Bait Fishing in Special Regs Saucon Creek

Has anyone been out on Saucon recently? When I visited last month there were almost no fish rising to a decent BWO hatch but haven't been up since. Wondering if anyone has seen increased activity lately?

I fished the Saucon on April 27th and there were a decent amount of rises. I think the fish were taking pale evening duns but I was unable to catch any. I noticed the last few times I was out there, there were a lot of fish rising compared to a month ago when there weren't any.

Has there been any DIRECT alterations to the physical structure of the stream channel in recent years? (Of the type that typically involves use of machinery.)

In the stretches surveyed or nearby?

I don't know of any new structures. A small dam was removed in the park. The stream has plenty of fish, as the Fish Commission report indicates. They can be moody, but they are there, and some are big. A buddy thinks the Fish Commission will just wait until things settle down then push the stocking, bait fishing, hatchery idea through. A flood of letters will give them second thoughts for sure. Please keep those letters coming to them:

John Arway, Executive Director, Pennsylvania Fish Commission 717-705-7801 (I’m writing and calling him).

Commissioners: Edward P. Mascharka III, Rocco S. Ali, William J. Sabatose, Leonard L. Lichvar, Eric C. Hussar, Norman R. Gavlick, G. Warren Elliott, Steven M. Ketterer, Glade Squires. See the first pages of this thread for Erik's talking points. I think letters sent to the HQ in Harrisburg will get to the right destination.

Commissioner [insert name here]
Pennnsylvania Fish Commission
1601 Elmerton Avenue
PO Box 67000
Harrisburg, PA 17106-7000

Here's my letter. I don't think the point about senior anglers has been made before:

It has come to my attention that commissioners are considering allowing stocking and bait fishing in the trophy water on Saucon Creek in Hellertown. A hatchery is also proposed. Well-intentioned, but misguided people have pushed this ill-advised proposal. They have put forth the idea that such a move would draw lots of kids, giving them a place to fish.

But let’s take a look at this claim. Would more kids fish if the proposal were enacted? As a grandfather, father, and family man, I value children, and have taught many to fish. The Saucon Creek's total length is over 14 miles and the special reg area is about 2 miles long. Kids and their dads have over 12 miles of stream to fish any way they want already--with flies, lures, or bait. And they have a park at the Grist Mill. In addition, the Little Lehigh and Monocacy offer many, many miles of easy access park settings for all-tackle fishing. It’s simply not true that there’s no place for kids to fish. The decline in kids fishing has many causes, and changing the regulations in the Saucon Trophy water won’t fix that.

But what it will do is likely ruin a very special fishery, unlike any other in the state. Wild fish thrive in the Trophy section of the Saucon, and big wild browns rise to multiple hatches.

Studies indicate trout that swallow bait deeply more often than artificial lures or flies, and once hooked in the gills a fish will die, even if released. The restriction on bait fishing helps protect the wild browns, including the larger breeding fish, from being killed before they can reproduce. That helps keep the gene pool strong. Furthermore, and you know better than most, stocking over wild fish disrupts feeding and breeding patterns, degrading the fishery. A hatchery would pollute the stream, degrading it further.

Some have mistakenly claimed that only a few of the same guys fish the Saucon in the park. I know this to be a mistaken perception. Yes, a few of the same guys are often around, but the hundreds of other guys like me who show up over the course of a season rotate a great deal. Many of us have been fishing the stream for many years, and we fish it year round. Many of us are seniors, who have a hard time getting around on swift, boulder filled streams. The Saucon special regs area is a paradise for older anglers who appreciate wild fish. We fish in the park, and outside the park, but we all know the bait, hatchery, and stocking proposal will damage the fishery, not to mention closing this part of the stream during the blue wing olive hatch to older anglers who fish it then.

So, please protect the Saucon’s wild browns and our access to them. If you allow a hatchery, stocking, and bait fishing in Saucon Park, we all will lose a special part of Pennsylvania’s heritage and resources that may never be brought back.

Respectfully yours,

Overall it has suffered from excessive siltation (like every stream in the Lehigh Valley) but within a portion of the park in the area adjacent to where the dam was removed it actually got better and removing that dam has helped to better usher the silt down and out thru the system but it takes time and it's not the only solution.

Saucon has been fishing very well lately (most likely the best in the last several springs)

Fish are moody for sure. But solid hatches the other day produced a lot of fish. Some decent sizes (up to 18")

Overall I can not say its were it was 5 years ago, but I get a feeling its on an up swing from the low point.

My fear was (still is) that the people that want to change the regs, are going to use the decrease in fish numbers as support to why they should stock the stream. That of course is counter to every study on how to restore or enhance a wild fishery.

The Saucon has fished well for me lately though I have not been out on it for a little over a week. Hope I've not missed the bulk of the sulphur hatch. I had two afternoons where I caught 6 fish with 4 16"-17" plus 2 tiddlers. One afternoon had a good caddis hatch. The other, early last week had a mixed caddis and, later in the afternoon, some smaller sulphurs started with the continuing caddis. This is the best Spring I've had on the stream in probably 3-4 years, at least since the last big storm came through. Immediately after that storm things went downhill. I had several trips that were fishless, something that was uncommon prior to the storm.

