Bait Fishing in Special Regs Saucon Creek

PC the stream section under special regs is right through an urban park. Very common when fishing on weekends in season to see both violators fishing bait and violators keeping fish below minimum regulation size. I've seen more violations in a couple days fishing here than I have in years on all other PA streams combined.

pcray1231 wrote:
Mike,

No dog in this particular hunt, and lacking experience in this particular location, my comments should be taken as a more "general" opinion as opposed to tailored for this location.

From most concerning to least in places like these:

1. Stocking
2. Harvest
3. Tackle/offering type.

agree. I'm not sure why there is such a hardon for guys who use bait.

Mike wrote:
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I am curious about the general thoughts being expressed. What is the bigger concern here...the idea of allowing bait fishing OR is it the idea of stocking?
I'm going to take a stab at this. First and foremost a proposal to change the regulations on Saucon Creek got virtually no comment from bait fishermen the last time a change was made., that would have been when the Selective Harvest Program was ended.
This stream is good because the wild trout population is one of the highest populations of wild trout in Pennsylvania, and has to do with the halting of stocking in the early 90's when the stream was found to have a "Class A" population of just over 40 Kg/Ht. It went from there to around 200 Kg/Ht. in a couple of years when stocking ended.
The lack of fishermen fishing with kids more than likely has as much to do with a high crime rate and people from NYC invading the park on weekends as it does with actually catching fish. That's my second point.
My third point is, no one is forbidden to fish this section, it's only the use of bait that is restricted. Bait fishing for wild trout has been shown to have a much higher mortality rate then other fishing types. Parking is or can be a problem on weekends with heavy park use.
Four; The point about stocking is that stocked fish will compromise the gene pool of the wild fish present. We know this from over 125 years of stocking. This is a stream that has a good wild trout population from the headwaters to the mouth and in all the tributaries. This fact alone makes it a poor candidate for stocking. This is after all a heavily used trout stream. There are also more than enough big fish there to guarantee a fun outing.
Finally it is NEVER about kids fishing, it's always about getting the adults out to fish.
edit: what Franklin says.

I sent an email to the mayor. Followed that up with a few mid day hours on the Saucon today and had one of my best days ever on the stream.

The quantity and quality of the fish that I caught today confirmed that emails and letters are worth sending.

another problem is: if you open it up to bait fishing,people are going to try to use beadheads soon there after. precedents.

buckspa, glad the stream treated you well. Thanks for your email. Each one counts toward saving the resource.

Yo mart

I talked tonight to a Hellertown resident who has family access to the mayor. He will talk to that office today.

I will echo martinlf's thanks for everyone who has voiced there concerns to the City of Bethlehem. It is important that they know there is another side to the discussion.

I also tend to agree with Chaz.

I also question the direction of conservation in PA if: we go through the trouble of regulating a fishery to improve it, demonstrate that it improved with field surveys, and then decided none of that matters and go back regs that may damage the fishery.

Comparing the Saucon to the LL it seems to me that the Saucon has weathered the development in the watershed better than the LL. It has the potential to be a really great stream. In some ways it is but I've noticed a degradation around the park area over the past 10 years.

lestrout, that will go a long way. Many thanks to you, and to others taking a stand here. Each message to the mayor brings hope.

Send in those letters and emails!

Don't be diverted from this by endless internet discussions, which the decision makers will never see.

Stay focused, stay "on task", as the saying goes.

Or, "Git er done", as another saying goes.

I would highly suggest that if you are interested in the City of Bethlehem keeping these regs you send a note to the Mayor.

Thanks to those that have sent letters of support, but this is not over.

The other side is lobbying hard.

I sent in a quick email today. Hopefully it isn't too late in the battle.

I never had the opportunity to fish Saucon, but this just doesn't sound like good news for the stream.

I sent out a letter to the mayor last week.

Thanks Jake and streamerguy.

This issue has not been decided yet as far as I know.

yo ebro

should we organize a stream cleanup after Opening Day, sponsored by TU and any other environmental groups? With photo opps for the local paper and Channel 69, we could plant a sound bite talking about discarded worm cups. Also, some preplanning could draw in visitors from afar, which would make for some human interest hooks and drive the point that both local and visiting fly anglers use the stream. It would be good to tie in a Boy Scout troop to earn points for badges, and it would be great if we could enlist a similar bunch of nubile teeny boppers, which would broaden the appeal away from just a slovenly cluster of grizzled anglers. Which social media sites would be best for publicity? If the master-baiters are continuing a local lobbying effort, we need to fight fire with fire. Or, better yet, reduce the conditions for the fire.

Les:

Good idea. Let me see what I can put together. There are a few hurdles, but it is probably doable....

I sent an email to the Mayor outlining the issues and the need to protect this unique stream in an urbanized area while not bashing the bait/stocking lobbyists.

Awesome. All the attention and letters will go a long way.

Yes, many have looked in on this thread. If most wrote an email, the mayor will realize how important wild fish are to us. The decision has not been made yet. Let your voice be heard.

Back