Are you ready ? The fall run is almost upon us .........

Went to LBI Friday after thanksgiving. To say the least yea it's gonna take some time for middle to upper NJ beaches to recover. Everyone had a for foot pile of water damage things out to be picked up by the trash men. Wasn't fly fishing for two reasons first I wanted to catch something I could bring home, and second the two people I was with were spin fishing. Got there and my buddy landed two shorts about 14 inches. Then I hooked into something huge. Felt like a 40 pound bass. It ended up being a couch pillow. Thing must of went 70 pounds soaking wet. Fished bait the rest of the day ended up wit one bass that went 22 inches. There were also many micro bass landed by my friend.
After seeing it and talking to a local I kinda lost the drive to hit the salt for the rest of the year. The guy I talked to said he lost his home and is just trying to get things together. Felt real bad for him. The beaches are also all messed up. It's good for fishing but not for people.

Marc

Marc,
Thanks for the eyewitness report. I'm usually jazzed for the salt by this time of year but this year.....not so much. It's just too depressing. There are certainly folks fishing and I don't blame 'em (either local or tourists) - it's a judgement call. December is often a very good month at the NJ shore but I doubt I'd personally care to go there this year. Perhaps further south(?).

Fish are around but most places they are towing cars and writting treaspassing tickets. Not worth it for me, these places are having enough trouble.

Sand eels are begining to be the the way to go the past 2 nights around cape may area. Early morning and out going tides seem to be doing well. Weakies as well have been caught. Past 2 days we got 20 plus fish on. and tons of misses. My buddy got a monster will post a pic soon,.

Got out today in Brigantine. Real heavy fog in the am that burned off around noonish. Wind wasn't too bad 5-10 mph, S - SW. Water was a little dirty too.

Nothing going on anywhere. We talked to a bunch of guys who all said the samething. I heard of a few shorts being caught off the shore on bait but that was it.

Shrewsbury Rocks was the place to be today, at least that was the case if you were in a boat. My usual fishing group of four landed 60 stripers, including 6 from 28-33". I was not along....par for the course.

Can you get on the Hook or ISB jetties yet?

Lonewolve wrote:

Can you get on the Hook or ISB jetties yet?

As of today no

Frederick,
Thanks for the heads up.

If you have facebook betty and nicks has a page on there that is were I get all my info regarding the park i'm sure soon as the park reopens it will be posted all over that page .

I don't know if they made any changes but the islands were closed for 8 months. I was in LBI it's a mess. From what I know IBSP got it a lot worse. I'd say stay south.

At least 4-5 jetties in the Belmar area were being used by anglers today.

Angling today for the 4-man boat was not great. Nineteen stripers (18-27 in) were caught (none of legal size) over about a 5.5 hr fishing period. Yesterday was a different story, however. A full day trip for four produced between 140 and 160 stripers, including some from the surface. The gang of four lost the exact count somewhere along the line. Eleven of the fish were of legal size. The fishing clearly varies from day to day, but the fish are certainly available in quantity on the right day.

Neat vid. I've seen bluefish do that and blow the bait right up on the beach or rocks.

Thursday and Friday produced excellent results in the Belmar to Shrewsbury Rocks area via boat. Each day four guys fished for stripers. A dawn to dusk effort on Thursday yielded 142 stripers and one blue. Limits of legal fish were caught at the end of the day. Friday produced 105 stripers and one blue from 7 am to 2:30 pm. The big difference on Friday was that 25 percent of the fish were of the 28 in legal size and longer...up to 35 inches. Kayakers were on the water as well. Jetties in the Belmar vicinity were in use.

Mike wrote:
Thursday and Friday produced excellent results in the Belmar to Shrewsbury Rocks area via boat. Each day four guys fished for stripers. A dawn to dusk effort on Thursday yielded 142 stripers and one blue. Limits of legal fish were caught at the end of the day. Friday produced 105 stripers and one blue from 7 am to 2:30 pm. The big difference on Friday was that 25 percent of the fish were of the 28 in legal size and longer...up to 35 inches. Kayakers were on the water as well. Jetties in the Belmar vicinity were in use.

Wow Mike!....glad to see some guys are doing well in the salt. Hopefully you were one of the 4!? :)

I was in on the Friday action. What a day!

I fished NOMOCO on Sunday caught two about 20" had a big fish blow up on my BMG about a rods length away either the fish missed the fly or it seen me and stop at the last second. No bait to be found egrets were fishing the same time as me and I only seen them catch some small crabs . I might be heading out again on xmass for a early morning trip if anyone is interested .

Fredrick wrote:
had a big fish blow up on my BMG about a rods length away either the fish missed the fly or it seen me and stop at the last second. .

giant trevally?

Back