Best small stream reel

MKern wrote:

I have hooked into large stockers from time to time and they too are no match for me pulling them in by hand.

Me too. In a genuinely small stream, fish don't have that far to run anyway.

I have a redington zero and a 3 Tand TF-20. I actually enjoyed using the zero in the 2/3 size. However, I have a 4/5 redington zero, and I don't know if something is wrong with it, but it backlashes way too easily. The 2/3 doesn't. The 3 Tand is cool, always wanted one because I thought they looked awesome. Got it on sale, and I fished it all summer and banged it off the rocks more than a few times. Still works and looks great.

wow! you guys are modern!!

i would use a good old tuna can like a 63 .

but a martin 60,61 or 62 would be just fine for me.

Fly-Swatter wrote:
There are some interesting responses here ranging from "line holders" to an Abel.

Many posts suggested what I think: At its most basic level, a small stream fly reel holds line. It also releases line.

Anti-backlash: When I fish small Class A streams I move fairly quickly, covering a lot of water. Many of these streams are in forests with lots of shrubs, fallen trees, rocks, etc. So, I reel in all line if I have to move around such obstructions. When I get to the next good looking spot, I quickly strip out line to cast. I found cheap click and pawl drag reels tend to backlash when I strip line out. My old Battenkill is bad about doing this. Drag is not just for playing big fish.

Drag is not just for playing big fish. This is a very good point, and one that I've often noticed, but that few people talk about.

When you are pulling line off your reel when casting, it's important that the line comes off smoothly, and that you can easily adjust the amount of tension on the drag, and that it stays where you set it. Otherwise you're constantly having to fool with it.

Also, a drag should not make an annoying noise, and some do.

So even if you never catch a fish that runs the reel, you still need a smooth drag for casting.

And with cheap reels the disc drag often doesn't work well.

If there is an inexpensive click-and-pawl reels that allows you to pull the line off smoothly, I'd like to know what it is.

Some of the old reels are too heavy.

Right now the reel I'm enjoying is a Battenkill that had a retail price of about $100 back then, but I bought it on sale for $50.

The drag works well, it's simple to use, and it's not very heavy.

There seems to be a whole array of Battenkill reels though, so I'm not sure which model this one is.

NathanLukez wrote:
I have a redington zero and a 3 Tand TF-20. I actually enjoyed using the zero in the 2/3 size. However, I have a 4/5 redington zero, and I don't know if something is wrong with it, but it backlashes way too easily. The 2/3 doesn't. ...

Regarding your comment on the backlash problem with the Zero...When I first got mine (2/3), it was part of a Butterstick combo I ordered through an online fly shop, and came spooled for right hand retrieve. I immediately discovered that the retrieve was very tight and stripping led to an overrun. I checked the instructions for handling the internal spring that controls the retrieval and it appeared to be set up correctly for RH retrieve. But after a couple of frustrating outings I decided to flip the spring and was pleasantly surprised to find that it felt MUCH better that way.I don't know why it wasn't setup correctly to begin with, but that relatively simple fix makes this reel usable. It's kind of loud for my taste, but usable. If you look at this take note that the factory installed screws are super tight and, since the guts are plastic, you'll need to be careful not to strip the clicker.

troutbert wrote:

Anti-backlash: When I fish small Class A streams I move fairly quickly, covering a lot of water. Many of these streams are in forests with lots of shrubs, fallen trees, rocks, etc. So, I reel in all line if I have to move around such obstructions. When I get to the next good looking spot, I quickly strip out line to cast. I found cheap click and pawl drag reels tend to backlash when I strip line out. My old Battenkill is bad about doing this. Drag is not just for playing big fish.

Drag is not just for playing big fish. This is a very good point, and one that I've often noticed, but that few people talk about.

When you are pulling line off your reel when casting, it's important that the line comes off smoothly, and that you can easily adjust the amount of tension on the drag, and that it stays where you set it. Otherwise you're constantly having to fool with it.

Also, a drag should not make an annoying noise, and some do.

Some of the old reels are too heavy.

These are hardly requirements. In fact, you don't need a reel at all; tenkara works just fine in small streams.