I've always found the Saucon browns to be moody. The day I spoke of above, when there were lots of caddis hatching, I did not see a single rise. All my fish were caught on nymphs. Last Week, there were a few fish rising but, given the quantity of insects on the water, you'd expect more surface action. I will say that I;ve been on that stream this time of year when there were clouds of sulphurs hatching but very few fish rising. Again, I caught my fish on nymphs.

martinlf, I did not think of the senior angler "angle". For me, that's a definite issue. I can still get around reasonably well but not so well, for example, that I feel confident going to the Lehigh River gorge below Francis Walter Dam and fishing alone. The special regulations area on the Saucon offers easy access for those of us who have been at this for a lot of years.

I was just informed that the Mayor of Bethlehem has weighed in with the PFBC in favor of KEEPING the current regulations.

Thanks to everyone who supported this with comments and letters.

The focus should now shift heavily to the PFBC Commissioners, as this topic will be brought up at the July 11, 12 meeting.

While the PFBC strongly considers the landowner desires as they pertain to regulations, they (PFBC) are ultimately the governing body in that regard.

Thanks again.

Erik

Erik, thank you for your tireless work on this issue. As you say, now the focus shifts to the commissioners.

Also, thanks to all who wrote the mayor. If the commissioners get a flood of letters before their July meeting they certainly will have to think twice about pushing this through. Join us in speaking out for wild trout. See details above.

ebroesicke wrote:
I was just informed that the Mayor of Bethlehem has weighed in with the PFBC in favor of KEEPING the current regulations.

Thanks to everyone who supported this with comments and letters.

The focus should now shift heavily to the PFBC Commissioners, as this topic will be brought up at the July 11, 12 meeting.

While the PFBC strongly considers the landowner desires as they pertain to regulations, they (PFBC) are ultimately the governing body in that regard.

Thanks again.

Erik

Not a bad idea to write another letter to the mayor thanking him for his support.

Good suggestion Franklin. I just sent him a thank you note.

I've sent the mayor a note, and plan to mail follow up letters in July to all commissioners to refresh their memories on the salient points. I'll ask them to respect the mayor's decision as well. Again, thanks to all who are speaking out for the Saucon's wild browns.

Hi, I'm revisiting this thread because I just watched the video of the PA Fish Commission's July meeting. They tabled the Saucon discussion. I'm not sure why they don't just declare this issue dead; the mayor of Bethlehem has said he doesn't want stocking, bait, and a hatchery in the Saucon Park, and would like to keep the current regs as they are. Furthermore the Executive Director of the Fish Commission sent me a letter saying that the PAFBC usually abides by the wishes of landowners (i.e. the mayor). Unless they are waiting for things to die down then bring this up again. So please be vigilant and let's watch for what happens at the September meeting. You can watch video of the meetings on the Fish Commission website. It's instructive.

Those damn bait slobs anyhow throwing big meat all day.

Hi guys, I just listened to the PA Fish Commissioners' September Meeting. The Fisheries Committee chaired by Andy Shiels mentioned a "Saucon Creek Trophy Trout Section Alternatives Analysis Update" and said they had discussed the item, but they did not give any information about what they actually discussed. He just said they discussed it. I sent a letter to each commissioner and Arway before the meeting urging them to reject changes and reminding them the mayor of Bethlehem doesn't want any changes to the current regulations. Please help me keep an eye on their meetings; you can watch them on YouTube via a link on the Fish Commission Website. Some guys think they will try to let this die down then sneak it in when nobody is watching. They've talked about skipping public comment before.

This is my post from the PFBC meeting agenda thread:
A TU member who was at the meeting sent me a run down of the discussion, which was long and heated. Apparently Squires was very upset the Mayor doesn't want the Regs changed, and wants to push forward even though the landowner (city) has no desire to pursue this. Andy Shiels presented two options for new regs, changing to all tackle, and creating a "kids" section that could be stocked by sportsmans clubs.

One othe important piece of info from the meeting is the fact that brook trout that were stocked by the PFBC were found to have gill lice. They were discover by biologists surveying a stream, and both stocked and wild brookies were infected. All the remaining brookies at the hatchery were destroyed.

I will be attending a TU meeting October 26th to discuss this issue.

ebroesicke wrote:
This is my post from the PFBC meeting agenda thread:
A TU member who was at the meeting sent me a run down of the discussion, which was long and heated. Apparently Squires was very upset the Mayor doesn't want the Regs changed, and wants to push forward even though the landowner (city) has no desire to pursue this. Andy Shiels presented two options for new regs, changing to all tackle, and creating a "kids" section that could be stocked by sportsmans clubs.

One othe important piece of info from the meeting is the fact that brook trout that were stocked by the PFBC were found to have gill lice. They were discover by biologists surveying a stream, and both stocked and wild brookies were infected. All the remaining brookies at the hatchery were destroyed.

I will be attending a TU meeting October 26th to discuss this issue.

Any indication which hatchery supplied the brook trout?

Also a few more letters to the mayor would help. These guys rarely get positive feedback. So it should have great effect.

Thanks Erik and Franklin. Let's keep an eye on this and also get folks writing the Fish Commission if they make a specific proposal. I'm so glad TU is staying involved. Can't believe Squires won't just give it up. He seems determined to degrade the stream.

Back