Articulated Fly Swap

I'll make mine the chubby muffin.

I just tied some singles for myself and love how they look.

6624514827_e32300bd8f_b.jpg

Just gotta think of a back end for it. This will be fun.

Great! I'm glad to see there was so much interest.

I agree that Foxgap should definately take part. This is a great chance to try something new and see how others tie similar flies. No one here is going to bust your stones about what your flies look like so give it a go! Like someone else said these big streamers aren't supposed to be works of art. Whatever you spin up will be great.

If Foxgap is in then the swap is full. If not we still have one spot left. Here is the lineup so far:

flyfishermanj - TBA
goodfortune - TBA
SBecker - TBA
sniperfreak223 - TBA
GRP - Black Circus Peanut
midnightangler - Pictured fly (not sure the name)
Jay348 - Chubby muffin with something on the back
HuntinFool - TBA
Foxgap239------------will he or won't he-------

Articulated Ice Pick

That my friend is a very nice fly, in fact I think my brother may have swiped that out of my box when I wasn't looking!

JH

Yea, I really liked the ice pick you sent last time. Can not remember how I lost mine. I need another!

SBecker wrote:
Yea, I really liked the ice pick you sent last time. Can not remember how I lost mine. I need another!

flyfishermanj wrote:
That my friend is a very nice fly, in fact I think my brother may have swiped that out of my box when I wasn't looking!

JH

okay then, any color preferences? If not, I'm thinking brown over yellow, as kinda a baby brown trout pattern.

nealfish wrote:
i don't jave the ability to tie flys like that, but was wondering, how do you attach the hooks together?

I use a loop of 7-strand beading wire and a few glass beads to prevent fouling.

sniperfreak223 wrote:

I use a loop of 7-strand beading wire and a few glass beads to prevent fouling.

I use a similar technique. Some red coated wire from the jewelry section of Michael's. Not exactly sure of the brand or the strength since I'm at work right now. Then slip a bead or two (depending on bead size and fly size) over the wire.

thankks guys. i'm gonna give it a try so i can get in on this next year :)

wait. how do you attach the loop to the front hook? do you just tie it on?

Yep

Brown & Yellow, Brown & Yellow!!

I will hide those until I hit the Little J!! Think a safety deposit box is too extreme??

JH

Yea I will agree, brown and yellow.

okay then, brown and yellow it is...might even do a tutorial when my materials get in.

I'd also like to add, this is NOT my own original pattern, just my favorite big baitfish imitation.

So we still have one spot left if Foxgap is not in.

two questions...

Would a thicker hook be overkill for one of these streamers? The ones I've got have a wider gap (which gives some clearance over the rabbit strip), but they're a little on the heavy side...almost like a bass hook.

6656851101_fdb7e68407_b.jpg

They aren't especially long either, but I feel like short strikes aren't as much of an issue with flies this size. Let me know what you guys think.

Attempt #1

6644841425_984d712f61.jpg

Now to try a different color combo...

jay348 wrote:
two questions...

Would a thicker hook be overkill for one of these streamers? The ones I've got have a wider gap (which gives some clearance over the rabbit strip), but they're a little on the heavy side...almost like a bass hook.

6656851101_fdb7e68407_b.jpg

They aren't especially long either, but I feel like short strikes aren't as much of an issue with flies this size. Let me know what you guys think.

Attempt #1

6644841425_984d712f61.jpg

Now to try a different color combo...

Not really, I use the same hooks for my bass flies that I use for most of my articulated streamers. Mustad 3366, if anyone was wondering...

DSCF2234.JPG

I will be tying a Galloup's Barely Legal.

JH

Ok so here is the updated list. Still have one spot open...FoxGap?

flyfishermaj - Galloup's Barely Legal
goodfortune - TBA
SBecker - TBA
Sniperfreak - Articulated Ice Pick
GRP - Black Circus Peanut
midnightangler - Pictured fly
Jay348 - Chubby Muffin
HuntinFool - TBA
bobbymo - Peanut Envy

One more spot left.....any takers?

Jay348,
Now that's a great sculpin! (or Chubby Muffin or whatever)

Thanks FI!

The pattern isn't mine, but I love how it looks in the water. I fished the single version this weekend for a bit...very fishy.

Shoulda seen me trying to cast the double on my 5wt tho...that was just funny.

Back