I like a reel to make a lot noise.

And heavy balances the cane and glass rods that I like to fish on small streams better. (That's really the only thing I have against tuna cans.)

Any reel that's even vaguely functional works in small streams.

I like my reels quiet. On disc drags, the "clicker" is really just a noisemaker, and doesn't serve an actual function in the reel like a click and pawl, so I just disable or remove that part.

The only reel I've had that had a disc drag that was noticeably not smooth when stripping out line was a bottom end BPS house line model...older Dogwood Canyon maybe? And I'm not 100% sure it was the reel's fault...It was my first FFing reel and I'm pretty sure I stored it for extended periods of time with the drag set. This can lead to the drag having a bit of a memory, which can feel not smooth at certain settings around the memory point. I want to say it was fine when it was new. Always store your disc drag reels with the drag backed off. Good lesson.

shakey wrote:

these are the old Martins i was referring to earlier. I like them purely for their weight or lack of it. i used to have a later model Martin I bought a a Boscov's before moving to Idaho that had a spool with an exposed rim. I think it was some kind of Browning/Martin hybrid. It was all the drag i needed. Wore it out.

I like the Sage 503L i have been using a friends until I can find one at a reasonable price.

tomgamber wrote:
shakey wrote:

these are the old Martins i was referring to earlier. I like them purely for their weight or lack of it. i used to have a later model Martin I bought a a Boscov's before moving to Idaho that had a spool with an exposed rim. I think it was some kind of Browning/Martin hybrid. It was all the drag i needed. Wore it out.

perhaps you had a martin 63ss.

it was a tuna can with a skirted spool,that gave you rim control,like a true angler would use.

sgrim,

I'll have to check that out, thank for the info

shakey wrote:

it was a tuna can with a skirted spool,that gave you rim control,like a true angler would use.

no, more like a this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/163623224707?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=163623224707&targetid=809743957825&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9006093&poi=&campaignid=6470497915&mkgroupid=80514769434&rlsatarget=pla-809743957825&abcId=1141156&merchantid=114694357&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv4bP5PX05gIVVBx9Ch2pCAthEAQYASABEgJNoPD_BwE

If you want to spend some dough get an older abel tr1, old cfo 123, old cfo 3 or new cfo 1. That martin listed above is a solid reel. I wouldnt hesitate to use that for trout on the delaware or any other big water system. Just saw someone recommended a sage 503. That one is tough to beat but its gonna cost some $$. I have a 504 two 505s a 506 and a 508. I do the vast majority if my fishing with one of those reels.

tomgamber wrote:
shakey wrote:

no, more like a this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/163623224707?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=163623224707&targetid=809743957825&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9006093&poi=&campaignid=6470497915&mkgroupid=80514769434&rlsatarget=pla-809743957825&abcId=1141156&merchantid=114694357&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv4bP5PX05gIVVBx9Ch2pCAthEAQYASABEgJNoPD_BwE

ah yes!!! i love those!!!

i have one ,marketed as an LL bean angler II .

like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-L-BEAN-ANGLER-2-FLY-REEL-1970s-USA/164016642821?hash=item2630275b05:g:9eoAAOSwTs9eB6-8

fun reels!!

for martin , "SS" stands for skirted spool

Thanks everybody for all the pointers! I agree that the drag needs to prevent backlashes which the zero does not in some instances. I was recently gifted an "Elkhorn Z .5" which is just a hair smaller than the Zero and it is a disc drag reel. It is very smooth and quiet and I can't wait to try it out although it is more of a 1/2 wt reel.

I would love to get an Abel but those are for sure out of my budget. I found a 0-3 Colorado Lt on sale so I'll probably pick it up here soon and look for a new rod to pair come summer. I really wish I could try one out but sadly no Ross dealers in the area. Anybody here have one?

Anything cheap off eBay that is small. I see no reason to waist money on a small stream reel. I bought a case of cheap fly reels for $10.00 when I was in Korea back in the early 90's. I gave them out as gifts ands as far as I know all are still in service.

Went with the Colorado in 0/3. It's fantastic, just what the doctor ordered. Has looks that kill too.

That is a beautiful reel. Congrats

Back