Best small stream reel

drakeking412

drakeking412

I frequently find myself in small Class A streams in the summer time so my small stream rod has really become my best friend. I'm still using the Cortland CL in 7' and a redington zero in 3/4 but I HATE the zero for a couple reasons. So this season I'm looking to upgrade to something else. What's everyone's favorite small stream reel and why?

Orvis battenkill.

Modestly priced, light weight, and well made

Although mine are older ones, that were made in England.
The newer ones are made in Asia, I believe.
Still moderately priced - but I can't comment on their functionality

Small stream reels are just line holders, drag doesn’t come into play much. I tried to find decent used American made reels when I was looking, of course that was in the last century, and I never had to replace them.

Check out Lamson Liquid.

I haven't used them, but they look pretty good, and I've heard good things about them.

Has anyone here used these?

My brother has the newer battenkill and I like the fact that the cog/clicker has a lot of teeth so there isn't much play in-between clicks where the zero the reel moves a lot in-between clicks. The major downside is the arbor is very thin and line stacks too frequently on it and it's too tight in there so I voted no on it.

I have a burning hate for Lamson, I realize they're good reels at a good price point but I despise the pop off spool and they all look clunky aesthetically IMO so I don't even look at them usually.

The Galvan Brookie and the Ross Colorado are my two frontrunners right now. I got to play with a brookie for about 5 seconds one day on the stream but the guy had it on a dart with lots of shot so not what I'd be doing. My issue with it was that there was a lot of space in-between clicks with the rollers just like the zero. That just might be how they are though.

Also yes 8/10 times they are literally line holders but there's a few streams I go to that have stocked sections club or state and those fish can move so it's nice to have it if I need it

salvelinus wrote:
Galvan Brookie. It's not cheap but a great reel.

x2

I have two Okuma Sierras. $40ish. Have never failed me.

I don’t pretend it’s the best small stream reel out there, but it’s the best one for under $50. No need to spend more on a reel where your longest cast will be 30 feet and the biggest fish you catch will be 12”.

I'd stay under $100 for a small stream reel. I'd make my choice based primarily on weight of the reel.

+1 Okuma Sierra. I don't have one anymore but my old one was a workhorse. I gave it and an older rod to a friend to use.

Also, I have 2 Orvis BBSII reels that are lightweight and take a beating. You can probably find them on Ebay for $50-$80. I have over a thousand hours on one of these reels and it still works great.

Battenkill. Also fish a Pfleuger 1492 and Crown II which are showing their years but work just fine.
I agree with the opinion on the Zero. Too loud and jerky for my taste.

A cheap $20-$35 ebay special...a reel does nothing but hold line on a small stream.

I still use an old Click Martin reel for really small stuff. I have one Okuma but its too heavy for a couple of my really small rods. Just doesn't balance well. If I were going to spend any money on a reel of that size the Orvis Battenkill bar stock reel seems just about right.

Yo Tom

I have several Okuma Sierras, and they sure are bulletproof. Most of them came from the former Little Lehigh FLy Shop - kind of mercy purchases, but I am very pleased with them, especially for the money. They are on the heavy side, but then they balance well with bamboo and glass sticks.

At the French Creek Outfitters sale, I saw a new series Sierra so I grabbed it. I am surprised at the precision of the reel - there is no click or resistance in the winding in direction, and with one free spinning flip, I get dozens of revolutions.

Abel reel. I have a couple of them for my 0 through 3wt rods.

lestrout wrote:
Yo Tom

I have several Okuma Sierras, and they sure are bulletproof. Most of them came from the former Little Lehigh FLy Shop - kind of mercy purchases, but I am very pleased with them, especially for the money. They are on the heavy side, but then they balance well with bamboo and glass sticks.

At the French Creek Outfitters sale, I saw a new series Sierra so I grabbed it. I am surprised at the precision of the reel - there is no click or resistance in the winding in direction, and with one free spinning flip, I get dozens of revolutions.

I did the same thing when the Greensburg fly shop was closing. Sometimes I felt like I was the only one going in there towards the end.

There are some interesting responses here ranging from "line holders" to an Abel.

Many posts suggested what I think: At its most basic level, a small stream fly reel holds line. It also releases line.

Anti-backlash: When I fish small Class A streams I move fairly quickly, covering a lot of water. Many of these streams are in forests with lots of shrubs, fallen trees, rocks, etc. So, I reel in all line if I have to move around such obstructions. When I get to the next good looking spot, I quickly strip out line to cast. I found cheap click and pawl drag reels tend to backlash when I strip line out. My old Battenkill is bad about doing this. Drag is not just for playing big fish.

Another functional attribute is durability of finish. I frequently put my rod & reel down for various reasons. I also have the occasional drop of same. A reel with a decent finish can handle a few clumsy moments. Having said that, there is a point of diminishing returns with spending a lot on a higher end reel and the cost of a more damaging accident with the reel.

Balancing with your rod is also desirable, especially with heavier rods like glass and 'boo. Since casts are shorter, balance is less important, IMO.

Aesthetics: This one is nearly all about form. This would be the justification for a more expensive reel. If you can afford a hundreds of dollars on a dedicated brookie reel and it makes you happy to own and use it, go for it! The potential functional element is the color of the finish. This could spook fish, but I doubt it given the low position most of us hold the reel in when casting and stripping.

My bottom line: I rotated my former "best" reel, and Orvis Battenkill LA, to my brookie outfit. It has a good finish and disc drag. It balances well with my old Sage LL. THis outfits is great on small streams where there is minimal backcast room and I need to occasionally shoot 30' of line on a ling pool.

I have a cheap SA small reel that was like $35. Who cares if it gets beat off rocks.

I have hooked into large stockers from time to time and they too are no match for me pulling them in by hand.

I don't know if they sell it, but any lightweight reel under $50 would get my attention.

Ross Colorado LT -0, Hardy Marquis-1 or Hatch 12 plus.

Drakeking412:

I pick reels based on capacity & weight because I like balanced outfits when it's possible.

I believe the Cortland CL 7' rod is a 4wt graphite rod?

That means you need a lighter reel that will hold a 4wt line. I have no idea what the weight of the rod is, but I'd be shopping for something around 2.5 - 3.0 oz if you want balance which may be tricky if you need it to hold a 4wt line.

As far as what works on a small stream...anything that's in your budget.

I like Hardy because I fish mostly bamboo & glass but the really small light Hardy reels will struggle to hold a 4wt line.

Back