stocked with trout and most of the time the sunfish would beat the trout to the fly. It finally dawned on my that I could catch something beside trout on a fly. I enjoy fishing for bluegill. The lake I have had the most success with big bluegill has been Shohola Lake. I'm very happy when I catch bluegills that can inhale a size 6 foam bug.
P9260448 2

P5220476

P5220478

I've been fishing for these in local water reservoirs, that and baby bass will smash top water flies all day... also they love squirmy worms.

I caught a ton today kayaking for the morning, well most were small bass, mixed in with redear and bluegill....

I usually get out once a week, end up with some sort of panfish for the day. They actually taste pretty good, though they fillet small.

I'm a junky too ;)

I started out only fly fishing for trout. The local creek I fish is stocked with trout and most of the time the sunfish would beat the trout to the fly. It finally dawned on my that I could catch something beside trout on a fly. I enjoy fishing for bluegill. The lake I have had the most success with big bluegill has been Shohola Lake. I'm very happy when I catch bluegills that can inhale a size 6 foam bug.
View attachment 1641231709
View attachment 1641231710
View attachment 1641231711
Nice slabs!!! A dozen of them filleted would make a nice fish fry.

I don't care, either. My comment was on the propensity of some on this forum to label all introduced species as invasive.
Were bluegill introduced or did they just migrate? Were small ones or eggs dropped out of the sky by birds or weather events? I severely doubt they were introduced to certain watersheds by man but I am not entirely sure.

If you're trying to make the argument stating bluegill and brown trout are both invasive species I don't think you really have ground to stand on. Bluegill primarily live in ponds so they're isolated and their effects are on that exact body of water. Yes, I know they live in moving water too but they have a preference for stillwater. I have NEVER seen any documentation about bluegill having a negative impact on a certain watershed but I am also not part of the fish biologist scientific community so if someone cares to provide evidence suggesting the harmful effects bluegill have on a certain watershed and their evidence is sound I will take that as bluegill being a harmful invasive species.

Brown trout on the other hand have been proven to be harmful. Forget how high they are on the list but I think it's around 30 in a list consisting of 4000 species. This is a list I got from @Fish Sticks. That's a pretty high rating in terms of how dangerous they are. Bluegill also don't have organizations defending them and their harmful effects. Bluegill don't have people refuting scientific data about their harmful effects. I also don't think bluegill are stocked in PA and certainly not stocked in watersheds where they are displacing and ultimately eradicating other species merely by existing. I know that they take over ponds but I don't think they have been introduced by man. There isn't a multi-million dollar agency farming bluegill for the express purpose of getting more license sales and introducing bluegill into unwanted watersheds.

Ultimately bluegill aren't trout, so they don't get the same rights as trout do, so f*** em' I guess. Humans are quite good at playing god and assigning value to certain species aren't we?

I have never tried to rebrand bluegill as native or say they have no effects on native species. I don’t understand why pointing out their non native is a revelation. I fish for wild invasive brown trout too as well as non-native smallmouth(prob invasive but have not seen it investigated). I wish people could recognize all invasive/non-native species as……non native/invasive species.

Back