Beware the Pottstown Police

R

RRR

The recent posts about fishing the Schuylkill River peaked my curiosity. Been meaning to try it for years. Took a ride a couple days ago to try to find access in the Pottstown area. Checked out Towpath Park off rt. 724 below Pottstown and also the park above the Hanover St. bridge where the Manatawny empties in. The Towpath park had prominent signs stating that the park is closed from "dusk til dawn" but I didn't see any such signs at the other park. Went there last evening to give it a try. Caught half a dozen small smallmouth but nothing to get excited about. Figured I'd fish for an hour or so after dark as the bigger smallmouth often feed at night, especially when it's hot. As I was making my way back to my van around 10 PM I saw headlights in the parking lot. I got close enough to see a Pottstown policeman putting a ticket on my windshield but he left before I could make it to the lot. After I looked at the ticket, I started looking around for signs stating that you couldn't park there after dark ( which is what the ticket was for ). Finally found a small sign with the park rules on it which did state that the park is closed from "dusk til dawn". Who can tell me exactly what that would translate to in real time? Anyway, I never had a strike after it got dark but wound up contributing 10.00 to the borough of Pottstown. Seems pretty crazy to have two nice parks along the river and not allow access to the river for fishing except during the day. The Towpath park even has a nice boat ramp, just be sure you're loaded up and gone by "dusk".

RRR:

Go to:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html

You might be looking for "Civil Twilight."

Hank

Thanks for the heads-up, Triple R. I've been meaning to try the Schuylkill for smallmouth too, and I live in the Pottstown area, so I may have made the same mistake. Hopefully they are pretty liberal with the dusk and dawn timeframes, and only nab you if it's a time like 10:00pm where there's no doubt (like it's basically "dark"). I can understand the rules, considering the kinds of things you could imagine happening after dark in places like Pottstown. Actually, I think that's a common rule in most parks.

Here's a not so original idea. They could sell a park night fishing stamp. This is the idea that Harrisburg City Counsel came up with to get some cash from fishermen. I don't think it is enacted yet, but they say this is the only way to keep out the trouble makers and only let the people that want to fish be there after dark......I have an idea on that, how about if you are carring a fishing rod and have a valid fishing license, you're good to go.....................oh, then the city doesn't collect any money...........forgetaboutit!.........

I talked to the Pottstown police and they said the rule would never be changed because of all the illegal activity that takes place in the park even in broad daylight. Guess it's easier to give out parking tickets than clean up the illegal activity. I did however find an access point just above the Hanover St. bridge which gives you access to the same srtetch of river. The sign where you drive in says Montgomery County Comm. College Student Parking, however the big building to your right as you drive in is actually the headquarters for the Schuylkill River Greenways Assoc. The lady I talked to there said it was OK to park in that lot anytime of day or night. They even have a port a potty there as well as benches to sit on by the river and a pavillion. Actually a nicer set up than the Pottstown Riverfront park.

Back