Best of the Year - 2023 Edition

One of mine from first ever steelhead trip

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2618.png
    IMG_2618.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 58
I didn't have a banner year by any stretch but got a few decent ones. Some of the biggest fish came from clients or friends. Here's a couple from 2023

Attachments

• OI000036.JPG
    OI000036.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 82
  • OI000051.JPG
    OI000051.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20230810_210805~2.jpg
    IMG_20230810_210805~2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 78
  • OI000078~4.JPG
    OI000078~4.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 89
This native was my first fish on the fly in February. I called out sick from work and went to a small mountain stream to fish. At that point in time a wild Brook trout was like a mythical creature to me. Ive gone on to catch many more.😁
IMG_1942.jpeg

This brown was from a Trip to the Little J. In June. It was my first time on a “big boy” stream out of my home area of Berks County. It was great to land a few fish this being the best. I was fishing a dry dropper. It was an added bonus that I was nearby some tight line fishers that I didn’t see landing any fish. A good confidence boost.
8A9EA637-2A65-4BA0-A600-F763FC7CDB46.jpeg

In addition to becoming addicted to fly fishing trout I became addicted to kayak fishing conventional gear for Smallies on the Susquehanna. Getting on to a morning top water bite of them busting baitfish is an absolute blast. This fish being my closest to a 20”.
IMG_4632.jpeg

I’ve become obsessed with fishing over the last year. With podcasts, YouTube and this forum I have learned a ton that really shortened the learning curve.

Tight lines 🎣

This native was my first fish on the fly in February. I called out sick from work and went to a small mountain stream to fish. At that point in time a wild Brook trout was like a mythical creature to me. Ive gone on to catch many more.😁
View attachment 1641233505
This brown was from a Trip to the Little J. In June. It was my first time on a “big boy” stream out of my home area of Berks County. It was great to land a few fish this being the best. I was fishing a dry dropper. It was an added bonus that I was nearby some tight line fishers that I didn’t see landing any fish. A good confidence boost.
View attachment 1641233506
In addition to becoming addicted to fly fishing trout I became addicted to kayak fishing conventional gear for Smallies on the Susquehanna. Getting on to a morning top water bite of them busting baitfish is an absolute blast. This fish being my closest to a 20”.
View attachment 1641233507
I’ve become obsessed with fishing over the last year. With podcasts, YouTube and this forum I have learned a ton that really shortened the learning curve.

Tight lines 🎣
That's a monster smallmouth! Must have put up a great fight. Congrats.

Last edited:
My best fish of the year was an 18” brown trout that I caught on a grannom pattern on the LJ in April. But I didn’t get a chance to take a photo. I also hoped I would find a few brookies this year in Maryland, but that never happened. I also had dreams of catching something worth remembering on our family trip to Costa Rica in July. My son caught a snapper and a few mackerel on our charter, but I didn’t find anything memorable in the surf.

My other experience was getting up to Penns Creek for a couple days in October. I lost a really nice fish in some pocket water above Poe Paddy. He spit the hook, but it was still a pretty fun fight.

I did manage to get photos of a couple nice fish I caught on the Savage in September.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpeg
    IMG_0032.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0033.jpeg
    IMG_0033.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 41
View attachment 1641233505
View attachment 1641233506
View attachment 1641233507

Tight lines 🎣
Smallies are a great fly fishing species, try a size 2 popper an hour before dark until and hour after dark on the susky. If you are there during a mayfly hatch you can also catch big channel catties on poppers.

Smallies are a great fly fishing species, try a size 2 popper an hour before dark until and hour after dark on the susky. If you are there during a mayfly hatch you can also catch big channel catties on poppers.
I prefer the morning bite🙂. I’m salivating just thinking of the late summer, early mornings and the top water action. If you come across them pushing baitfish up to the bank it’s about to go down 🤤

My Favorite fish of 2023...... Bighorn River, MT
Didn't measure but probably a solid 20" on a #22 BWO parachute. Love the "20/20 Club" fish 🙂
One of those crawling stalk type fish being super picky in a foot of water.
You can see the fly still hanging on for dear life in the 2nd picture!

1000005787-01.jpeg

1000005776-01.jpeg

And my best rainbow of 2023..... not quite as glamorous as the fish above. #16 PMD nymph.
1000005624-01.jpeg

This may not count, but my favorite fish this year was one my 8yo son caught. We were out on an inshore trip on the OBX, my bro and I were catching specks, drum, and flounder on the fly from a dock on an island out in the sound. My stepdad was live lining peanut bunker and my son thought that looked like fun. So he put down his Nintendo Switch, asked the captain for a rod, grabbed a peanut from the live well, and put it on the hook all by himself - for the first time ever. We were all watching out of the corners of our eyes, letting him do his thing. He clearly wanted to do big kid stuff. He threw the bunker in and -BAM- instantly hooked a flounder. Fought it in himself too. He was so pumped:
IMG_9343.jpeg

I caught an albie on the fly a couple days later about 20 miles offshore. Man that was fun. I love my central PA browns but hot dog that thing was a next level line burner. I caught many fish that were much larger than this one on that trip using spinning gear, but this was the most fun by far. Probably my own fish of the year just because it was so different from what I'm used to.

IMG_2246.jpeg

And this is the 9wt rod during the fight, such good times:

IMG_9437.jpeg

No disrespect to our trout. I absolutely cannot wait to go fishing tomorrow.

Last edited:
I prolly had my best years ever. It helped moving back to Pennsylvania and spending more time on the water. More importantly I got to fish with more people than in any year too, which was even better. Hard to even hit all the highlights: Early April caddis hatch on spring creek, Kettle Creek with college friends, Paflyfish Jamboree week on Penns, Montana in August and fall trip to Kettle. Plus a variety of days on streams all over SEPA. The bonus was the plentiful trout to hand on all the trips.

IMG_0013.jpeg

IMG_9959.jpeg
Resized_20230508_175615.jpeg

IMG_1078.jpeg

IMG_0874.jpeg

IMG_1033.jpeg

Back