Anyone familiar w/ buying flies on internet?

Some of these flies have a blue flashy material on them what are they I have never seen them before or are they just some goofy creation. Its the 1st pic of the bunch on the bottom row. Yeah I showed my father-in-law those flies and he is over 50 but not much over 50 and he said I'll be damned if you think I am tying them on I can't even see the eye of the hook. I guess when your younger you got a little bit better eyesight than the older generation.

Dear chetty,

That blue flashy stuff is flashback or flashabou. It's a synthetic irridescent ribbon like material. That's the stuff on the flashback copper johns which are the flies with the copper wire bodies.

About 10 years or so ago the guys out West started using it for wing pads on nymphs instead of the traditional wing quill cut from a turkey or goose quill that we use out East. It obviously adds quite a bit of flash to the fly and it seems to work.

I can still tie those small flies on but it sucks when I get snagged and lose them and have to start the whole process over again because it definitely takes a lot longer than it did 20 years ago!

Don't worry, with any sort of luck at all you'll be complaining to the younger guys 20 years from now. ;-)

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Tim,

I understand what flashabou is but it is incorporated into the body pf the fly not for the wing casing like most is. I just never seen it tied into the body like you would copper wire.

skeeter wrote:
I use to buy from BlueFlyCafe.com, not to patronize either. I just went to their website and it got a make over, as well as there flys they sell I don't know what BFX is though?

Blue Fly Xtreme

Got my new flies on Monday, ordered them on friday. Fast enough for me. Very happy with the flies I purchased from The Fly Stop!!!!! 100 flies for $54 what a bargain. I will go back.

Yup. I've ordered from them many times and have been very happy with the quality of the flies and speed of shipping. At this point in my fishing career, it is a no-brainer to purchase over tying. That day will come though... :-D

Back